OHM Falcon9 for Orbiter2016

bcbarnes

Reaction score
Brianj,

When I load up any of the provided scenarios, if I press F1 to go to internal view, I get a CTD. Happens on both the default rendering version and the DirectX version. I have also installed the dragon update and the dragon update 2 packages, but that did not change anything.

Windows 10 pro, Radeon 8600/8700 HD, 16Gb Ram

Edit: This only happens if the Falcon9 is the current ship. If I change ship to the payload, then F1 works fine.

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Brianj,

When I load up any of the provided scenarios, if I press F1 to go to internal view, I get a CTD. Happens on both the default rendering version and the DirectX version. I have also installed the dragon update and the dragon update 2 packages, but that did not change anything.

Windows 10 pro, Radeon 8600/8700 HD, 16Gb Ram

Edit: This only happens if the Falcon9 is the current ship. If I change ship to the payload, then F1 works fine.
Hi,
sounds like you have the Orbiter2010-P1 version installed. Try installing these:
Falcon9 for Orbiter2016
https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=7091

Cargo Dragon for Orbiter2016
https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=7092

Or run a scenario that gives CTD and then post contents of orbiter.log here and I can gave a look.

Cheers,
BrianJ

bcbarnes

Reaction score
Brianj - thanks for the reply, and sorry for wasting your time. That fixed it.

Marijn

Reaction score
Hello Brian
Thank you for this add-on. I am having lots of fun with it. Question:

When I launch into a 200x200km orbit, the launch computer does a good job. But when I try to launch into a 1000x1000km orbit, the launch computer seems to have a hard time. Near the end of the launch, the pitch oscillates between up and down and the target orbit is not achieved before running out of fuel.

Is this a limitation of the launch computer? Or should a 1000x1000km not be a problem? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Marijn,
the highest direct-insertion orbit I ever tested was 700km at 96deg (~SSO).
Trying to go to 1000km direct is probably giving the autopilot a nervous breakdown.
If it is possible at all, you might try turning off the autopilot when it starts to fail and fly it manually. (Let me know if you try it succesfully!)

More logical to go for a 2-burn strategy - set initial target orbit to 200km x 1000km, then make 2nd burn at Apogee to raise Perigee to 1000km. You'll get more payload capacity that way too.

Cheers,
BrianJ

Marijn

Reaction score
Hello BrianJ,
Thanks for your answer. I did many launches in the meantime and indeed, a 2-burn strategy works best. I was trying to create some sort of Zuma scenario, based on it's estimated orbit. I made a video which you might like:

Nothing special since this is my first video ever and there is much to learn. The most interesting part is that key events like maxQ and meco match up to the second when the audio of the SpaceX stream is dubbed. That means your Falcon9 is very much like the real thing. I did some minor editing to have events during the fly-back sync with the audio as well.

One nice future addition could be 2nd stage depressurizing and fuel venting. Have you seen the picture of the 2nd stage on it's second orbit near Khartoum? https://sattrackcam.blogspot.nl/2018/01/fuel-dump-of-zumas-falcon-9-upper-stage.html

Apparently, that makes the 2nd stage to spin. I tried to emulate that in the video by creating a spin with the RCS and very low thrust to dump all remaining fuel.

Ok, thanks again. Regards Marijn

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cool vid :thumbup: Thanks!
It was a nice touch syncing the SpaceX commentary.

RE:2nd stage fuel venting - could be done, I implemented that for my old LRO/LCROSS add-on Centaur stage. I'll take a look and see if it works ok.

Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Update 180127 on OH:

Various cosmetic changes to pads, pad effects, launcher, etc.

Fairings re-aligned(90deg rotation).

Core post-landing RCS function for uneven landing zones.

2nd stage fuel dump function.

Two Earth/Elev_mod/ tiles for flatter LZ areas at KSC and VAFB*
*Requires Orbiter2015 Hi-Res Texture Pack for West Coast USA “EarthHi_11_05.zip”
https://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Earth/EarthHi_11_05.zip

Thanks to all for feedback, etc.
Cheers,
BrianJ

Marijn

Reaction score
Thank you again. It looks exactly like the real Falcon Heavy. This thread is about the Falcon9R V1.2. Maybe repost it in the Falcon Heavy thread?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thank you again. It looks exactly like the real Falcon Heavy. This thread is about the Falcon9R V1.2. Maybe repost it in the Falcon Heavy thread?
You're very welcome!
I think this is the correct thread for Falcon9 updates ;-)

pappy2

Reaction score
Hello "Brianj"

I just installed your addon for the Falcon9 Orbiter 2016 (falcon9_o2016_180127.zip)
As well as the Addon LC39A SpaceX (lc39a_spacex_170811.zip)
But when I start the scenario the PAD SpaceX is not visible,
is the crawler of the shuttle is still in place.

9ym8.jpg

Before this last update I did not have this problem.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi pappy2,
1) Did you edit your Earth.cfg to use LC39A?
Code:
BEGIN_SURFBASE
DIR Earth\BaseSpaceX CONTEXT SpaceX
DIR Earth\Base
END_SURFBASE

2) Does your scenario have the CONTEXT parameter?
Code:
BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 57874.466667
  CONTEXT SpaceX
END_ENVIRONMENT
Cheers,
Brian

pappy2

Reaction score
It's OK now

1) Did you edit your Earth.cfg to use LC39A?
Code:

BEGIN_SURFBASE
DIR Earth\BaseSpaceX CONTEXT SpaceX
DIR Earth\Base
END_SURFBASE

MERCI BRIAN

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Cosmetic idea:

You could make a F9 vessel called "Falcon9R_V12\f9_v12_reused" or something of that sort that has a sooty F9 first stage, as more than likely most F9's in the future that are reused missions will not have a clean first stage.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
They don't repaint?

Starting CRS-13 they've stopped cleaning the soot off the boosters (Iridium-4 and FH are exceptions). GovSat-1's first stage has been spotted as being "sooty" too.

CRS-13:

SpaceX-CRS-13-On-Pad.jpg

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cosmetic idea:

You could make a F9 vessel called "Falcon9R_V12\f9_v12_reused" or something of that sort that has a sooty F9 first stage, as more than likely most F9's in the future that are reused missions will not have a clean first stage.
I'll try and do something for the next update. Looks like a new interstage section and landing gear in that pic.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Starting CRS-13 they've stopped cleaning the soot off the boosters (Iridium-4 and FH are exceptions). GovSat-1's first stage has been spotted as being "sooty" too.

CRS-13:

So, we've FINALLY made it to a Sci-Fi esque future with old, dirty looking spacecraft!?

Last edited: