Internet Gravity, space movie directed by Alfonso Cuaron. Trailer up!

MattBaker

Reaction score
CinemaSins video about Gravity with Neil deGrasse Tyson:

Note: Their videos are comedy, not serious.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Okay, what's going on here? An in-universe history of NASA restarting the Shuttle program? A fictional viral marketing campaign? Or both? I just don't know.

Last edited:

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npk61XnYU-4"]The Onion Reviews 'Gravity' - YouTube[/ame]

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There was a scene which reminded me of this 2008 Beijing Olympics opening ceremony track at 0:35. I'm talking of course, about the choir.

(This track played during the segment with the astronauts/taikonauts.)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One of my friends at work finally watched this movie. We discussed it at work the other day and she (being an engineer) pointed out all of the inaccuracies that make the movie hard to take; the objects being in the same orbit planes near each other, use of Hubble instead of some other made-up satellite, the silliness of the Kessler Effect taking out all satellites in a matter of minutes, including LEO and GEO regimes, and on and on. Even the nonsense with Clooney dancing around the HST firing his jets and running at the mouth for no apparent purpose and with disregard for the safety of the equipment.

She was a lot harsher on the movie than I was, but she still liked it for the hardware realism, the visuals, the pacing, and the well-done acting of Bullock.

But she had a point: why go to all that trouble and spend so much money to get so much right and then just not care about getting the rest of it right?

That's what always bugs me about these kind of movies, too. In the end, they all rely on the ignorance of the audience, disappointing those of us who know better.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Because it wouldn't be as exciting, or the plot couldn't move forward.

And I agree with her in that despite the inaccuracies, I "still liked it for the hardware realism, the visuals, the pacing, and the well-done acting of Bullock."

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Because it wouldn't be as exciting, or the plot couldn't move forward.

That's just an excuse. And I've argued about this with people until I'm blue in the face. If they really liked the movie, they usually take it personally when I point out the flaws in it, and then try to shut me up with, "Well, it's just a fictional movie, so it's okay to completely blow off science and reason and logic and I'm proud to have blown 15 bucks on this wonderful art work and why you can't you just like it too to validate my poor taste in films..." :huh:

Anyway, I'm not bashing the movie, like I said, I liked it. So my taste in films is at least this bad.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
There are movies where the plot is well done without underestimate the intelligence of the public, like 2001. I totally agree with Andy's friend criticism.

Odahs

Reaction score
The only movie that disappointed me personally more than Gravity was Prometheus (how did Ridley Scott manage to forget the plot of his own epic Alien movie when making the prequel!???!!).

I've heard though Gravity in 3D was a worthwhile experience, so maybe I didn't get the full experience. I found the plot way too linear and lacking to say Gravity was a good or enjoyable film.

If I considered watching Gravity again, I wouldn't, I would load up Apollo 13. OK I know the bad feeling between the astronauts is pure Hollywood, but it's a much better movie than Gravity in terms of suspense in my humble opinion. I felt I was there, I felt the fear and anguish in Apollo 13, sadly I felt none of that in Gravity.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are movies where the plot is well done without underestimate the intelligence of the public, like 2001. I totally agree with Andy's friend criticism.

But 2001 was made 45 years ago by a genius of cinematography.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
But 2001 was made 45 years ago by a genius of cinematography.

I'm not trying to compare Cuaron with Kubrick, but looks like you're saying that is not possible to make good films anymore. Not good sci-fi films, at least.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Marooned was made 40+ years ago with a smaller budget and without using a legendary director, and it was almost completely believable, science-wise. It was good enough to scare NASA into making sure there was a backup Apollo-Saturn 1B ready during the Skylab missions.

And to put an exclamation point on that, the premise was very similar to Gravity: astronauts stranded in orbit.

Now if only they would've had access to the special effects of Gravity back in 1969...

Marooned.jpg

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I agree here completely - it would have been completely possible to make this plot great while sticking closely to reality. So much potential lost. There was some fine cinematography here, as well as fantastic audio and visual direction, which was shamed by the paper-thin plot and lack of sense in the writing.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I thought it was a terrible movie, very boring.