Question Help needed - Post your Space Pictures for the new version of Arrow Freighter

boyan3001

Reaction score
You can also put BSoD as an Ester Egg to appear in some totaly unrelated moment :lol:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Mercury

M21.jpg
M20.jpg

M19.jpg
M18.jpg

M17.jpg
M16.jpg

M15.jpg
M14.jpg

M13.jpg

M12.jpg
M11.jpg

M10.jpg
M9.jpg

M8.jpg
M7.jpg

M6.jpg
M5.jpg

M4.jpg
M3.jpg

M2.jpg
M1.jpg

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
wow great work dgatsoulis !

I'll update the count later (I'm working on code right now)

Keatah

Reaction score
One thing I believe sometimes needs to be done is to correctly scale the circular objects. In some cases round planetary bodies are looking stretched or compressed like an egg and not completely circular. You'd need to use a paint program to do this.

This sucks because it really only affects round object like planets and moons! And that's what these screens are all about! Well..

This is how I've done it on some of my images.

1- Load the original image, rescale it close to 254x168, it is important to maintain the original aspect ratio, whatever it may be. You won't get 254x168 exactly. And it might work better doing it a little smaller. Just reduce one axis and let the paint program calculate the other axis. Thus retaining the original round shape and aspect ratio.

2- Now cut the shrunken planet out. It's smaller and still exactly circular at this time. And will remain so.

3- Reload the original image again. Resize it down to 254x168. Blot out the original planet and paste in the symmetrically resized planet from step 2.

Some images need this, some don't. It all depends on how close the original source image is to the 1.51 : 1 aspect ratio used on the Arrow's screens. This generally doesn't need to be done for crescent and partly lit planets, or status screens and graphs and text and charts.

Now if I can only make my images darker, more moodier, denser, and more monochromatic. I have a tendency (from art-photography hobby) to make everything bright and cheery!
Note: ..Must remember to make status screens with cleaner lines and green/red overall.

Last edited:

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
BTW about this I wonder if I'll not do two deepspace to have 48 images available instead of 24. After all this beast is made for long trip and 24 might be too short and repeating.
Like this is coming up here, you may need even more than 24 pictures for other situations too! :)

Couldn't you actually add number after the filename. So if people want to make more for certain bodies, they could for example add more pictures instead of replacing them, e.g. "ScrLanded_Earth0.dds", "ScrLanded_Earth1.dds", "ScrLanded_Earth23.dds", "ScrLanded_Earth9999.dds"?

Keatah

Reaction score
That might go on the "image_deepspace" source (out of any SOI). On planet approach or landed more "in topic" are better. (or maybe 2 or 3? That can't arm)

BTW about this I wonder if I'll not do two deepspace to have 48 images available instead of 24. After all this beast is made for long trip and 24 might be too short and repeating.

Absolutely yes! I didn't want to bug you and ask for more features and stuff. But with folks beginning to provide images, 48 (or more!) is certainly a good thing.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My meaningless contribution...

moon1h.png
moon2g.png

moon2g.png
moon4.png

scrn1q.png
scrn2v.png

scrn3yftx.png
scrn4.png

The Moon pictures are mine, the rest are screenshots taken from a Wang and a PET emulator (monochromatic screens are so early '80s) and from the Astronomy Lab 2 and GraphCalc programs.

Keatah

Reaction score
No contributions are meaningless here. They give us all ideas on what to try next.
I'll be happy if, out of say 100 images I post, 3 or 4 get selected! And the ones that don't may be suitable for special operations and/or new scenarios and graphics packs.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Couldn't you actually add number after the filename. So if people want to make more for certain bodies, they could for example add more pictures instead of replacing them, e.g. "ScrLanded_Earth0.dds", "ScrLanded_Earth1.dds", "ScrLanded_Earth23.dds", "ScrLanded_Earth9999.dds"?

That's a great idea. (but the fixed name make that different add ons may overwrite themselves, the top would be a mix of fixed and unique name "ScrLanded_Earth_ByPillipMorris.dds", and the program scan the directory and can grab up to 99)

It will then switch to next every 24.

Practically I'm not sure we'd see so often new "source" posted as add-ons, that may be killing a flyer with gun ? (The breath zone of UMmu is almost ignored)

mhhhhh.... *thinking out loud* I love to keep things open. That may not be a bad idea after all, one never know when a feature suddenly is successful and many add-ons for it come up. In this case I may separate the source image directory from skins. One unique directory for all sources like the Ummubreath base configuration.

I'll probably do it (watch the other thread about news).

Great idea that would allow up to 4752 image per SOI (And 2376 for deepspace) :thumbup:

Dan

Last edited:

boyan3001

Reaction score
@Dan
Sorry for off, but can this idea be projected to OrbiterSound module? I mean, can you expand OrbiterSound to do dynamic music feedback that will change the tune depanding on where the vessel is? So, when you reach Jupiter, the famous Monolith theme from 2001 Odyssey starts.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Great work again ! :thumbup:

I'm redoing the code right now and I'll start to make the sources with your images.

Please keep going even two images, contribute !