Downloading Orbiter 2006 Hires Earth Textures

hypersonic

Ancient Starship
Reaction score
Hi all,
Like some here, i still use 2006, as alas my ship of choice (Vespucci D) is no longer compatible with 2010, unless someone can reverse engineer the DLL & make the changes, so that it is... (There does seem to be some tools out there now that might be capable).. Any programmers out their up for the Challenge?

Anyway, i was stupidly screwing around changing Earth & cloud Textures & have pranged my Install, so now all i get is a CTD whilst the graphics load..

I imagine a simple replacement of the textures will fix the problem, as this was all i was screwing with...
However WHERE can i download the Old 2006 files.. (ALL OF THEM as well, just in case i DO decide to create a clean install?)

And if anyone MIGHT feel bold enough to try & reverse engineer Vespucci D? ;-)

Many thanks

hypersonic

Ancient Starship
Reaction score
Splendid..
Many thanks for the pointers.. All fixed now :-D

Any thoughts on my 'other' question.. Being.. How hard' would it be with current developer tools to 'reverse engineer' Vespucci D's DLL now, in order to re-construct it and thus edit it, to not only make it 2010 & future compatible, but also make enhancements / tweaks?

Is there anyone in the orbiter community wanting to give it a stab?
Hype.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
They would need to establish permission to do this from the author. Even though the content is freely available, it's still the IP of the creator.
I feel yout pain though, the Vespucci-D was one of my favorites in Orbiter '06.

hypersonic

Ancient Starship
Reaction score
Authors and editing freeware...

Hi,

Are the initial contributors of the Vespucci D (Omegaspace, John McCain and Nectioch), Still present on the Orbiter forums? - Either as these user names or as 'new' names?

I would think that if they have 'gone' or at least not contactable, that changes 'CAN' be made anyway, just as long as credit & thanks is duly and correctly given, by acknowledging the original copyright.

Secondly, putting the above aside... 'IS' reverse engineering the DLL possible with today's tools? - Even just to make the Ship 'Visible' in Orbiter 2010?

Hyper.

llarian

Reaction score
Products being "freeware" does not negate their authors copyright nor their being intellectual properties. Neither does their owners seeming absence. You must receive permission to make changes or use parts of their efforts in continuing efforts directly or through the licence under which the product was released. Just acknowledging credit and thanks may not be sufficient.

hypersonic

Ancient Starship
Reaction score
Products being "freeware" does not negate their authors copyright nor their being intellectual properties. Neither does their owners seeming absence. You must receive permission to make changes or use parts of their efforts in continuing efforts directly or through the licence under which the product was released. Just acknowledging credit and thanks may not be sufficient.

Hi llarian, I understand that, but it doesn't answer the real question of.. IS IT possible reverse engineer the DLL?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I don't remember the source code being available. I suppose if you were knew how to break into it, that it could be done. But I (for one) don't know how.