Fuel Volume Efficiency

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
So I had a little argument with someone about what sort of propellant would be most efficient, volume-wise, in order to get the same spacecraft to LEO.
I voted for RP-1, while he voted for LOX/LH2.
I can see his point, LH2 has a much higher Isp, but then again, RP-1 is much, much denser...
I don't claim to know that much about propellants (in fact, I know nothing about them :lol:), but that's just what my logic tells me.
Regards, Oz. :tiphat:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So I had a little argument with someone about what sort of propellant would be most efficient, volume-wise, in order to get the same spacecraft to LEO.
I voted for RP-1, while he voted for LOX/LH2.
I can see his point, LH2 has a much higher Isp, but then again, RP-1 is much, much denser...
I don't claim to know that much about propellants (in fact, I know nothing about them :lol:), but that's just what my logic tells me.
Regards, Oz. :tiphat:

Kerosene + LOX has the higher energy density per volume. You have about 30% higher mass for a first stage of the same trajectory, but it has almost half the volume of a comparable H2+O2 stage.

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
Kerosene + LOX has the higher energy density per volume. You have about 30% higher mass for a first stage of the same trajectory, but it has almost half the volume of a comparable H2+O2 stage.

So to see if I got this straight, I can use half the volume of RP-1 + LOX to send up a 30% heavier spacecraft into the same trajectory?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So to see if I got this straight, I can use half the volume of RP-1 + LOX to send up a 30% heavier spacecraft into the same trajectory?

No, you need a 30% heavier stage for launching the same payload (or following stages and payload) on the same trajectory (=same pitch profile, same acceleration, same cut-off velocity, and as result: same cut-off time).

While this is rather theoretical to have such similarities in trajectory, it helps in the example to compare the performance.

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
No, you need a 30% heavier stage for launching the same payload (or following stages and payload) on the same trajectory (=same pitch profile, same acceleration, same cut-off velocity, and as result: same cut-off time).

While this is rather theoretical to have such similarities in trajectory, it helps in the example to compare the performance.

Oh, I see now.
Many thanks! :tiphat: