Gaming Dwarf Fortress: Building Staircases

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

So I've started playing with Dwarf Fortress, and I'm having a lot of fun with the little guys. However, I'm having serious issues trying to get working on different Z-levels of my mountain lair. I've checked out the DF wiki's stair guide and I've been experimenting around, but I can't seem to get usable staircases made, even with creating the up-down units. Could someone provide a few pointers? I'm sure it's simple once you get down to it, of course. I'm just missing something.

Thanks. :cheers:

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
An annotated(draw on it with paint) screenshot would help us diagnose the problem. Also go to the first post in the bloodline thread and look at the fortress maps and see if you can notice a difference.
Code:
╔══0+0══╗
║Ω+++++Ω║
║+++U+++║
║+++╥+++║
║+++☺+++║
║Ω+++++Ω║
╚═══════╝
The dwarf and a human merchant discuss a new trade agreement

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll try to get screenshots together tonight for posting, and I'll take another look at the fortress thread.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Also, a tip with stairs: always use up/down stairs. They function the same as other stairs but allow you an option to build up or down a level in the future if you went.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I actually figured it out. However, what I did not realize was the significant danger that underground water poses when you attempt to build through it... my basement is flooded. I have never build walls so quick. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I actually figured it out. However, what I did not realize was the significant danger that underground water poses when you attempt to build through it... my basement is flooded. I have never build walls so quick. :p

I have just found raw adamantine in my 40d17 test fortress...despite not having searched for it. And that with a rather small fortress of 42 dwarves...

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I have just found raw adamantine in my 40d17 test fortress...despite not having searched for it. And that with a rather small fortress of 42 dwarves...
Praise the miners! Deck your guys out in masterwork adamantite armor and weapons! Remember, losing is fun!
The Dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dum. Shadow and flame.