OHM Falcon 9 - Dragon spacecraft

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Second the observation on wacky re-entry aerodynamics.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Second the observation on wacky re-entry aerodynamics.

That's the way all capsules have entered since Gemini. It's done by having a slightly off-set CoG. I was surprised that the angle was this large, but if you look at the heat shield, it's quite asymmetrical.
I have no sound on the first stage too.

Great add-on. Good job!!! :thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's the way all capsules have entered since Gemini. It's done by having a slightly off-set CoG. I was surprised that the angle was this large, but if you look at the heat shield, it's quite asymmetrical.
I have no sound on the first stage too.

Great add-on. Good job!!! :thumbup:

Still the orientation of the heat shield is inverse. When it flies at positive lift, the heat shield should be pointing more downwards, instead of rather upwards.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/research/technology-onepagers/optimization.html

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Still the orientation of the heat shield is inverse. When it flies at positive lift, the heat shield should be pointing more downwards, instead of rather upwards.

I must admit I didn't try that. :lol: I only flew one reentry and used only rotation on the way down.

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

jaydog

Reaction score
Looks good

Mesh wasnt visible in 2006 but 2010 worked fine, but not worried about that, I only use 2006 for models that require vinkas stage routines. If its true to the real falcon 9 that things got some serious gonads hitting mach 3 before 20k.

Thanks Glider!

:tumbleweed:

I have not failed in making the electric light. I have just found 10,000 ways it doesnt work.

Thomas Edison

znttnt11

Reaction score
I need help. when using autopilot theres no sound! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Read the whole thread. This issue has been previously noted.
If you want sound you'll have to launch manually, or use Artlav's Universal AutoPilot.

Iberville

Reaction score
What would make this addon fantastic would be the ability to fix UCGO inside the cargo version to resupply the ISS (the ISS version of DANSTEPH with the oxygen and food setting). Also, being able to ajust the names and the quantity of UMMU would be great.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I love this add-on. However, I've found Artlav's new Universal Auto Pilot ([ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5269"]Universal Autopilots 0.3.1[/ame]) to be a better alternative than the default autopilot that comes with this.

So far I only have figured out the launch settings for UAP, not docking or anything. But, I like to do that stuff myself anyway, and I've gotten to the ISS and back with fuel to spare. These are the launch settings that I am using in the mission file:

Code:
BEGIN_uap
  $Falcon 9:lift_off(is_running=0,is_started=0,is_finished=0,engine=main,mode=2,target=iss,heading=90.000000,altitude=491.008764,pitch_tgt=5.000000,pitch_duration=131.000000,off_duration=6.000000,stage=0),
  trans_orbit(is_running=0,is_started=0,is_finished=0,engine=main,kind=0,target=iss,heading=90.000000,apoapsis=340000.000000,periapsis=215000.000000,ta=0.000000,mode=0). 
END

I have it timed so that the switch between lift off and trans orbit occurs exactly at the first stage separation, and also so the second stage doesn't ever have to pitch up or down more than a degree or two (hours of trial and error).

I feel that these are the advantages of using UAP:

1) First stage will have SOUND!
2)Better alignment to ISS without having to know the launch heading yourself.
3)Smoother ascent profile.

Please try and and see if you get the same results.

yankeeman1028

Reaction score
how do you launch the falcon 9? if it is with ctrl + then mine is not working. the scenario editor says it has a full load of fuel.

SandroSalgueiro

Reaction score
Had some weird trouble after launch -- at 15K, the rocket made a loop maneuver and started flying in the opposite azimuth, killing all the horizontal velocity.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Did you try with UAP?

I love this add-on. However, I've found Artlav's new Universal Auto Pilot (Universal Autopilots 0.3.1) to be a better alternative than the default autopilot that comes with this.

So far I only have figured out the launch settings for UAP, not docking or anything. But, I like to do that stuff myself anyway, and I've gotten to the ISS and back with fuel to spare. These are the launch settings that I am using in the mission file:

Code:
BEGIN_uap
  $Falcon 9:lift_off(is_running=0,is_started=0,is_finished=0,engine=main,mode=2,target=iss,heading=90.000000,altitude=491.008764,pitch_tgt=5.000000,pitch_duration=131.000000,off_duration=6.000000,stage=0),
  trans_orbit(is_running=0,is_started=0,is_finished=0,engine=main,kind=0,target=iss,heading=90.000000,apoapsis=340000.000000,periapsis=215000.000000,ta=0.000000,mode=0). 
END

I have it timed so that the switch between lift off and trans orbit occurs exactly at the first stage separation, and also so the second stage doesn't ever have to pitch up or down more than a degree or two (hours of trial and error).

I feel that these are the advantages of using UAP:

1) First stage will have SOUND!
2)Better alignment to ISS without having to know the launch heading yourself.
3)Smoother ascent profile.

Please try and and see if you get the same results.

Tychonaut

Underexpanded
Donator
Reaction score
Apologies if I missed any comments to this effect, but has anyone tried this addon with Orbiter NG and D3D9?
Using RC33 of the D3D9 client with the latest release of this addon I had the following problems:
-Autopilot text doesn't appear when scenarios start, as it does in the normal Orbiter client. Autopilot does work, however.
-The nozzle of the Merlin Vacuum on the 2nd stage does not glow when the engine is operating. Again, unlike in standard Orbiter.
-When the 2nd stage shuts down and I press the 'p' key to separate the capsule from the stage, Orbiter suffers a CTD. I've verified that at least three times now. Crash to desktop on every attempt. Works fine in standard Orbiter.

I have no idea if the source of the problems is with the addon, NG, or D3D9, but I figured I'd try posting here and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Reaction score
Needs some bugfixes, mainly meaning the autopilot, it should get Rlnc to as low as possible and then stay at the center line on the orbit hud. Instead it stays on the positive side of the orbit vector, thus increasing the Rlnc. Also, the second stage has enough fuel left to decrease maximum Rlnc of about 1.50 degrees. Pls fix this and try fixing the mesh bug during reentry.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Needs some bugfixes, mainly meaning the autopilot, it should get Rlnc to as low as possible and then stay at the center line on the orbit hud. Instead it stays on the positive side of the orbit vector, thus increasing the Rlnc. Also, the second stage has enough fuel left to decrease maximum Rlnc of about 1.50 degrees. Pls fix this and try fixing the mesh bug during reentry.

I think you need to manually pitch to get the RInc down.