News Ender's Game movie in Nov. 2013

Mister Mxyzptlk

Reaction score
I just read that "Ender's Game" the Excellent story by Orson Scott Card will be coming out as a movie in November of 2013. I hope they do it well.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Or, yet another great book to be turned into a garbled movie that only shares the character names with it?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or, yet another great book to be turned into a garbled movie that only shares the character names with it?

I don't quite expect that... Juvenile action is always a good money earner, and Card delivered on that very solidly (frankly, I never quite understood what all the hype was about. Sure, it's got one hell of a twist ending, but other than that it's pretty standard "special kids beat up everyone"-fare).

I fully expect them to mess up the zero-G combat sequences real good so kids don't get all confused about what's happening, which will be a pitty as I found it the most enjoyable and the most thought through elements in the book (the side story of "other special kids plot to assume world's political leadership" had me groaning. It's just too far fetched, as well as the Chain reaction missile at the end), but I see no reason for them to deviate too far from the plot. It's got everything could want from such a movie (and it isn't 40 years old and therefore not in the awkward position of requiring a rewrite to avoid cultural dissonance overkill, which is most often the problem when trying to adapt more classical pieces of science fiction).

Mister Mxyzptlk

Reaction score
I share Artlav's reservations as good sci-fi book adaptions to movies are few and far between. In general, good sci-fi movies are rare. I did a test and picked 10 sci-fi movie titles that I had never heard of off the shelf at the local video store, and then came home and checked out their reviews on the website "Rotten Tomatoes". All but one rated in the single digits. Pretty sad.

Ark

Reaction score
I have full faith in Hollywood's ability to turn good source material into jumbled crap that tries to appeal to too many audiences at once.

romanasul

Reaction score
Ender's Game is the only book that I've read from beginning to end and it's the only one i've ever liked. Hopefully the movie will inspire as well.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I share Artlav's reservations as good sci-fi book adaptions to movies are few and far between. In general, good sci-fi movies are rare. I did a test and picked 10 sci-fi movie titles that I had never heard of off the shelf at the local video store, and then came home and checked out their reviews on the website "Rotten Tomatoes". All but one rated in the single digits. Pretty sad.
Not a particularly rigorous experiment--since you hadn't heard of them, they were likely lower-budget, and sci-fi is a genre that definitely benefits from a larger budget.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I've got basically jedidia's view of the book, but a little more negative. So I don't really care what they do with the movie. :p
They could easily get into contact with the author. (if they don't mind affiliation, given his public views)