News George Lucas leaves because of SW Fans.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Mostly in reference to Star Wars, but it probably ends any chance of Indiana Jones 5 in my opinion too, but an article quotes him that he was so disheartened and upset by all the backlash he got for the prequel Star Wars films and the changes made to the Original films, most recently the Blu-Ray changes, that he's done with making blockbuster films. This article focuses on Star Wars, but read around the internet news about him its about all movies in general.
George Lucas ends SW

"I think there are more important things in the world," a wounded Lucas said in a profile promoting his longtime passion project Red Tails, chronicling the Tuskegee Airmen. "Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, okay then. Can't say I've really enjoyed any movie by him since childhood anyway. :shrug:

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Don't understand his reasoning, Because of "Star Wars Haters" he says he will make no more movies so basically giving them the win or even agreeing with them?

Well, thank god no more Star Wars movies, but if I was him I'd make another one just to piss the fans off now :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I will miss him.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
that he's done with making blockbuster films.

If that means that we will get back to THX-ish concept-SF instead, I would welcome that...

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
George Lucas is a winner :) Nobody can deny that. Those who watch the end-credits on productions will know his name is all over the place :) His influence is major.

I'm not sure if it was Britney Spears who said it, or somebody else, but I think it was she who said that there are generally 2 types of people around: those who entertain (creators, makers, do'ers), and those who watch (consumers). Without Lucas the film-industry, and many productions, wouldn't be what they are (and then you can obviously always contemplate if things would have been better or worse, but his impact on things is indisputable) :)

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
They say that the difference between average artists and great artists is that great artists know when to put down their brush and call the work done.

Lucas created a great thing with Star Wars in the 70s and 80s, but going back to prequels and retouching the older movies really was a rookie error done by someone who should have known better. I think he had veteran's regret - he got several more films under his belt after Star Wars came out, saw the new graphics technology ILM had developed in the intervening years, and he couldn't resist the urge to retouch. He should have just left it be.

Imagine the paint spray can was invented right after DaVinci painted the Mona Lisa. Picture DaVinci holding a can in his hands and looking at the canvas and saying to himself "Hmmm....". Not saying SW is a DaVinci, but pretty cool for the day.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Or is it all another case of the Nostalgia Filter that makes people hate the prequels and any changes to the originals?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
there are generally 2 types of people around: those who entertain (creators, makers, do'ers),

Yeah, well, Lucas quit entertaining me in 1983, after I saw Return of the Jedi. Everything since then is crap, unless you think Jar Jar Binks was "entertaining".

I agree with the poster who said Lucas ought to do more films like THX-1138. That is a little gem of a film, and now that he makes more money than God from Star Wars licensing he can afford to make independent and experimental films like that without risking his family's next meal.

He just sounds like he's whining in this article.

Pablo49

Reaction score
For anyone waiting to jump in to defend the prequels.

But really, tschüs! Prequels need to vanish, he needs to leave the movies alone. I get they are his work, and I understand wanting something you made to be perfect, but still. Leave it alone. You're ruining my favorite movies.

And as always, Han shot first.

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Man there's some hating going on in here. :dry:

I liked his changes to the original films and all of the SW films for that matter. I will miss him...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I wonder if he got addicted to hearing people praise him. Calling quits like that would certainly induce lots of praise.

Anyway, having found out about Star Wars by accidentally seeing episode I, i don't think prequels are that bad. That was a modern movie shown in a theatre, while the original series were some weird movies with half-drunk single-voice translation dubbed over the english sound track, what should i have felt?

I've never even heard about Solo firing first in the 77 edition until stumbling on some discussion about it on the internet, and finding out that there were two editions of each film.

Even with all that i don't like how Lucas butchered the movies in 2004.

Everything since then is crap, unless you think Jar Jar Binks was "entertaining".
Well, you can make it entertaining:
http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or is it all another case of the Nostalgia Filter that makes people hate the prequels and any changes to the originals?

It's not so much about nostalgia as it is about cultural relevance. The original Star Wars changed movies forever. They invented the BlockBuster concept, there was nothing like that before Star Wars. They were an important, even essential part of the way we look at movies today, influental beyond measure. Enjoying the original movies is not just being nostalgic (it can be, but certainly not for me, being born in 1980 and not getting to watch them until I was 12). It's also about understanding films and how important Star Wars has been for them.

Many people ask themselfes what happened to Lucas to switch from something like THX to star wars. The answer is, nothing: Star Wars was artistically ambitious at the highest level in its cultural context, the focus just shifted to visuals instead of concept and story. The question is, what happened to Lucas after Star Wars.

The Prequels were cash-ins that didn't really create anything new. They were fun kids movies, but that's that. They hold no relevance whatsoever.

That's the point from which I scrutinize the films, anyways.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think it's quite ridiculous how heated arguments on this subject get...

They're films, not nations or world leaders...

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
@Andy44; I never really took on to the Jar Jar Binks character. Too silly and CGI for my taste. I do like the prequels though, and I'm sorry we'll never get the 3 last parts in his 9 part marvel :) I would have loved to see it complete.

I think it's quite ridiculous how heated arguments on this subject get...

They're films, not nations or world leaders...

I think his movies influence more people than many world-leaders do.
"I have a bad feeling about this"... ask any geek who said that, and they can most likely answer :)

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
"I have a bad feeling about this"

I can't decide between two posts. I could either say;

IIRC the correct transcript is "I've got a bad feeling about this"

or

It was Kirk, right?

:p

Last edited:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera