Gravitational waves claimed to be detected by aLigo

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I'd swear up and down that I'd seen something about GW190521 months ago (intermediate mass merger, light from a black hole merger, etc.), and the date stamp in the event number is well over a year ago, but I'm seeing such a flood of news articles on it that I'm wondering if I'm misremembering. Is there some reason that it's suddenly exploded in the news?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'd swear up and down that I'd seen something about GW190521 months ago (intermediate mass merger, light from a black hole merger, etc.), and the date stamp in the event number is well over a year ago, but I'm seeing such a flood of news articles on it that I'm wondering if I'm misremembering. Is there some reason that it's suddenly exploded in the news?

Possibly because of science - while the event might have been reported earlier as possibility, the research articles about it are now getting published from peer review, as usual with a fair bit of synchronisation between the various teams to ensure that everyone gets their share of the spotlight and not just the first one.