Famous Space Quotes

Reaction score
One of my favorite sections from the Rice University speech:

But if I were to say, my fellow citizens, that we shall send to the moon, 240,000 miles away from the control station in Houston, a giant rocket more than 300 feet tall, the length of this football field, made of new metal alloys, some of which have not yet been invented, capable of standing heat and stresses several times more than have ever been experienced, fitted together with a precision better than the finest watch, carrying all the equipment needed for propulsion, guidance, control, communications, food and survival, on an untried mission, to an unknown celestial body, and then return it safely to earth, re-entering the atmosphere at speeds of over 25,000 miles per hour, causing heat about half that of the temperature of the sun--almost as hot as it is here today--and do all this, and do it right, and do it first before this decade is out--then we must be bold.

Pres. John F. Kennedy​

It would be nice to see a little boldness from NASA these days...

Salun

Das Bluejay El DESTROY YOU ALL
Reaction score
"You Know. Say the hatch blew opened just before the booster kicks in. Sucks out all the air. Years from now some one comes here I think they might be a little confused..."Charles Conrad sitting in the CSM about to head to his place of birth in his birthday suit(TEI).

The way I would wanna go out.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
My favorite part of the Rice University speech:

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
John F. Kennedy

Unstung

Reaction score
Of course:
...I'm on the surface; and, as I take man's last step from the surface, back home for some time to come - but we believe not too long into the future - I'd like to just (say) what I believe history will record. That America's challenge of today has forged man's destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the Moon at Taurus- Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. "Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17."
Gene Cernan at 170:41:00

Salun

Das Bluejay El DESTROY YOU ALL
Reaction score
Just so you randomly know who it is Unstung. Imma shoot you down in my AH-1S from the GAC pack! :p

Turbinator

Reaction score
PaleBlueDot.jpg

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar", every "supreme leader", every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe:, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

- Carl Sagan, 1994

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Magnificent Desolation.
-Buzz Aldrin, upon setting foot on the moon.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Being in orbit is about constantly falling - yet, persistently missing the ground"

and actually, the first words on the moon wasn't really the historical "huge leap for mankind " bid - the first WORD said there was simply, "...ok..."

or so i hear :lol:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
'SRB sep and was that something! We got a bunch of crud on the windows at SRB sep Dick' Paul Weitz on STS-6.

'To the next commander of Atlantis, don't worry about bringing gum we already left some on here for you' - Mike Massimino

'Steve Lindsey I was just kidding about the gum' - Scott Altman

'Well that may have been one small step for Neil but it was a heck of a big one for me!' Bruce McCandless

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
yeah, they finally gave me a window to look out... *beeep*

-- unknown, random Orbiter ATC chat :shifty:

That was Mike Collins on Apollo 11, just after the LES tower jettison.

000:03:17 Armstrong: Tower's gone.
000:03:19 McCandless: Roger, tower. [Pause.]

PAO: Neil Armstrong confirming both the engine skirt separation and the launch escape tower separation.

000:03:28 Collins: Houston, be advised the visual is Go today.

000:03:32 McCandless: This is Houston. Roger. Out.

000:03:36 Collins: Yeah, they finally gave me a window to look out. [Pause.]

http://history.nasa.gov/ap11fj/01launch.htm

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"I vonder vere Guenter Vendt?" - Donn Eisele.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ddom2006

Reaction score
Whilst on the moon, John Young - “I got the farts again. I got ’em again, Charlie. I don’t know what the hell gives them to me.”

Space... It's a glamorous business :p.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
"Got the horizon out the front window, goin' for speed" - CDR Ken Cockrell, during STS-80 launch.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is there any page with Shuttle mission comm transcripts? STS-125 also had some beautiful quotes.