Internet Gravity, space movie directed by Alfonso Cuaron. Trailer up!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I didn't even care for the physics errors, I expected no less, I was just pumped up to see the incredible attention to detail on every aspect of the ISS and HST. They even got the APFR's in the right position. I even noticed a few modules that ended up being cancelled + MLM.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That could be the explanation. No fictional technology, etc, but there's fictional science instead. :p

Every silly car chase you've seen in buddy-cop movies and the Dukes of Hazzard has fictional science as well. But nobody ever accused Lethal Weapon of being a sci fi movie.

I've read one explanation (headcanon): that its crew had put it on a decaying orbit on purpose before they abandoned it, because they didn't want it to contribute to the worsening Kessler syndrome.

If that were the case then Bullock's character would likely never have been able to rendezvous with it. Which takes us back to the "why are they all in the same orbit plane and within a few miles of each other" argument.

I learned this lesson: don't try to retcon everything that is wrong with a good movie. Just try not to think too much about it and enjoy the show. If the problems in the movie are too big to ignore (I'm talking to you Micheal Bay), or if the movie sucks for reasons besides just the bad science (I'm talking to you, Armageddon), then it's hopeless from the get go. But if overall the movie is fun to watch, like Gravity, then enjoy and let it go.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'm a Star Wars and Star Trek fan, I get by on retcons.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
They should have launched a rescue Dragon.

MattBaker

Reaction score
They should have launched a rescue Dragon.

How exactly do you launch a rescue mission within less than a couple of hours?

The Space Shuttle rescue missions were set to launch ~35 days after the other orbiter is declared incapable of reentering/landing safely.
Unless you're already in full launch preparations nothing is going up in the two orbits or so the movie takes. And even then: Launching into Kessler syndrome? Sounds...fun.

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No more Spoilers... bought the DVD but have not yet had time for my son and to sit down and watch it. No More Spoilers ( please )

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No more Spoilers... bought the DVD but have not yet had time for my son and to sit down and watch it. No More Spoilers ( please )

The movie has been out for quite some time, now, it's too late to ask for that.

Um...stop reading this thread, maybe?

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There was me thinking the whole reason this forum existed was for my benefit ....

(really really joking)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Nassault KSP film inspired by Gravity.

Unstung

Reaction score
I've been trying to see why Gravity is so highly acclaimed, but I can't. I've noticed many people in the forum consider Gravity to be one of the space films ever. It's just a tense survival movie that focuses on self-preservation for its entire relatively short duration. The models are accurate, but not always in how they are used. Of course the special effects are superb, probably groundbreaking, but that is all. The movie has hardly any plot, which may be considered decent at best, to justify the massive focus on visuals. If more feature films with massive production values continue to follow the trend of focusing solely on special effects or other superficial qualities that can be advertised, that may be worrying. Not every blockbuster movie should be catered towards a an audience with a short attention span. Superhero movies are an archetypal example of this with many sequels and lengthy action sequences. Gravity has one clear advantage over them, an insignificant original story. But at least it's tolerable.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Honest trailers as usual great.

AstroBeatle

Nowhere Man
Reaction score
Well, honestly disappointed at the factual errors. In the movie, Kowalski (Clooney) is depicted using and MMU, yet we've only used those in the 80s. And also about the Russian suit Stone (Bullock) used, not sure if Orlan or pressure suit. Either way, both are incorrect. A Pressure suit can't be used for EVA, and if it is a Russian pressure suit, the Helmet and the suit should be in one piece, attached together. And if it is Orlan, where's the life support pack on her back?