Question Ever wonder what the skies of the gas giants would look like from ground?

Foofoo14

Reaction score
Even though there isn't anything to stand on, wouldn't it still be cool?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If there's nothing to stand on, then there is no "ground" from which to base your observation...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Depending how deep in it you were, you wouldn't be able to see very far...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A floating (balloon suspended) platform could work...

If you were high up enough to see clear skies, they'd probably be blue like our sky, due to absorption of red light by the atmosphere. (Don't know about the absorption patterns of hydrogen and helium though).

Clouds would be awesome.

Higher altitude, and the sky would appear darker and more of a violet colour. Lower altitude, it would start to become turquoise and eventually a cream colour.

Deep enough, and you wouldn't see past the clouds.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yes.
Ever since i've seen this image:
s09_11800_10.jpg

E

ex-orbinaut

I, on the other hand, have wondered what each of the gas giants would look like from any of their moons (the close in the better). It is the apparent size in the sky of those behemoths that I think would be awe inspiring.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It is Saturn.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I, on the other hand, have wondered what each of the gas giants would look like from any of their moons (the close in the better). It is the apparent size in the sky of those behemoths that I think would be awe inspiring.
I agree, that would be fantastic.

Michkov

Reaction score

One thing which I always wondered is how brigth would it be at night sitting on the moon with sun-moon-planet in a line. Shouldnt it be qutie bright due the Gas Giant reflecting the light?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It should be, but if you're in the outer solar system it's important to remember that sunlight is greatly reduced.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One thing which I always wondered is how brigth would it be at night sitting on the moon with sun-moon-planet in a line. Shouldnt it be qutie bright due the Gas Giant reflecting the light?

Well, if you've seen any pics of Saturn from Cassini, the dark side of Saturn is never really dark, because the rings reflect so much sunlight...

Recently, the immiging team had a nice opportunity to take some shots of the dark side, because Saturn's rings were edge-on to the Sun, so they reflected very little light. They got some nice pics...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It should be, but if you're in the outer solar system it's important to remember that sunlight is greatly reduced.
I often forget about this... The sun really is quite 'dim' in the outer planets.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
As a bit of perspective, the sun is so weak by Jupiter that it can't melt water ice...

Supposedly by the "surface" of one of the gas giants, which is a storm tossed ocean of high pressure hydrogen, there's no visible light except flashes of lightning. There would be infrared from the heat of the core, and radio waves (biological radar), and any life that evolved in that environment would see in those parts of the specra. But there would be no "star gazing" going on.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm sure that if it was hot enough, the surroundings would actually be incandescent...