Hello, i am going to build a rocket can anyone help me with the specs i need?

lennartsmit

Reaction score
Fireworks can and do kill people every year in the UK. They are smaller than 6 inches. The point here is that size doesn't matter, it's where it impacts that does the damage.
Explosion of the fireworksfactory in Enschede-the Netherlands.
Killed 22 people, more then thousand injured. Multiple hundreds of homes were completely destroyed.
Think about this before you go to such a scale. Go to a desert somewhere, not in a PUBLIC park.

P.S. How old are you?

roombeek-enschede-stad-151.jpg

c_ensche_130500_5.jpg

c_ensche_130500_4.jpg

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Who in his right mind would build a factory handling large amounts of flammable and explosive substances in the middle of a town?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Who in his right mind would build a factory handling large amounts of flammable and explosive substances in the middle of a town?
Just goes to show that when choosing a place to live, it definitely pays to make sure nothing crazy is around you.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

History - the factory was once at the outskirts of the town, and then the town grew...

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Don't do anything without considering the risks. Are you good at electrical wiring, have you tested the aerodynamics in a simulator, are you good at machining, can you make a proper eject charge, do you know the relevant law, what kind of fuel will you use and can you even get enough of it????????

All of those things are going to be necessary to launch something that size. I'm sure it sounds like a lot of fun, but you could kill someone or damage property a lot quicker than you get a 5 foot metallic rocket off the ground.

To be honest, I highly doubt you could build the thing, fuel it, and launch it without seriously endangering your life and others along the way.

Quite frankly, do not attempt this.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
i think i agree. you accomplish nothing by making a very large rocket except that maybe you can make it go higher. unless you want to put some kind of payload in the air for a while, get a smaller 2 foot rocket and stand a tiny bit closer. it will look EXACTLY the same to your perspective and is much safer.

keyword here being safer, not safe.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
how would someone go about getting clearance for a launch like that?

You call the next ATCC, that is responsible for the airspace you are going to use (which is why you need to know in a very conservative way, how high your rocket is maximal going), and tell them what you want to do, on which day, with which expected trajectory.

I don't know about the exact paperwork being required, maybe some of the amateur rocket pros can tell you more.

But usually, you will get a launch window for your rocket, which you will have to use, since all aircraft around you expect your rocket to go up and be back on the ground, precisely as you told ATC.

ijuin

Reaction score
Yes, contact local Air Traffic Control, or failing that, your town's City Hall (or even the Federal Aviation Administration, if necessary, or your nation's equivalent if you live outside the USA). They will direct you to the people who can supply the necessary paperwork.

Keatah

Reaction score
When I was a kid I would launch hundreds and hundreds of model rockets. From the backyard, school & church & park district parking lots, the supermarket parking lot, street corner, driveway.. everywhere! And as you can imagine the cops would cruise by at the request of the concerened citizens.

When I flew pink rockets with smiley faces painted on 'em the cops were definitely much more forgiving. Even when I used multiple "D" and "F" motors on the first stage.

But a smaller "B" powered Bomarc or Exocet or V-2 always got me hauled back home to mommy and daddy.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
What ever you do, don't die in a way that gets you on the news. It gives the rest of us a bad name.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
What ever you do, don't die in a way that gets you on the news. It gives the rest of us a bad name.
Yeah, the legal right to buy rocketry supplies without needing a special license/degree could be lost REALLY easily these days. Testing it with stunts like this is simply a terrible idea and you'll have a LOT of people mad at you if laws change as a result of it.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A 5 feet tall, 1 foot wide aluminium rocket, built and launched by a complete beginner. What could possibly go wrong?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, the legal right to buy rocketry supplies without needing a special license/degree could be lost REALLY easily these days.

Yes. Unfortunately "turning the screw" is the preferred solution whenever something goes wrong. Take away those pesky rights! Security over freedom!

Testing it with stunts like this is simply a terrible idea and you'll have a LOT of people mad at you if laws change as a result of it.

I'd like to add that some of those people have guns. The rest have a mix of knives, clubs, sharp sticks, blunt instruments and cans of flammable material.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
i just noticed this. is it just me or does 1 foot wide seem a little big for only a 5 foot rocket? iv seen rockets 6+ feet that were only 9 inches wide