Question Google translation and the German langauge.

Screamer7

Reaction score
Why is Google translate struggle so much with the German to English translation?
I can understand the translation, but many sentences does not make sense.
With other languages like French, the translation is near perfect.
I noticed that when translating the "TINTIN SUR LA LUNE" add-on.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Weil Deutsch ist nicht leicht. :lol:

aus, bei, mit, nach, zeit, von, zu...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why is Google translate struggle so much with the German to English translation?

It's not just german. Try english to any slavic tongue for good measure :lol:

The reason english->french works better is that english and french happen to be much more similar than english and german. The more two languages are appart gramaticaly, the more trouble google translate will have.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
English and German are both from a germanic root though, while French is more from a latin root with Italian, Spanish...

Screamer7

Reaction score
I noticed when translate German to Afrikaans, my mother language, it makes more sense.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Nicolas, how did you learn English.
You are a French citizen, right?
Or are there many people that speak English in France as there second language.
I am just curious.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah some translation is almost 1:1 word for word, while other translations might seem easy to even a beginner human interpreter, but these same interpretations may be very difficult for a machine depending on the syntax. The difference is that in our mind we can say "oh I get what they mean" and we'll start to understand in that language directly and translation is not needed

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

@Screamer7

The number of bi- and tri-lingual people in Europe made me feel ashamed :lol:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I can understand the translation, but many sentences does not make sense.
With other languages like French, the translation is near perfect.
I noticed that when translating the "TINTIN SUR LA LUNE" add-on.

It may just be what you're translating.

I took a look at Google's English translations of the German and French front pages for Wikipedia, and they seemed to be about equal.

It's not just german. Try english to any slavic tongue for good measure :lol:

The reason english->french works better is that english and french happen to be much more similar than english and german. The more two languages are appart gramaticaly, the more trouble google translate will have.

Except that as far as grammatical similarity, English and German are more similar than English and French. English has hauled in a lot of French loanwords, but the core language is closer to Frisian or Dutch than anything.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

The number of bi- and tri-lingual people in Europe made me feel ashamed :lol:

"Un homme qui parle trois langues est trilingue. Un homme qui parle deux langues est bilingue. Un homme qui ne parle qu'une langue est un American."

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The other issue is that Google Translate is crowd-sourced. Or, a good majority of it is.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
You may want to look at an essay by Mark Twain (yes, the author of Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn) titled
The Awful German Language :)

The essay is a humorous exploration of the frustrations a native English speaker has with learning German as a second language.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
English and German are both from a germanic root though, while French is more from a latin root with Italian, Spanish...

But not by the grammar. They share words, but High German is shares words and grammar with literally any language that was unlucky enough to enter our gravity well. (Low German instead, what is the native dialect here at the coast, uses a grammar that is almost like English)

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nicolas, how did you learn English.
You are a French citizen, right?
Or are there many people that speak English in France as there second language.
I am just curious.

I began with english with my first videogames, that were almost never translated by then. I used to hassle my father with that. With time, I understood more words. Then I learned it at school. Then came Internet and the discussion forum that really boosted my written abilities. Now, beware, I can write and understand spoken english in most situations, but the way I speak, like most french people, is terrible.

I learned german at school (it was my #1 language, english was only my #2, because an old habit said that best pupils were supposed to do that way), I can understand written german rather well, as long as there are not too much technical words. I never really got the grammar, though, so my writing is poor. I can understand spoken german, but I'm not able to speak it beyond very basic sentences.

Recently I tried myself at russian, at the University, it was pretty tough ! That language has an incredible number of rules and exceptions to learn. I'll try to continue next year, if I get enough time. The public education system definitively helps there.

Also, I learned latin a bit at school, but in a very similar way to german, I had problems with the grammar. Though latin is even more unforgiving for that.

I'm certainly not bilingual or even less trilingual. A true multi-lingual person can express his/her thoughts regardless of the tongue. I knew a girl that was like that with german and french. BTW she was born in Berlin, and had a Turkish-German father and a French mother. Multi-lingual persons have almost always parents of different nationalities, or lived as kids in a foreign country, in my personal experience.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Not so much I'm afraid. But hopefully it's getting better with the young generations.

I think it is. My youngest sister speaks english much better than anyone in the family. She had the luck to have serious english lessons given by students of english/US/australian etc... nationalities at primary school, and this definitively had an impact. Also, she is from the "Internet generation", so I think she always had to deal with english. I'm 30, and when I was a young kid, you still could live without knowing a word of english. Things were very different, and Internet was a true revolution there.

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some one who speaks 3 languages .... Tri-lingual

Some one who speaks 2 languages ... Bi- lingual

Some one who speaks one language British

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Some one who speaks one language British

You got our number ay Paddy. :)

I tried to learn Spanish years ago, but I have trouble with my own language and thought to better that instead. Languages is simply not my cup of tea. I have to compliment those who have mastered more than one language though, I cannot imagine how they do it. :tiphat:

Screamer7

Reaction score
I can also speak one of our ingenuous languages called Zulu.
But it is a very strange language to master, and sound harsh to the ear, even when speak polity.
I also noted that the Dutch language have a strong German accent.
But I can read and understand Dutch very well.
Even a Dutch person can understand me.
That is when I speak Afrikaans.

Last edited:

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
I noticed when translate German to Afrikaans, my mother language, it makes more sense.

For the German to English translation problem, perhaps it has something to do with the arrangement of words, frequently putting verbs at the end of sentences for example.

Afrikaans is very similar to Dutch, which is closely related to German.

Bob Clark

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For the German to English translation problem, perhaps it has something to do with the arrangement of words, frequently putting verbs at the end of sentences for example.

That is just the beginning. The composite words are also annoying for google.

I am pretty sure, word artists like Dieter Hildebrandt* would be a nightmare for any translator, human or electronic. The German language legally allows some stuff and forces you to do some worse stuff, that would be punished with a very miserable death in most other languages.

* He managed to say one complete sentence in a bit more than 3 minutes.