Gaming FSX challenges...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
alright, seeing as how the FSX thread has started back up, i thought i would make a FSX challenge thread...
Ill update this post with the challenges posted by you guys, and the users who completed them. No prizes, just your name...and a batch of E-cookies!!!:thumbup:

challenge #1----------

Shutoff the engines on a fully loaded 737-800 (stock version) at 35,000 feet, and land without harm (note, must be done in 15 MPH crosswind) NO ENGINE RESTART
First: Astrosammy

challenge #2----------

fly from KLAX to KDEN to KDFW as quick as possible, and with as little fuel stops as possible (must complete a touch and go landing at each waypoint)

challenge #3 (credit: Lambo)-------

Take an Airbus A320 or Boeing 737 (default one or third party) and land at Paro, Bhutan (ICAO: VQPR)

First: Ky
Second: Chub777

Last edited:

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
challenge #1----------

Take off from the airport of your choosing in an F-18 and fly below the rim of the grand canyon (where possible) must complete at least one minute of below rim flight

Son, I did this a long time ago, in an F-35 no less.

Flew up to 20k feet, turned off engines, flew 90 degrees straight down, and flew full afterburner in the canyon (After turning back on at about 1,000 feet) for about 2-3 minutes with collision detection on.

T'was exciting.

I'll take you up on part 2 though.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
challenge #1----------

Take off from the airport of your choosing in an F-18 and fly below the rim of the grand canyon (where possible) must complete at least one minute of below rim flight
FSX has a "canyon race" multiplayer event for this. It's not that hard.

Napalm42

Donator
Reaction score
FSX has a "canyon race" multiplayer event for this. It's not that hard.

Yeah, to be honest, the canyon is big, generously so. I've raced Boeing liners in the canyon with a few friends.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
alright, i changed #1, have fun

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
Flying an IFR approach into LOWI is always challenging if you try do it correctly by the charts.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Number 1 didn't sound so hard UNTIL I READ ABOUT THAT CROSSWIND!
:blink:

Lambo

I miss IRC
Reaction score
challenge #1----------

Shutoff the engines on a fully loaded 737-800 (stock version) at 35,000 feet, and land without harm (note, must be done in 15 MPH crosswind)

Did that in FSX already. Comes as a standard mission with the stock B738.
Edit: Oh right, a crosswind, still easy. Now if it was in the PMDG 737-800NGX, then it's a challenge.

challenge #2----------

fly from KLAX to KDEN to KDFW as quick as possible, and with as little fuel stops as possible (must complete a touch and go landing at each waypoint)

I can do that in one hop over a period of 3 hours if I fly the 737-800.

Seriously, it's only 1000nm distance.

Now if you really want a challenge, here's one:

Take an Airbus A320 or Boeing 737 (default one or third party) and land at Paro, Bhutan (ICAO: VQPR)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZqN-uEgQU"]Most difficult landing in the world - Bhutan? - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Ark

Reaction score
Is that terrain in Bhutan actually simulated in FSX?

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a decent 3rd party Ford Trimotor addon out there for FSX? The commercial airliner stuff doesn't appeal much to me, but I could have fun flying a Trimotor to some of those remote airfields.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a decent 3rd party Ford Trimotor addon out there for FSX? The commercial airliner stuff doesn't appeal much to me, but I could have fun flying a Trimotor to some of those remote airfields.

Yes there is, go to www.FlightSim.com and search for "Trimotor" and order results by Downloads but you need an account to download files.

Napalm42

Donator
Reaction score

Simviation.com will also allow you to find it, there are a few guys who have ported directly from FS2004, you don't need one there.

EDIT: As far as I know, Bhutan isn't simulated in the basegame, but a few people have modeled the valley to terrain.

FADEC

Reaction score
All three challenges are not really challenges, for flight sim nerds at least :cheers:

I would say the biggest FSX challenge is to get rid of the "fatal error" crash :lol:

I finally managed to fix it, but some people never did while my config luckily seems work. But my move to FSX was only caused by the PMDG 737NGX which is without competition at the moment, even related to any other flight sim platform and their current products...

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Landing a default A320 at EDLO is also a nice one. Default, because I think that the brakes of it are way to strong, making this challenge possible.

Not that hard, but landing to late means crash into forest...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Landing a default A320 at EDLO is also a nice one. Default, because I think that the brakes of it are way to strong, making this challenge possible.

Not that hard, but landing to late means crash into forest...

Remember Air Transat flight 236? descend too early, hit a cliff. descend too late, go off the cliff... hard descision...dont forget they had no engines
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236"]Air Transat Flight 236 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
im not going to pay to get a better download speed. If simviation is the one im thinking of ive dealt with them ONCE. and never went back