Question Google translation and the German langauge.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What dgatsoulis mean is that if some one do not understand something, it is Greek to him.
And dgatsoulis is from Greece.:lol:

Yes, but that is easily lost in translation. In German, it would for example be:

"Das sind böhmische Dörfer für mich" / "That's like bohemian villages to me".

In Bohemia, they say "These are spanish villages to me"... and accordingly to the black hole gravity of the German language, we say as well: "Das kommt mir spanisch vor." / "This appears spanish to me" (but with a slightly different meaning, here it means: I suspect something is wrong with it). In Spain, they say: esto me suena a chino... and that is also said in France: "C'est du chinois."

The Chinese for example say 聽起來像火星話。and mean "This sounds martian to me." (For Firefly fans: "Tīng qílái xiàng houxinghua" ;) * )

Once around the world solar system with just one phrase. I would have to ask JPL, what Curiosity answers if it does not understand a transmission.

And Greece, BTW, they say: Αυτά μου φαίνονται κινέζικα... ;)

* I hope it is approximately right, can eat chinese, but I can't speak it.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here it's rather "C'est du chinois pour moi" or "C'est de l'hébreu pour moi" (It's all chinese/hebrew to me).

Which is rather logical, as those tongues are perfectly unreadable if you know only the latin alphabet.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
and here we say "it's all Japanese to me", it's utterly useless to say "it sounds like the language my parents speak to each other with, oh right, I also learnt that language a bit" :lol: but after the advent of the Anime wave here, and the Korean, we're currently running out of languages to portray as the "illegible" perhaps I can make a trend of saying "it's all Bushmen to me"