Developer Incoming. Hey People!

Aev

The Architect
Donator
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm a university student who's not exactly new to these forums or to Orbiter in general; I've been a silent member of the Orbiter community for quite a while. I found myself logging into my old account on the dansteph forums and decided to finally go ahead and create a account here.

My reasons for joining these forums relate to the fact that I'm restarting a project I had began working on 4 years ago. At this time, I don't want to reveal what this project is, but it's quite large and I'll be spending many hours on it. What separates me from most addon developers is my language of choice; I program in java and as a result, I can't contribute any in-game features. With that being said, I still found several ways I could be of use.

All of you will definitely be seeing me around on these forums. I'll end this long intro with a special thanks to Martin and the community in general for creating one of my biggest addictions :tiphat:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello,

Coding addons in C++ is not that hard, provided you have the method. It definitively worths a try, it allows you to do nearly anything you can imagine. There are also excellent tutorials.

Welcome to the forums, and beware, here we :hail: the almighty :probe: !

:hailprobe::hailprobe::hailprobe:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What separates me from most addon developers is my language of choice; I program in java and as a result, I can't contribute any in-game features. With that being said, I still found several ways I could be of use.

Actually, we have quite many Java developers here, I am also currently doing Java for a living... if you are interested in a Java project, I am currently looking at a JavaFX 2.2 based mission editor and add-on modding tool for Space Shuttle Ultra.

picture.php

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Echoing the others, there is not too great a barrier between Java and C++; many concepts are directly transferable, and others are minor compared to the primary concepts, which Java would have already taught you.

Aev

The Architect
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

I may pick up C++ if time allows, so perhaps I will be able to contribute in game addons later on. I'll definitely take a look!

Urwumpe said:
Actually, we have quite many Java developers here, I am also currently doing Java for a living... if you are interested in a Java project, I am currently looking at a JavaFX 2.2 based mission editor and add-on modding tool for Space Shuttle Ultra.

I'm still stuck in the land of Swing. Perhaps I should devote some time to learning JavaFX, though I've been procrastinating with it. In any case, it's nice to know other Java developers are around; all I ever read on these forums concerned C++.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm still stuck in the land of Swing. Perhaps I should devote some time to learning JavaFX, though I've been procrastinating with it. In any case, it's nice to know other Java developers are around; all I ever read on these forums concerned C++.

Thats because Orbiter add-on development is mostly done in C++, if it does not rely on a generic module.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
In any case, it's nice to know other Java developers are around; all I ever read on these forums concerned C++.
It's no different from reading almost all coding problems concerning Java on Minecraft forums, or C# on KSP forums, which doesn't really mean they only develop in these languages.

Aev

The Architect
Donator
Reaction score
Thats because Orbiter add-on development is mostly done in C++, if it does not rely on a generic module.

It's no different from reading almost all coding problems concerning Java on Minecraft forums, or C# on KSP forums, which doesn't really mean they only develop in these languages.

Very true.

One last random question that just came to mind. To be considered an "addon developer" and join the group, are you required to produce an actual in-game addon, or are external tools considered "addons" in general?

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Always good to see new faces (especially devs) around here.

I cut my development teeth on Java; it was the first language I learned (well, aside from basic HTML). I was self-taught starting out then took Java as part of the curriculum for my degree. Knowing it definitely made picking up C++ just a bit easier.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Very true.

One last random question that just came to mind. To be considered an "addon developer" and join the group, are you required to produce an actual in-game addon, or are external tools considered "addons" in general?

No, it is enough to declare that you are going to be one. Some people just produce a single scenario to call themselves add-on developer, so go figure.

If you would be required to release one add-on every year... damn, I would be just a blank user by then. :lol:

Aev

The Architect
Donator
Reaction score
No, it is enough to declare that you are going to be one. Some people just produce a single scenario to call themselves add-on developer, so go figure.

If you would be required to release one add-on every year... damn, I would be just a blank user by then. :lol:

Haha, fair enough, and thanks for the quick response. I'll at least produce an extremely bug riddled pre-alpha version of my project prior to requesting membership in the group. That way, I'll actually be worthy of the "add-on developer" title and not an impostor. :cheers:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

To be clear, Addon Developer badges can only be granted to a member after he submits a download link to his add-on(s) in the Addon Developer Join Request form via the Groups Memberships page in the User Control Panel. O-F staff then reviews the add-on(s) and comes to a consensus as to whether the work meets the minimum threshold for the Addon Developer badge -- I can assure you that simply posting a scenario or packaging up a few simple files does not meet that threshold.