Hello, i am going to build a rocket can anyone help me with the specs i need?

jinglesassy

Reaction score
Hello, i want to build a 5 foot fall 1 foot wide rocket with the rocket motor taking up 3 feet 1 foot for the parachute recovery system and 1 foot for the camera and anything else i want to put in it is this good? and how can i make the parachute come out after all of the fuel is gone and how can i make a nose cone? and i will make it out of aluminum so i can re-use it and whats a good fuel for this rocket? thanks for your help :)

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Hello, i want to build a 5 foot fall 1 foot wide rocket with the rocket motor taking up 3 feet 1 foot for the parachute recovery system and 1 foot for the camera and anything else i want to put in it is this good? and how can i make the parachute come out after all of the fuel is gone and how can i make a nose cone? and i will make it out of aluminum so i can re-use it and whats a good fuel for this rocket? thanks for your help :)

If you don't know how to use a parachute delay charge, then FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT BUILD A 5' ROCKET. YOU WILL MAKE A MISTAKE AND DIE.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
in a park about 20 minutes from where i live(i seem to live 20 min from everywhere 20 from dc 20 from Quantico and 20 from the park) it has a field with no trees in it for about 5 square miles i would launch it in the middle of that so i can recover it

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Make sure that it'll be legal to do this. I'm not sure the feeb's would like a five foot long aluminum tube passing through some of their training facilities.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Um.....

1) Search info on building rockets, it shouldn't be hard to find. If you do it wrong it is dangerous, so first you should read alot.
1) Start with a smaller rocket (if you want to carry a camera there are mini digital video cameras)
2) Aluminum is too heavy, this makes it not fly, and if it flies it will be dangerous. It should be made of cardboard or wood parts

jinglesassy

Reaction score
the park is 20 minutes in the other direction of Quantico so no problem with it going through a building and any other metal that is light enough but strong enough? i want it to be metal so i can re-use it easier and becuse ive always wanted to build a metal rocket that can fly.

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that if you send something that size in the air around Quantico without letting people know, you're liable to get some counter-battery fire from the Marines over there.

I'm not a backyard rocketeer myself, but I'd say to make sure your licenses and permits are in order, and I would suggest you start out smaller. If you've never done this sort of thing before, you're liable to blow something off and earn yourself a Darwin Award - posthumously. I played with guns, ammunition -and- explosives when I was in the Marines, and -I- wouldn't be jumping into a project like this.

Hopefully some other, more experienced heads will pipe in and convince you before you hurt yourself.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
5 sq mi might not be enough for this monster. When I was in a local rocket club, we launched the smaller rockets in a 1.25 sq mi area at JSC. The high powered rockets (which do require licenses...) were done in some desert area I believe.

And if you haven't noticed, cardboard rockets are reusable. :p

jinglesassy

Reaction score
first of all im not jumping into this i am building smaller ones too and i will let quantico and the atc and all know about it

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
first of all im not jumping into this i am building smaller ones too and i will let quantico and the atc and all know about it
I kinda doubt they'll let you do it. :p I think you have to tell the atc if you even launch something over like a pound.

Zeehond

Reaction score

Since you obviously don't have any knowledge or experience with building rockets, I'd suggest you start with buying rocket kits from Estes or looking for a rocket club in the neighbourhood. Maybe you will then launch the rocket you described in 10 years but you probably won't, because it doesn't sound look a good design.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Since you obviously don't have any knowledge or experience with building rockets, I'd suggest you start with buying rocket kits from Estes or looking for a rocket club in the neighbourhood. Maybe you will then launch the rocket you described in 10 years but you probably won't, because it doesn't sound look a good design.
I agree completely. And things WILL go wrong if you don't check your design with something like RockSim for example.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you if it's a state or Federal regulation, but we did have to inform local airports when a team and I put up a small weather balloon, and that was just a few pounds. If you're planning on flying a 5 foot aluminum rocket, you will be way over that. I have to agree, the safety considerations here are a little... thin. I might suggest you look at a company called Public Missiles Ltd: they sell high power rocketry parts (airframes, fins, recovery devices, etc) made out of phenolic tubing (cardboard) and G10 fiberglass. This is a safer, lighter, and cheaper alternative to aluminum. Also: If you plan on flying this and you don't have a certification from either NAR or Tripoli, I suggest you begin looking into that before you decide to fly. I fly at Tripoli-sponsored launches and it works out fine. If you decide to fly on your own, you may have legal issues, issues which you can avoid by flying with experienced hobbyists. So, look into a local NAR/Tripoli chapter, get your certifications, and then go ahead and fly. Good luck!

Dambuster

Reaction score
jinglesassy, please join a rocketry club, or at least make sure you read everything there is to read on the internet and in your nearest library about this topic. Even the smaller Estes rockets are capable of burning through metal if things go wrong. The home made rocket engines are apparently a VERY easy way to wind up with no hands, or worse.

The 2-Belo

Capt. Refsmmat
Donator
Reaction score
5 foot tall and 1 foot wide? Are you trying to recreate a Titan vehicle explosion?

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Yes. I also agree with all the others. Such big rockets are highly dangerous.
And I also think that a bigger rocket is better than a smaler rocket. Because you could achieve also success with a kit and a smaler rocket.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
If you want something that goes really high and can film it, do weather ballon instead.