Internet Gravity, space movie directed by Alfonso Cuaron. Trailer up!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I liked the explanation that it was because the ISS is in LVLH attitude. Ever try to do a spacewalk in LVLH attitude on Orbiter? Same basic idea, your orbitnaut usually drifts away from the vehicle you're spacewalking from pretty quickly.

That's why you need the EVAtether.dll :thumbup:

Qapla

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that if we wait maybe 50 years, Orbiter(or whatever comes after) will have graphics that rivals the gravity movie.:thumbup:

I will be dead in 50 years :goodnight:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Gravity could have been a very different film...

(bolded for emphasis)
Cuarón told i09 that Warner Bros. said, “’you need to cut to Houston, and see how the rescue mission goes. And there is a ticking clock with the rescue mission. You have to do flashbacks with the backstory.’ But we were very clear that this was the film that we wanted to make.”

He continues, saying, “[They wanted] the whole thing of the flashbacks. A whole thing with… a romantic relationship with the Mission Control Commander, who is in love with her. All of that kind of stuff. What else? To finish with a whole rescue helicopter, that would come and rescue her. Stuff like that.”

Warner Bros. reportedly asked him things like, “Are you sure you don’t need to pump up the action value, like having an enemy, like a missile strike?”

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Really Hollywood...really?

You're surprised? In the era of awful Michael Bay films, endless sequels and remakes, and a complete lack of risk-taking to support original ideas? Really?

Of course, if you are actually interested in a stranded-in-orbit film with a rescue mission, I recommend Marooned from back in 1970 or 1971-ish. Actually a pretty good film based on realistic Apollo-era hardware.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The film is coming out on home release in two or three days. Almost time for frmae-by-frame ISS explosions.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
For the first time ever I have something to care about on the Oscars. Come on Gravity! :hailprobe: (well that's about the only film I watched to get to the nominations....)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oscars? I hear people on the radio calling this a "science fiction" movie, so it's all meaningless to me.

This is not a science fiction movie. It's set in the current day, and features, as far as I can tell, no fictional technology. That's not science fiction. That's just a drama.

People think that just because a story happens in space it must be "sci fi", even though we've been flying people in space now for over 5 decades.

Heck, even the "science" in this movie isn't that great. Satellite debris does not suddenly take out everything in near-earth space, Clooney didn't have to die, and the Chinese space station was decaying for no reason. And why were all the objects in the same orbital plane and so close to each other?

Here's why: the same reason cars in Lethal Weapon can do crazy stunts. Because it's just an action/drama movie that happens to take place in space instead of Los Angeles.
:rant: [/rant]

But it's at least a really good drama that "feels" realistic and the makers did their homework on hardware.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I also just saw this one tonight for the first time. I can only echo what everyone has said so far. :)

One thing that oddly stuck with me, and I almost wrote a whole book on the subject in this post. Thinking better of it, I'll condense it here: "Stone has one hell of a stomach, doesn't she?"

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
This is not a science fiction movie. It's set in the current day, and features, as far as I can tell, no fictional technology. That's not science fiction. That's just a drama.

{...}

Heck, even the "science" in this movie isn't that great. Satellite debris does not suddenly take out everything in near-earth space, Clooney didn't have to die, and the Chinese space station was decaying for no reason. And why were all the objects in the same orbital plane and so close to each other?
That could be the explanation. No fictional technology, etc, but there's fictional science instead. :p

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
7 Oscars won by the crew:
- Best Director
- Best OST
- Best VFX
- Best Sound Mixing
- Best Montage
- Best Movie
- Best Photo

Honestly, I thought that Bullock will win an Oscar for the best solo performance, but didn't expect that many prizes !

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
the Chinese space station was decaying for no reason.
I've read one explanation (headcanon): that its crew had put it on a decaying orbit on purpose before they abandoned it, because they didn't want it to contribute to the worsening Kessler syndrome.

But that doesn't explain the fact that there shouldn't even be any remaining "escape vehicles" docked to the stations after they were abandoned.

(Don't take this as "I didn't enjoy the movie." I did enjoy the movie, with suspension of disbelief.)

Last edited: