Help with RMS

Capt. Speirs

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am trying to learn how to use the RMS. I have looked at a few tutorials from Shuttle Fleet and STS Payloads. The tutorials are fine and I can manipulate the arm, however, I thought the arm was controlled by using a joystick type configuration. The entering of speed, degrees, joints, seems very complex and inaccurate. I must be missing something here, how do the Shuttle crew do it?

What I am looking for is "
[SIZE=-1]Robot arm operation (STS-92)[/SIZE]SRMS is operated inside the Space Shuttle cabin. The operation is performed from the aft flight deck (AFD), right behind the cockpit, either through the window or by watching two TV monitors.
To control the SRMS, the operator uses the translational hand controller (THC) with his or her left hand and manipulates the rotational hand controller (RHC) with his or her right hand."

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You have essentially two important frames of reference: Joint coordinate frame and the orbiter coordinate system.

The Joint coordinate system is made of the joint angles, like you already noticed.

The orbiter coordinate system allows moving the arm by cartesian coordinates and RPY angles. For this, you also have different coordinate systems available: Orbiter, end effector, payload and also any other frame of reference.

SSU attempts on replicating this second way of using the RMS, but I think the last state was, that there is still only fine tuning left for the RMS.

Capt. Speirs

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I guess what I am looking for is some way to control the arm with a joystick (X52 Pro) by holding down a button for a particular joint and then manipulating that joint with the joystick x, y, and r axis. I have a feeling that I do not understand the complexity of the RMS and therefore I probably and requesting something that is not possible. Maybe someone can point me to a document that explains how the RMS works in detail. I thought that the arm had sensors or video to help with manipulation for accurate grappling. I can only imagine if the arm hits something it could be catastrophic.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I guess what I am looking for is some way to control the arm with a joystick (X52 Pro) by holding down a button for a particular joint and then manipulating that joint with the joystick x, y, and r axis. I have a feeling that I do not understand the complexity of the RMS and therefore I probably and requesting something that is not possible. Maybe someone can point me to a document that explains how the RMS works in detail. I thought that the arm had sensors or video to help with manipulation for accurate grappling. I can only imagine if the arm hits something it could be catastrophic.

Try

http://www.shuttlepresskit.com/scom/219.pdf