Question good orbiter c++ tutorial

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
is there a good sample of c++ for a orbiter vessle that has lots of comments or jsut a plain tutorial for making a simple c++ vessle if so can anyone recomend one?>

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I'd recommend you lean just C++ first, after that the API reference and guide are probably the best you'll get for Orbiter

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd recommend you lean just C++ first, after that the API reference and guide are probably the best you'll get for Orbiter
ok thanks il take a look at that i am just bored at home and want to do somthign usefull

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If you just want samples, try the "samples" directory in the Orbitersdk folder.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
And stop making a new thread for every little issue you have :dry:.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I decided to start with C++ recently. I've not yet got round to making an Orbiter addon, but I've made some calculator utilities for use in Orbiter. Although I'm only a 'code monkey' at the moment, I find it hugely fun to make programs. For Orbiter, I'd just recommend looking at samples and changing things to see what happens. Also, computerex has a good tutorial on how to start:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i say go for the samples!

they're not all thorougly commented, but some are... and it gives off a good idea of how it should be done...

also, in the SDK "doc" folder, read the API guide - it really explains very well how c++ happens around Orbiter, giving you a nice staring ground

for a good c++ learning resource, trycplusplus.com/ - it has a wealth of good tutorials and stuff...

i also recommend you read a bit on C language... C++ will make more sense if you learn a bit of C first... it helps in understanding why some things are they way they are :thumbup:

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Go for the samples. First make sure you know how to compile things. The secret to learning orbiter stuff is to just do it. A lot of people will recommend C++ books to you. That is all fine, but C++ is not a language you can learn in a day. So if you want to go through that route, you'll be writing useless, and boring stuff for a long time. Whereas you can use Orbiter as a learning tool for C++. Just make sure you are persistent, try to figure things out for yourself. Google stuff, etc. Modify the samples, and make something useful.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i started making addons for orbiter as a means to get some hands-on practice with c++, since the exercise stuff from the course i was taking were mostly generic "blah" console apps...

it all gains a lot more meaning once you have a clear practical use for it...

remember, genuine interest is the best teacher :cheers:

krashkart

Heliosynchronous Debris Field
Reaction score
You have shown that you are willing to tackle the impossible. Now you just need to cover the basics. A week's worth of practice with C++ just isn't enough to nail down OrbiterAPI. ;)

Along with the suggestions from the other members here, you might also have a look at some of the material at Gamedev.net and similar websites. Try talking your parents into helping you buy a used copy of 'Learn C++ in 21 Days', that way you'll have the information available when you need it.