Gaming FSX challenges...

Ark

Reaction score
Completed DC3 flight from Seattle to Anchorage with 2 refueling stops en route. Can you not get fuel at any airport? I had to cheat and edit the aircraft's fuel quantities after landing and taxiing to a stop.

Another question: Even though you can press Shift+3 and bring up the GPS, is there a more realistic way to navigate with the older aircraft? How did they do it when the DC-3 originally started flying?

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Use ground based nav stations.

So if you are flying in the United States, head over to SkyVector.com, look up the enroute chart for the area you are flying, then look at the airways. Tune into the VOR on the airway, and set up your OBS course and fly the correct radial, using a second VOR tuner to mark your position on the airway. That is how they did it back in the day.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Or you can purchase UTX which positions the roads in FSX to the real world roads, then you can pull out an atlas and fly along the interstates until you get to where you are going. That is pure VFR. Using VOR and flying above or in the clouds, higher than 18000 MSL, then you need to fly IFR, and that is using ground based stations for navigation, be it NDB like an ADF beacon, or VORs.

Chub777

Reaction score
2nd challenge is done. Took off from KLAX at 11:59 AM and landed at KDFW at 5:48 PM with wheelstop occuring at 5:46:22. In total, the flight took 5 hours, 47 minutes and a few seconds. I stopped over at KDEN and KLTS to refuel (I just did a touch and go refuel). Aircraft used was a CRJ-700. Pictures coming once I upload them.

Ark

Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised we don't have a sticky FSX general discussion thread...

What's everyone's favorite addon planes? I kind of like bush flying with older hardware like DC3-s. Is there a DC-2 addon besides the payware one?

Also I downloaded an addon DC-5 that I really like, but it doesn't include a virtual cockpit, just the panel. Is there a way to substitute in the vanilla DC-3 virtual cockpit?

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Favorite addon plane?

The PMDG 737NGX by far. Hands down the best simulation of an aircraft in any sim I have seen, visually, systems, the works.

@Ark

the VC file are in the airplane folder for that particular add-on. There is a way to add a VC, I am going by memory here since I last did it years ago with a Project Open Sky 777, you need to put the textures in there, then add the lines in the aircraft.cfg to point to the VC.

I am not infront of my FSX machine, I am on the road at the moment, so I can't be specific here, so I imagine not being much help either.

Getting it into the plane is one thing. If it will function is another. My hunch is that most likely the VC will appear, but have no gauges or functionality in terms of the throttle or flaps, that sort of thing.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Challenge #1 done. Placed my heavy 737 100km east of the UK and made the engines fail. Landing on a short runway at EGPU. Nearly came down like a shuttle. Maybe I'll add some screenshots later.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
EGPU?! In a 737 - that must have been fun!
Yes, that one:
2011-11-10_20-51-53-896.jpg
2011-11-10_21-7-0-457.jpg
2011-11-10_21-10-1-533.jpg
2011-11-10_21-10-5-368.jpg
2011-11-10_21-9-9-794.jpg
2011-11-10_21-9-23-302.jpg

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
heres one for you (actually have managed this myself!!!)

take off in the stock 747 from Manchester (EGCC) from runway 05L and fly a nice long traffic pattern (forget about entering airspace, since its a sim)
whilst youre on the way around, have somebody else "Park" their cessna 172 on the runway at the solid runway marker just short of the first runway exit on the right

land and stop before you flatten the idiot :p

with airbrakes and reverse thrust, the 747 can stop in an unbelievably short distance owing to the huge thrust, jyust make sure to approach as slow as possible, nice and low, and hit the runway nice and early (you're allowed to use the taxi/takeoff part of the runway to land for this challenge)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Land a 737 on an aircraft carrier, without severe wind conditions (e.g., no setting the wind to 100kts)

I pulled this off on the FSX server a couple years ago. I forgot who it was that was in the aircraft carrier that I landed on...

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Favorite addon plane?
The LotusSim L-39.

Ark

Reaction score
Is there a built-in system in FSX for loading and unloading cargo? Searched around a bit, but all I found was people trying to sell me payware.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Is there a built-in system in FSX for loading and unloading cargo? Searched around a bit, but all I found was people trying to sell me payware.

FSX does not work that way. You set up your pax, cargo, and fuel load, but if you are looking for something like UCGO for FSX, no, there is no such thing. I cannot thing of a single aircraft, default, add-on, payware or otherwise, that deals with loading a box into the cargo hold and it actaully be there.

Enter the values for a cargo load so that it behaves right, sure, but not actually loading cargo. Its just not how FSX thinks.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
A nasty challenge for you all.

Fly IFR from East midlands (EGNX) to London City (EGLC)
with Sundays weather in a CJR700 at dusk.

set the weather to
Wind 105 at 7 knts
Visibility to 1/16 mi from 0-5000ft

Remember Citys approach is steep

Citys ILS info
Frequency: 111.15 MHz
Heading: 96

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
What's the Antarctica coverage like?

Punta Arenas to Scott Base in Winter may be... Interesting!

You've never flown down there in FSX yet then, anywhere south of McMurdo is iffy (moving runways, massive trenches with runways at the bottom and other randomness )