Have Prototyper, will print your model and send it for free!

nuaetius

Reaction score
I own a Makerbot and a RepRap (not functional yet). I have been playing with orbiter for years now, but don't own a single space model. I really want to be able to print out some space models, but currently the website I use most of the time to get my models to print Thingiverse, doesn't have any rocket models yet. So here is what I am offering.

I really want the following rockets

Any rocket that has carried a person to space, so Soyuz, Mercury, Apollo, Shuttle, or any that are likely in the near future Taurus II, Falcon 9, Atlas 5, Delta 4 heavy. Or any of the new space rockets out there like Masten, Armadillo, Space Ship II.

If you are the 1st to upload an STL file under the GPL licence to Thingiverse of any of these rockets, I will print it out and send it to you with a big thank you card. ;)

Even if it's not on the list, if it's cool, and you want the model, just PM me and I will likely send it to you.

For us to be able to print it it must:

a. have a flat side that allows it to sit on th surface
b. has no more than a 45 degree overhangs
c. be a manifold solid
d. no parts thiner than .5mm in thickness

If you want to know what it would look like printed you can download a program called Skeinforge for free that will "slice and dice" the design for you.

I hope this is appropriate for this forum, but I really couldn't think of a better place to find the people who could design these rockets.

Hope to have my wife yelling at me for all the flat rate boxes I am sending in the near future! ;)

Just PM upload to Thinigiverse and PM Spacexula over there, or me over here and I will print it off for ya.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Why does it have to be over there? Couldn't people just upload them here or send them to you via email?

Turbinator

Reaction score
Makerbot and a RepRap have horrible, horrible printing resolution. Resembling something out of a grade 1 art class. And they can not make functioning moving parts, don't even think about gears.

MakerBot
88275_makerbot-utah-teapot.jpg

3d-print-lego.jpg

Dimension uPrint
Rapid_Prototyping_at_RCA_2.jpg

12540196952_SPLASH.jpg

(didn't have a bigger pic of that)

Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
A reprap is also massively cheaper

Mine which is in the works is sub $200

And gears and moving parts can be made

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
A few hundred dollars vs $14,900* USD. You get what you pay for.

Does anyone else find the use of the term "printing" in this context annoying? I understand how to term got started in use (from sci-fi and from the use of printer HW and drivers). But you aren't "printing" its CNC work....:blahblah:

Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Both these machines are printing.

The reprap/maker bot extrudes a plastic filament

The Dimension uPrint deposits the plastic in layers

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A few hundred dollars vs $14,900* USD. You get what you pay for.

Does anyone else find the use of the term "printing" in this context annoying? I understand how to term got started in use (from sci-fi and from the use of printer HW and drivers). But you aren't "printing" its CNC work....:blahblah:

No, it is really 3D printing. The object is printed layer by layer. It is not the same as CNC, which removes material.

I am more interested in the opposite way... I think about finding ways to turn scale models into meshes.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I believe someone has done that, I remember seeing in one of the RepRap blogs

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Curse you all! You're making me much more envious of those with 3D scanners and printers than I already was! :lol:
3D_scanning_and_printing.jpg

Example of replication of a real object by means of 3D scanning and 3D printing. The gargoyle model on the left was digitally acquired by using a 3D scanner and the produced 3D data was processed using MeshLab. The resulting digital 3D model, shown in the screen of the laptop, was used by a rapid prototyping machine to create a real resin replica of original object.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
No, it is really 3D printing. The object is printed layer by layer. It is not the same as CNC, which removes material.

Oh, ok I somehow got redirected into a automated lasercutter and lathe page.

I am more interested in the opposite way... I think about finding ways to turn scale models into meshes.

That would be tough. It wouldn't be hard to rig up a machine to take XYZ measurements of a shape, but I think you final mesh would look like the typical MS Word generated web page... It wouldn't really be a verbatim virtual copy, it'd be inefficent with vertexes, and you'd spend as much time adjusting and editing it as if you'd created it digitally yourself from scratch.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That would be tough. It wouldn't be hard to rig up a machine to take XYZ measurements of a shape, but I think you final mesh would look like the typical MS Word generated web page... It wouldn't really be a verbatim virtual copy, it'd be inefficent with vertexes, and you'd spend as much time adjusting and editing it as if you'd created it digitally yourself from scratch.

Not that hard, if you can work without high accuracy, LEGO should be enough. :lol: It is not like you need backlash compensation for a orbiter mesh.

nuaetius

Reaction score
Oh, ok I somehow got redirected into a automated lasercutter and lathe page.

We got that.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1491

3d scanner, I have one sitting on my desk, and it cost about 40 dollars worth of parts.

Resolution is enough to scan "ruff" copies into blender, I then I just clean them up.

Ohh btw Makerbot is accurate to within 2 decimeters, don't know many 3rd grade art classes that grade work with a digital caliper! ;)

And yes the reason I want the parts over at thingiverse is because who ever does it, I want them to be famous. I want their model to be made by hundreds of people, and to bring traffic to their website, and back to orbiter. And I want a rocket on my desk, to go beside my TARDIS.
image:8050

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess you could, not sure how Ammonium Perchlorate would respond to being machined though...

Aside from igniting or decomposing or being otherwise dangerous, I'd imagine that great care would have to be taken to machine it if it were very soft or very brittle.

And we're not talking about machining anyway, we're talking about 3d printing- and I don't see a reason why rocket propellant could not be printed into a 3d shape before curing.

Rapid_Prototyping_at_RCA_2.jpg

THAT is pretty cool. And quite good quality as well, IMO.

Turbinator

Reaction score

They have 3D Scanners. There are even free alternatives, however you will need to get a line laser (laser that draws a solid line), and a good quality camera (a good digital household camcorder will do). Then just download the free version of their software:
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

The quality is extremely high, picking up even minute bumps not ordinarily noticeable to human eyes.

For super duper, unbelievably high resolution, top of the line 3d Scanner go here (and check out the galery):
https://www.nextengine.com/indexSecure.htm

Last edited:

Turbinator

Reaction score
I'll see if I can get a simple easy to print Space Shuttle uploaded. Should I just get the Orbiter, or each individual part (Orbiter, External Tank, 2x Boosters) in one file?