Question Help needed - Post your Space Pictures for the new version of Arrow Freighter

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
This thread is about posting pictures for the "ambiance screen" of the new Arrow Freighter coming soon.

Please read carefully before posting pics.

DONE / TODO

I propose that we do "landed/flying BodyName" (48 images) only for the major destination (Europa, Titan, Moon etc etc). Other or those where the Arrow is not supposed to land (Venus, Jupiter) might have only a "Image_BodyName". Again we need only for body 12 images and 5 technical, I will fill the blank with other generic. (Arrow status, survey cam)

I'll update the status here: (status updated until post 69 : http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=361428&postcount=69 )

Ariel- Done 21 done (14-dgatsoulis 7 dansteph)
Callisto- Done 21 done (21-dgatsoulis)
Deimos- Done 24 done (8-Joffrey 16-dansteph)
Dione- Done 24 done (24-dansteph)
Earth - Done (Dansteph)
Enceladus- Done 21 (21-dgatsoulis)
Europa- Done 24 done (24- Dansteph)
Ganymede- Done 14 done (14-dgatsoulis)
Iapetus- Done 21 done (21-dgatsoulis)
Io- Done 24 done (24-dgatsoulis)
Jupiter-Done 17 (3-NovaSilisko 14-Joffrey)
Mars- Done 17 done (17-Joffrey 5 dansteph)
Mercury- Done 21 done (19-dgatsoulis 2-n122vu)
Mimas- Done 24 (24-dansteph)
Miranda- Done 24 (24-dansteph)
Moon- Done 41 (30-dansteph 6-Ghostrider 5-dgatsoulis)
Neptune- Done 24 done (10-astrosammy, 1-Keatah 13-dansteph)
Phobos- Done 24 done (8-Joffrey 16 dansteph)
Pluto- Done 24 done (4-Alfastar 20 dansteph)
Rhea- Done 24 done (7-Milouse 17 dansteph)
Saturn- Done 24 done (3-Pipcard 14-Joffrey 7-dansteph)
Titan- Done 24 done (24-dgatsoulis)
Tethys- Done 24 done (24-dansteph)
Umbriel- Done 24 (24-dansteph)
Uranus- Done 24 done (9-boyan3001 15-dansteph)
Venus- Done 14 done (14-dgatsoulis)

Body Name: (24 images)

Miss very small Saturn jupiter and uranus moon.

Deepspace: (as much as you want)

Deepspace 24 done (6-Keatah 6-boyan3001 12-dansteph)

Other, technic, generic(3-Keatah)

Presentation of the new ambiance screen system :

The arrow contain three new "roof ambiance screen" that cycle with (fake) image of system information and context picture. It give a great feeling of being in a real ship.

Two images worth thousand words:

2012Arrow16.jpg

This one is contextual, you'll have earth flight plan and orbit map only on earth.
2012Arrow15.jpg

And this one just show the new Arrow Freighter with great new features:
2012Arrow17.jpg

The sources images are taken from one 1024x1024 image that contain 24 pictures. The source can depend of the context, this mean you can have one specifically for each SOI (deimos, mars, jupiter, moon etc. etc.) and status (landed, flying) . For example while approaching Europa or Mars the screens can start to display image of them and once landed you can have topological data, radar and related to the body. This is a great add for ambiance and a great reward that add a lot to the feeling of being there. The problem here is that without the pictures this great feature is useless, no source image for Io or Venus mean you'll end with the default "generic" images displayed.

As it would take me weeks to get, cut and resize hundred images I need your help. If 10 users do 10-20 images each we can end with the work done in no time.

How it work technically : (Short)

The arrow search the source image (that contain 24 pics) in this order:

1-First with the name of the SOI and status ie: "Landed_Jupiter" or "Flying_Jupiter" (2x24= 48 images possible for this SOI context)
2-If not found it search only with planet name that will be displayed both flying or landed : "Image_Jupiter" (24 images)
3-And if still not found it reverse to generic default (default landed/flying)

Each source should not contain 24 pic of the body but only 10-12 maximum, the other still display ship system, internal camera, engine room and other technical (fake) information. Think about what would display a real ship approaching or landed on a body.

How to do:

-Post your pictures in this thread
-Size for each image must be exactly 254 pixels x 168 and properly cut.
-Lossless format or higher quality possible (bmp for example)
-Prefer dark or black background, white don't display well. (But I can colorize them a bit)
-Not artistic, unrealistic (too sci-fi) or dated. (A photo of Apollo would be completely unrelated, it's not a screen saver but technical display)
-Each source might contain 10-12 body image and 4-5 new "technical" (engine room, radar or system data, the goal is to be vague or/and unreadable as in example above)

Some example of good/bad:

Bad - low quality, sci-fi, a real ship would not show this.
attachment.php

Bad quality and too "Artist"
trip1.jpg

Bad because of the wrong size and frame not removed. (cut/resize is what take a lot of time) Otherwise could be great.
13127d1247615155-odd-spectrum-noise-sennheiser-ew100-sennheiser-audio.jpg

Great, exactly what needed, it look technical but we don't know what is it exactly.
attachment.php

Great for "Flying_Europa" source. I can add some unreadable text to make it look technical.
2012Arrow18.jpg

Great for "landed_Europa", I can add also somes misc data.
2012Arrow19.jpg

Great for "landed_Europa" or "flying_europa", I can add also somes misc data.
2012Arrow20.jpg

Great for "landed_Moon" or "flying_Moon".
2012Arrow21.jpg

Thanks ! I'm sure it will look great !!!

Last edited:

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here's some for Jupiter:

m2Wuh.png

JlVGV.png

6KHz3.png

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
More In detail how it work technically :

Each skin directory can also contain the source images and the Arrow search first in the current skin directory.

Mean you can make a "Europa minner" skin and provide also your "landed_europa" and "flying_europa" source that will override the default one.

So the complete search is:

• -Search "Flying/Landed_Body" in current skin directory
  • -Not found -Search "Flying/Landed_Body" in defaut directory.
  • -Search "Body" in current skin directory
  • -Not found -Search "Body" in defaut directory.
  • -Not found -Reverse to default "landed/flying"

Also out of any SOI the source is "Image_DeepSpace"

And even more complex side note:
The images don't repeat until all the 24 have been displayed.
Also the first screen randomly prefer the first 8 images of the source, the second image 9-16 and the third image 17-24. I have done that so it look like each screen is more dedicated to a certain type of display (survey cam, instrument, external image). You can see this more or less on the image below:

Here's the actual "Landed_Earth" as example: As you see there is some "in context" image specific to earth. The "flying_earth" show more orbital stuff. (Lower quality due to jpg compression)

2012Arrow22.jpg

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
For those just reading this for the first time. A great source of images (and some graphs) are here! Type in the planetary body or instrument name and download the images. --
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/index.php -- Then you can change the colors and gussy'em up and resize till match the criteria.

Some search suggestions, look at a list of instruments used on the Voyagers, Galileo, Cassini, and others. Then look at the images and data plots generated by them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Program#Instruments_and_sensors
...and go from there!

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Great thanks.

One good keyword is "topographic", this give great images for landed source.

Try "topographic Mars" to see an example.

Keatah

Reaction score
Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Great work :thumbup: Keep going please !

Keatah, your's are also great but might be distributed across several sources so I don't count them immediately (as I don't know yet where they will go) but don't worry I'll count them.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about some random constellations from the DSS with prominent stars highlighted and some navigational data being rendered on top of it? Like stellar navigation.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
What about some random constellations from the DSS with prominent stars highlighted and some navigational data being rendered on top of it? Like stellar navigation.

That might go on the "image_deepspace" source (out of any SOI). On planet approach or landed more "in topic" are better. (or maybe 2 or 3? That can't arm)

BTW about this I wonder if I'll not do two deepspace to have 48 images available instead of 24. After all this beast is made for long trip and 24 might be too short and repeating.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I've already gathered ~30 images for Mercury, will process and post them, when I get home from work. (~ 4 hours).