Humor What do you know about the past your kids don't?

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
• If you wanted to see a movie, you went to a theater. If it left the theater, tough ****. Star Wars came out in 1977. It first aired on pay-per-view (if you had that, nobody I knew did) was in 1982, five years later. It also came out on VHS that same year, if you were lucky enough to have a VHS deck. It wasn't on broadcast TV until 1984, seven years later. But for 5 years after I first saw it, I couldn't see Star Wars again.
• As for VHS decks, they were top-loading, had analog knob tuners, and might cost $700 in 1980. Adjusted for inflation, that's $1,858 today.
• I didn't see MTV until 1987, when the town I was in finally got cable.
• If you went to a bar or a club, you would be a walking ashtray, and all your clothes would need washing. I couldn't go to sleep without showering and washing the smoke and ash out of my hair, or else I'd wake up with a wicked sore throat.
• People lined up at banks on Fridays, to deposit their paychecks and withdraw cash for the weekend. If you ran out of cash over the weekend, too bad.
• When credit cards became available, it was usually only men with very solid credit who could get them. Often single women, even successful businesswomen, couldn't get one. If they were married, they might get them through their husband, with their husband's name was on the card. There were exceptions of course, but I remember reading a Newsweek article around 1980 about how this was starting to change. By the time I got to college, they were giving away credit cards to anyone with a pulse.
• No cell phone, pagers, texting, voicemail, or answering machines. If you wanted to meet up with someone, you had to call them until they were home and picked up, and then make plans. If you ended up at a party, that was usually it. No "hey I'm over at this address, swing by" or anything like that.
• No Facebook or email. Long distance calling was expensive. When I left for college, I wouldn't hear from friends for months, unless one of us bothered to write a letter and mail it. You would just lose track of people.
• Sundays were the days to call family and friends, because rates were cheaper.
• If you went to study abroad, or if you joined the Peace Corps, you were really isolated from friends and family, pre-Internet. You might send or receive letters on very thin airmail paper, but imagine 2 years not speaking to, or seeing your friends and family, except for an occasional snapshot.
• If you ran out of film, no more pictures. You would be very selective about what to take a picture of.
• There is no film or video of me (or most of my friends) throughout our childhoods. Super-8 had died off, and VHS wasn't yet available. I have no idea what I acted or sounded like, or how poorly I played soccer.
• You had to book all travel through a travel agent (or call the airline, but go to the airport to get the ticket).
• You could buy a plane ticket with cash and just walk onto the plane.
• I know people who, as adults, were not allowed to board an airplane because they were not well-dressed. People often wore suits on planes. (One friend was flying across the country to buy a car and drive it back, and was dressed in sweatpants. He had to go home and change, and take a later flight.)
• If you wanted to know something, there was no Google or Wikipedia. You might be able to find out a basic fact if you had a set of encyclopedias. But most information, from important stuff to basic trivia ("who was in that movie?") was not available unless you had a reference book or went to the library and really searched.
• If you needed a newspaper article, you went to the library, searched through card catalogs, then took microfiche and scrolled through hundreds and hundreds of pages, and maybe found what you were looking for. Then you copied it down by hand or, if you were lucky, paid 5¢ per page for a copy.
• Most towns had at least two newspapers, and at least one of them was probably pretty good. They were delivered by kids like me on bicycles.
• Milk was delivered to your door.
• We played outside (there was nothing to do inside anyway).
• Our favorite "toys" were sticks and dirt clods.
• We never wore sunscreen. Or bicycle helmets.
• Cars broke down all the time.
Edit: Toys were much cheaper. Kids got bikes and board games. Not smart phones, iPods, HDTVs for their bedrooms, computers, digital cameras, GPS, video game consoles, video games, and (it seems) brand new cars. My first car was a Dodge from the 60s I paid $100 for.

There are more, including things not fitting to quote on this forum, at the source, and also comments. :)

I can subscribe to 50% of the above... Another 50% would relate to living on the other side of the Iron Curtain.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Makes me think of a Dennis Leary quote:

"When they're bad, we don't send the kids to their rooms anymore. There's too much to do there. We go to their room and make them stay downstairs where the books are.":lol:

:hailprobe:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We played outside.
Nineteen here and I built a snowman today. Shut off the computers everyone, there's SNOW outside!! :)
Kids got bikes and board games. Not smart phones, iPods, HDTVs for their bedrooms, computers, digital cameras, GPS, video game consoles, video games, and (it seems) brand new cars.
Holy crap! Who wrote the article? A prince? :rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Holy crap! Who wrote the article? A prince? :rofl:

I would say, an inhabitant of a western country, with a modest job. That stuff isn't that expensive anymore, you can really find such stuff in the rooms of children - varying on age.

A good PC without internet would IMHO be a mandatory object for any student...

OrbiterSpore

Clean Furry, of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
SiberianTiger said:
Kids got bikes and board games. Not smart phones, iPods, HDTVs for their bedrooms, computers, digital cameras, GPS, video game consoles, video games, and (it seems) brand new cars.
:wwrd?::wwrd?::wwrd?::wwrd?:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That stuff isn't that expensive anymore, you can really find such stuff in the rooms of children - varying on age.
Not around here you can't. :lol:
Cell phones and computers, sure, but for the most part the kids who have those also work to pay for them.

Well, there are the people who have all the latest gadgets, but they also can't afford their credit card payments every month and are headed for financial suicide...

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The bloke forgot about typewriters. Either one did it oneself or was forced (in a large organisation) to scribble down the draft, go to the typing pool, flirt with the typists, get back with the typed version, proofread it, take a (cardiac|painkiller) pill, go back, flirt or rage once more, repeat ad nauseam just to have the boss insert a line after the second paragraph...

DanM

&#1055;&#1086;&#1077;&#1093;&#1072;&#1083;&#1080;!
Reaction score
• We never wore sunscreen. Or bicycle helmets.
Most kids never wear sunscreen, because they forget. Most kids never seem to wear bike helmets nowadays, however I do.

Ark

Reaction score
The past sounds pretty, well, crappy.

Everything that ever was, is available forever, right at my fingertips with a machine that almost anyone in the industrialized world can afford. Show me any period in history where the average person had that kind of power and access to knowledge.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Everything. My child is three. He'd walk into traffic if I let him.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I had all that in my room a long time ago, except a car. I still don't have a car in my room. One day...
carroom.png

Pinguinboy

50.000 years old lifeform
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Edit: Kids got bikes and board games. Not smart phones, iPods, HDTVs for their bedrooms, computers, digital cameras, GPS, video game consoles, video games, and (it seems) brand new cars.
You forgot the Hi-Fi-installation with Subwoofer! :lol:

My first car was a Dodge from the 60s I paid $100 for.
Can you tell me wich car dealer? It would save me some money with that cheap prices. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I did wear sunscreen back then ... especially if you are scaling mountains, not wearing sunscreen is both a slow suicide and the entrance into a world of pain. Not wearing enough sunscreen there is just the entrance into a world of pain.

Oh we have become so much better than our following generations. Sadly, all previous generations liked to say the same. Maybe you need to open both eyes on history. Not just the one that looks back, but also the one that remembers how you looked forward.

The same students in Germany, that the older people of 1968 wanted to throw into jail or sentence to death, out of the same intolerance that is cultivated by such statements, rule the country 30 years later... not just politically, but also as managers, professors and supreme court judges.

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
I'm going to love explain ms dos to my kid "When I was growin up we had to type a command into the computer just to play a game"

If you type C:/> nowadays your kids wil say "what emote is that":facepalm:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I'm going to love explain ms dos to my kid "When I was growin up we had to type a command into the computer just to play a game"

If you type C:/> nowadays your kids wil say "what emote is that":facepalm:

You can still do that and show them the command prompt ("the C:\> emote") - run: "cmd", then Alt-Enter for full screen and use DOS commands to get to either root directory on C: drive, or a directory where some game is, and then run it by using command. :p

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Remember when you would go to load a program on a computer, and the computer would tell you "Press Play On Tape". You then pressed the play button on the TAPE RECORDER that was plugged into the computer and then waited for 15-20 minutes for your program to load into the computer's memory... ALL BEFORE YOU ACTUALLY RAN the thing.

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

I remember a time when late at night (maybe around 12:30 or 1:00) that pretty much every channel would play the national anthem accompanied by patriotic images and then cut to a test pattern until around 6:00 or 6:30 AM when programming would resume. No infomercials all hours of the night in the 70's.
Kids today will never know the glory of "The Test Pattern".

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Was it the Native American head?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Remember when you would go to load a program on a computer, and the computer would tell you "Press Play On Tape". You then pressed the play button on the TAPE RECORDER that was plugged into the computer and then waited for 15-20 minutes for your program to load into the computer's memory... ALL BEFORE YOU ACTUALLY RAN the thing.

Ah, the old times... Nothing like planning your "Snowball" playing session hours in advance because it took 45 minutes to load it. :)

**** CBM BASIC V2 ****
3583 BYTES FREE
READY.
_

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Was it the Native American head?

No. We didn't get that here. Stations here put up one of two things when they stopped broadcasting for the day. Some of the bigger networks had "color bars" and the smaller networks just went straight to static (like the TV in Poltergeist).