OHM HCLV Hyperion

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The standard question for everything autopilot related (even though I am not the programmer there):

What is the frame rate?

(Explanation: If it differs much from the values of the testers, it is possible that either the time steps are too long for stable calculations, or so short that the rocket overcompensates - it is very hard to program an autopilot that covers a high variation in the frame rates)

ThaGuy

Reaction score
Simply fantastic, Versatile, and extremely easy to use.
Definitely my new workhorse
A HUGE THANKYOU guys and great work!

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've just downloaded the latest files for this (including the required add-ons). It seems whenever I try to launch something with a fairing included, only half the fairing is there.

When it comes time to jettison the fairings, both appear and fall away from the L/V. I'm using the payload manager and Orbiter 2010-P1.

I see that there is a "Show/Hide" option when choosing the fairings, however this doesn't help and no matter what I do, I only get one half of the fairing to appear.

It's only cosmetic, I know. I'd just like to know if this has been seen before and how to fix it.

Thank you.

AmberX

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me find a way to separate the EDS from the HCLV once in LEO - if I press Ctrl-J for payload release, it releases the payload from the EDS instead.

I can't find a generic keystroke for manual staging in the Orbiter manual, and there's nothing else in the HCLV documentation except Ctrl-J for payload release, J for manual LRB sep and K for manual fairing sep.

The only way I can get it to work is by creating a HCLV, then an EDS, and attaching the EDS as a payload, then attaching the actual payload to the EDS. The disadvantage of this is that the HCLV AP gets confused, and cuts off early during the circularisation burn at apogee.

I'm sure this is not the way the EDS is meant to be used, and I must be missing something really simple - any clarifaction much appreciated.

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've been using this LV to attempt a build of a custom space station. I'm having an issue that I feel like I've seen brought up SOMEWHERE, but after searching the forums all day, I haven't been able to find.

Basically, what I've been attempting to do is use the HCLV-2-EDS, along with the EDS-2000 to put either the Destiny or Harmony module from ISSv3.2 into orbit. I've been using Kulch's Payload Manager to attach everything together.

-First, I use the scenario editor to spawn the HCLV-2-EDS, which is just the launcher, without an upper stage/fairing. I position that on the launch pad.

-Second, I use the scenario editor to spawn the EDS-2000 stage. I use Kulch's Payload Manager to attach it to the main LV.

---Question #1: The EDS has a fairing, however the usual SHIFT-SPACE combination does not bring up the option menu to change/hide the fairing. Which makes the next part tricky.

-Third, I use the scenario editor to create the Destiny or Harmony module from ISSv3.2. Again, I use the payload manager while selecting/focusing on the EDS to attach the ISS module. If I zoom in far enough to "see" inside the fairing, I can position the module correctly. NOTE: I wanted to use the EDS so that I can maneuver and perform rendezvous and docking. The 2nd stage does not seem to be suitable for this purpose.

After all that, I select the HCLV and fire up the MFD. I set parameters and launch.

---Question #2/Problem: Between 5 and 10 seconds into the launch, the ISS module "breaks up" as if it is reentering the atmosphere and falls down through the entire rocket, down to the ground. The entire stack continues flying as if nothing happened. In fact, even the Payload Mass readout in the HCLV MFD stays the same. Which could be indicative of the problem. I hadn't thought about it until I typed it out. I know that I never checked the Payload Mass value each time I added to the stack to see how it was changing.

I'm going to guess that this is an issue with the ISSv3.2 modules, and not the HCLV, but I thought maybe that either I have been attaching things incorrectly, or it is just not possible using the parts that I have chosen.

I'm not very experienced at editing .scn files manually to attach stages together so I'm not entirely sure if that would make a difference.

And on a side note, I've also tried this with the Jarvis and experienced the same "destruction". I just like using the HCLV because I can use LaunchMFD to give me an approximate launch heading, type it directly into the HCLV MFD and go. Jarvis on the other hand, has an automated launch and requires more setup as far as finding the launch window, editing the guidance file, editing the .scn to line up with the window and automated countdown, etc.

Hence, I prefer the HCLV.

Disclaimer: I BELIEVE that I'm using the ISSv3.2 parts. There's a chance they came from either Shuttle Fleetv4.8 or SFv4.8 payload addons. And seeing as how SF4v.8 has aspects that are no longer compatible with 2010p1 (which I didn't realize at the time of installation), that may also be where the issue is coming from. So it comes down to whatever add-on has "destructible" station modules happens to be the one I"m using.

I apologize if this problem has nothing to do with Hyperion HCLV and everything to do with what I'm using and how I'm using them. But any constructive pointers/recommendations/help is going to be greatly appreciated. I'm also sorry this was so long but I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've been using this LV to attempt a build of a custom space station. I'm having an issue that I feel like I've seen brought up SOMEWHERE, but after searching the forums all day, I haven't been able to find.

Basically, what I've been attempting to do is use the HCLV-2-EDS, along with the EDS-2000 to put either the Destiny or Harmony module from ISSv3.2 into orbit. I've been using Kulch's Payload Manager to attach everything together.

-First, I use the scenario editor to spawn the HCLV-2-EDS, which is just the launcher, without an upper stage/fairing. I position that on the launch pad.

-Second, I use the scenario editor to spawn the EDS-2000 stage. I use Kulch's Payload Manager to attach it to the main LV.

---Question #1: The EDS has a fairing, however the usual SHIFT-SPACE combination does not bring up the option menu to change/hide the fairing. Which makes the next part tricky.

-Third, I use the scenario editor to create the Destiny or Harmony module from ISSv3.2. Again, I use the payload manager while selecting/focusing on the EDS to attach the ISS module. If I zoom in far enough to "see" inside the fairing, I can position the module correctly. NOTE: I wanted to use the EDS so that I can maneuver and perform rendezvous and docking. The 2nd stage does not seem to be suitable for this purpose.

After all that, I select the HCLV and fire up the MFD. I set parameters and launch.

---Question #2/Problem: Between 5 and 10 seconds into the launch, the ISS module "breaks up" as if it is reentering the atmosphere and falls down through the entire rocket, down to the ground. The entire stack continues flying as if nothing happened. In fact, even the Payload Mass readout in the HCLV MFD stays the same. Which could be indicative of the problem. I hadn't thought about it until I typed it out. I know that I never checked the Payload Mass value each time I added to the stack to see how it was changing.

I'm going to guess that this is an issue with the ISSv3.2 modules, and not the HCLV, but I thought maybe that either I have been attaching things incorrectly, or it is just not possible using the parts that I have chosen.

I'm not very experienced at editing .scn files manually to attach stages together so I'm not entirely sure if that would make a difference.

And on a side note, I've also tried this with the Jarvis and experienced the same "destruction". I just like using the HCLV because I can use LaunchMFD to give me an approximate launch heading, type it directly into the HCLV MFD and go. Jarvis on the other hand, has an automated launch and requires more setup as far as finding the launch window, editing the guidance file, editing the .scn to line up with the window and automated countdown, etc.

Hence, I prefer the HCLV.

Disclaimer: I BELIEVE that I'm using the ISSv3.2 parts. There's a chance they came from either Shuttle Fleetv4.8 or SFv4.8 payload addons. And seeing as how SF4v.8 has aspects that are no longer compatible with 2010p1 (which I didn't realize at the time of installation), that may also be where the issue is coming from. So it comes down to whatever add-on has "destructible" station modules happens to be the one I"m using.

I apologize if this problem has nothing to do with Hyperion HCLV and everything to do with what I'm using and how I'm using them. But any constructive pointers/recommendations/help is going to be greatly appreciated. I'm also sorry this was so long but I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

Not sure how I missed that. I'll try to investigate it during christmas and post a solution.

what is the best way to align plane using the HCLV MFR autopilot to get the RInc to 0?

Hyperion AP isn't as precise as I'd like to be however it has estimation of final inclination. You can open plane align MFD in 2nd screen and modify heading value during flight.

Blixel made video tutorial for randez-vous where he explains it.

https://youtu.be/Fq6_44qxzcI?t=7m9s

SpecialKaye87

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Crawler

Anyone know if there's a crawler available to move this bad boy from a VAB to the launch pad? I already tried adding the Sat V and Space Shuttle crawlers but it's no good.

GodAtum

Reaction score
Website
godatum.blogspot.com
im trying to get this to work with orbiter 2016. the default scenario has the ship in a funny position. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Since I'm not the coder of this add-on (Woo482 made all the dirty work - producing shiny, working code) I cannot update it myself. It'll be probably be updated along with Themis-A add-on to use single MFD for control and with some minor improvements.

Not sure where it happens though.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Orbiter 2016 patch

A little late, but better late than never I guess :lol: - here’s a compatibility patch for the HCLV to allow it to run under O2016 without (many) issues.
This was built over a few hours in the afternoon for fun and as such hasn’t been fully tested, I’m releasing it simply so this awesome launcher can be used in O2016 while I (very slowly) get around to building a fully updated version, eventually and if there's interest in it.

Basic functionality all seems to be work but I’m sure there’s something I missed, there's no added functionality in this build over the O2010P1 version of the add-on, beyond making it compatible with O2016

Known Issues:
  • Changing vessel height using the configuration dialogue may cause the launcher to fall underground – if this happens the vessel can be set into a landed state again using the scenario editor.
  • P01 of the autopilot may pitch over too far if not launched from level ground, P02 usually corrects this but user intervention may be needed to steady the launcher if it goes too wild before that program is reached.
  • RCS sounds may play when RCS is disabled (i.e., the core is operating in TVC mode)

Dependencies:
  • This requires the standard Orbiter 2010P1 release of the Hyperion to be installed first, and then the patch installed on top.
  • Kulch's Payload Manager is required for payload management functionality.
  • OrbiterSound is no longer required, XRSound may instead be used.
While I don't intend to support this patch for new features if there's any game-breaking issues please let me know and I'll attempt to resolve the issue.

Download

Last edited:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I'll look into it, it's been that long since I released something for Orbiter I'm sure I messed a setting up somewhere :lol: Was there any specific error message when it crashed?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Can confirm, it does the same for me. In D3D9 I get a CTD, with the native graphics it locks up. Nothing in the log gives a hint to the problem.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, that should be fixed now if you re-download the patch - I don't believe I broke anything else but please let me know if it catches fire or something :lol:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
No boom today. Boom tomorrow.

There's always a boom tomorrow.

;)

But seriously. I'm at work atm. I'll check it out in the am when I get home.

---------- Post added 08-12-19 at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-11-19 at 09:49 PM ----------

Got into orbit with the stock scenario. Initial launch was really weird (pitch kick really early). Autopilot caught it and fixed, it was just strange to watch. Will mess around with it some more after I wake up.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Launch works for me as well, but with the same problem as reported by Phantom. It pitches down and flies at 30 degrees at 3KM. It then corrects itself and points up again.