Em drives

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Holy smokes! A first hypothesis for how this apparent violation of Conservation of Momentum is being resolved. "Quantized inertia". Fascinating and potentially revolutionary if proven.

FTFY.

Also, the article asserts a definitive conclusion has been reached regarding the experimental "evidence" when in fact the conclusions are disputed under accusations of experimental error.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

I'm so bold to try a prediction: people will pour money into that, launch it, start it, nothing happens. Then the initiator - being cornered by the investors - will claim that the measurement equipment was just too coarse to actually measure the tiny force involved. More investment is needed to launch a better equipped mission to eventually settle the dispute. And so on...

Popcorn-Science. Yay for the entertainment :cheers:.

P.S.: it makes me a bit sad to see one of my university profs being connected to this. While I know him to be a bit overly enthusiastic regarding break-through technologies, I thought him to be a scientist who won't go for that kind of PR.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm so bold to try a prediction: people will pour money into that, launch it, start it, nothing happens. Then the initiator - being cornered by the investors - will claim that the measurement equipment was just too coarse to actually measure the tiny force involved. More investment is needed to launch a better equipped mission to eventually settle the dispute. And so on...

A possible outcome, but if the thing is solar powered it should be able to alter the trajectory measurably over the course of a few months. If it works, that is.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And then they discover: Earth has a magnetic field and an electric charge moving through a magnetic field experiences a force. :rofl:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If the experiment brings evidence that we could use that for satelite propulsion, that would already be quite some benefit.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If the experiment brings evidence that we could use that for satelite propulsion, that would already be quite some benefit.

I have doubts there, because of the really small magnitude of the measured force. If it would really be useful for propulsion, there should be a way to increase thrust, like more thrust per engine or multiple engines.

Seriously: Even butterfly coughs produce more thrust.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Then there's the problem with possible orbital perturbations and solar radiation pressure, which shouldn't be very small compared with the drive's predicted acceleration, especially since the thrust prediction for this "engine" is very unreliable/impossible, even if it should work, though I'm skeptical.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A possible outcome, but if the thing is solar powered it should be able to alter the trajectory measurably over the course of a few months. If it works, that is.

Provided they even launch and are not stopped short by whoever gives permission on such things, I don't see why it should do anything but sitting in its orbit. Why I am so certain? Well, I've followed the discussions on NSF and various scientific communities for like 2 years now, and although most of the folks discussing there are NOT nut-jobs (far from it), they still suffer from a certain kind of selective perception IMHO. To me it looks like they are chasing the mythical shrinking force.

If anything, they might get a force approximately amounting to the photon-rocket equation. But then the sail effect on the solar panels alone will spoil measurements.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
From what I gathered, they weren't actually planning on trying to take direct measurements -- they were going to put it up there and see if it fell down after 6 weeks or 6 months:
Fetta intends the satellite to stay on station for at least six months, rather than the six weeks that would be typical for a satellite this size at a altitude of 150 miles. The longer it stays in orbit, the more the satellite will show that it must be producing thrust without propellant.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From this article it seems the altitude of the Cannae drive cubsat would be about 150 miles.

I imagine the effects of drag felt there, which are notoriously difficult to model, will serve to make the test results ambiguous enough for the "inventor" to shrug off claims of fraud.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
To me it looks like they are chasing the mythical shrinking force.

Yes, exactly, remember the Pioneer anomaly and how long careful scientists needed to prove that it was really not a new kind of force? Confirmation bias is a :censored:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Holy smokes! A first theory for how this apparent violation of Conservation of Momentum is being resolved. "Quantized inertia". Fascinating and potentially revolutionary if proven.

I have to admit to some skepticism. This sounds like the insane ramblings of a madman.

But, to be honest, most stuff in accepted quantum physics sounds like the insane ramblings of a madman to me. So I really can't distinguish legitimate quantum physics applications from crackpot pseudo-scientific garage inventor babble.

The fact that NASA is still mucking with it suggests that they are having similar difficulties.

Until we can give a working knowledge of quantum physics to a technical layman, I don't know how we can proceed with technological advances that are based on physics only well-understood by a handful of people.

Last edited:

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The Space Show recently did an interview with Dr. Jim Woodward and Dr. Heidi Fearn about the "Mach effect"/"Woodward effect". The radio host and one of his callers went to the lab and interviewed the two and looked around the lab which they both were impressed with. It is not EM drives but I thought it is fairly similar to the same claims made by EM drives as is this, ie small thrusts detected in experimental equipment. I was thinking of making a new thread but perhaps this is the best place. If you have time to listen to the interview I recommend it as it is interesting. It starts around 1h20m mark.

http://thespaceshow.com/show/18-sep-2016/broadcast-2776-taped-interviews-aiaa-space-2016

Our second segment had me return to the physics lab of Dr. Jim Woodward and Dr. Heidi Fearn at Cal State Fullerton. Space Show listener and frequent caller John Hunt was with me so that this time our discussion would be more focused on physics and technical questions. This was the first time I had the opportunity to meet Jim as last year Heidi was the only one present in the lab with Robert Jacobson and myself. John and I took several pictures of the lab equipment, the test screen showing the results Jim talked about and a group photo of the four of us. I hope to be able to upload most of these photos later in the week to this blog post. Look for my announcement when the photos are uploaded. This segment is about 1 hour 40 minutes in length. Again, there was lab equipment running the background so the interview is noisy. In addition, both Heidi and Jim were very soft spoken.

We started our discussion with Heidi going over some of the lab equipment and showing us what was inside the lab boxes that Jim had made to do his Mach analysis. John asked Jim multiple questions about the formulas and the results showing "thrust" and how Jim knew or at least why he thought the thrust was real and not an artifact of the experiment. We talked about this for a big part of the discussion. Also discussed was the next step Dr. Woodward needed to take to validate the experiment, having others replicate his work, challenges ahead, funding issues, and the underlying physics of Mach's Principle. I believe this was a comprehensive interview covering multiple topics related to Jim work regarding Mach's thrusters. From finance to physics and science, it was a thorough discussion.

The third and final segment of this archived show is the discussion John Hunt and I had after the Woodward interview. We discussed what Jim and Heidi told us, the need for them to go to the next step and to do that, the need for there to be additional funding. We both thought that the effect was likely real but the experiment needed to be ramped up with more power for a bigger effect yet so far the money for the equipment and the experiment is not there. John and I were positive but wanting more verification. We were both extremely impressed with Dr. Woodward. He was an exceptional friendly, softs spoken person who was as sharp as a person could be and a true expert in experimental physics. You will hear us explain why we both came to the conclusion that Dr. Woodward and Dr. Fearn are very much real scientists doing real physics and not fringe or out of the box work. Heidi's work is the work of a theoretical physicist. When you go to her CV, you can see a list of her published papers.

Last edited: