OHM Delta 4 Heavy Lifter

virii2k

Reaction score
update

I have been working on a basic autopilot, after looking up some information it appears that the fairing is released before the CBC on some launches and for launches on the west coast, so that has been changed so the fairing can be jettisoned before or after the CBC. So, now I am back to figuring out autopilot and considering Launch Complex 6 (SLC-6) at Vandenberg Air Force Base for western range launches.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Great add-on ! The custom payload manager is an excellent idea !! Will get even better with an autopilot (could be an LUA script), and maybe some additional work on the exhaust textures :thumbup:

virii2k

Reaction score
I will have to check into a LUA script. I have it now where The heading can be selected and the altitude. I just need to make some adjustments for different payload weights. Right now it works great getting the Delta Heavy up to a 350km orbit with its default payload, but when I switch to a lighter payload it overshoots the altitude. I have some ideas to fix this so I will be working on this somemore soon. I am also completeing SLC 6 for western launches. With the way it works now to select a different ship during the simulation, it may not be possible to launch 2 of the same versions from each launch site at the same time , but I am looking for a workaround for this. Eitherway, There should ba an update in the next few weeks. Here some screenshots of the progress.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
WOW!
Fantastic, great looking, you name it. Keep up the good work!

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very nice job, and timely, too: last I heard, there's a Delta IV heavy taking off this Monday from Cape Canaveral.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm trying to send a satellite in lunar orbit with it, and I encounter a few glitches :

• During launch, the thrust is automatically controlled, it should be possible to disable this feature unless there is an autopilot.
  • The "mission timer" displays even when you switch focus to another ship
  • Looks like you've disabled the HUD-mouse RCS mode selection ; but this feature applies to all ships in the simulation.
  • I got the upper stage in trans-lunar trajectory, and I want to use what remains of its fuel to achieve lunar orbit. Every time I reload the scenario, the stage fires automatically after 5 seconds or so.

Keep it up with good work :thumbup:

:hailprobe:

Edit : Second stage RCS is way too much overpowered IMHO (though I've no idea how the RCS of a Delta4M second stage works).

Last edited:

virii2k

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
I have already addressed some of these issues and will look into the others when I get a chance.
As far as the textures go , I tried to get them as close as I could to this pic.
delta_heavy1.jpg

BUT, my graphic skills ain't that great.

I am willing to consider any ideas that will make it look better.
For now I am concentrating on the autopilot. When I first released this, it was WAY overpowered so I made changes to get the thrust and weight to match info that I could find, that made it really hard to get into orbit especially the delta medium versions. Getting into a lunar orbit.... You'll have to tell me how you did that..lol .
With the autopilot, I have no problem getting the maximum weight into a near perfect 350 km orbit with a little fuel left to spare. Now I just need to make a few adjustments so it works with the different payload weights.

ryandtw

Reaction score
Are you thinking about support for Spacecraft3 vehicles? It seems that I cannot do it with this, unlike Multistage2, which can support Spacecraft3 vehicles...

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
I have already addressed some of these issues and will look into the others when I get a chance.
As far as the textures go , I tried to get them as close as I could to this pic.

BUT, my graphic skills ain't that great.
You could always send a PM to francisdrake asking if you could use his RS-68 exhaust textures in this package: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=902"]Delta 4 Heavy Versatile - Vers. 0.51[/ame]

Also, here's a nice Vandenberg AFB add-on, complete with surface tiles that should go nicely with your SLC-6: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2380"]VandenbergAFB - 2006[/ame]

virii2k

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the textures, I will check them out. I just found a major flaw on the medium versions, The CBC shouldnt throttle down as it does on the Heavy. This will be fixed on the next release.

---------- Post added 11-20-10 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-19-10 at 11:56 PM ----------

Ok, I am having a tough time with autopilot, and before I get to far maybe someone would like to test out what I have and give me some input so I know if I am on the right track with it. It is by no means finished, but I dont want to get too far and have to do a total rewrite. It is working somewhat for the Delta IV Heavy ONLY. Heres the Link, there may be some bugs but let me know what you find. This should also fix the problem of second stage reigniting after continueing a scenario.
LINK REMOVEDhttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=WUGP0KPH

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Sorry if anyone downloaded the last file, this is the correct one-
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EHQDIATM

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Hi, I just dropped by on this thread. The screenshots of the launch scenario look impressive, indeed!

Please feel free to use the textures from my Delta 4 Heavy Versatile if you like. If required I can also supply the dll-code. The launch guidance autopilot was still quite basic there, only capable of rolling to a desired heading and pitching down during ascent; it was based on Ariane V guide system when being developed.

There is a doc with this addon showing details on how I tweaked some performance parameters for a better flyability within Orbiter, without sacrificing too much realism ;)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's my notes:

1. Seems to be chasing the heading during CBC burn, yawing and never settling down
  2. Fairing should occur during U/S burn, not CBC burn.

virii2k

Reaction score
Hi, I just dropped by on this thread. The screenshots of the launch scenario look impressive, indeed!

Please feel free to use the textures from my Delta 4 Heavy Versatile if you like. If required I can also supply the dll-code. The launch guidance autopilot was still quite basic there, only capable of rolling to a desired heading and pitching down during ascent; it was based on Ariane V guide system when being developed.

There is a doc with this addon showing details on how I tweaked some performance parameters for a better flyability within Orbiter, without sacrificing too much realism ;)
Thanks, I will get around to check them out sometime this week. If I use them I will definately add you in the credits.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Here's my notes:

1. Seems to be chasing the heading during CBC burn, yawing and never settling down
  2. Fairing should occur during U/S burn, not CBC burn.

Ii seems to not be able to hold the heading while pitching up or down. I am going to mess with it somemore and see if I cant fix that.

I know Ive seen information that the fairing seperation is during second stage also, but since its in the Delta IV payload planners guide I figured I would change it so the fairing could seperate during either stage.

---------- Post added 11-21-10 at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-20-10 at 06:56 PM ----------

After checking out francisdrake's delta heavy textures, I blended them in and I think it looks realy great, maybe a little more tweaking but it really adds a nice effect. I am sure they will be added in the next release.
Thanks francisdrake, I will be sure to give you credit!

A little more yellowish color will make it look preety close~

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The in-game payload editor does not work for me. It won't accept keystrokes other than the numbers 0-9, which precludes any meshnames or even decimal places. It's not a showstopper as the scenario contains the same lines and is very straightforward to edit, but it is annoying nonetheless.

Also, pressing M to use the editor when there is no lpad loaded in the scenario will cause a CTD, which is annoying when using other launch platforms like Wideawake's GPLP, but again isn't a showstopper as long as there is an lpad somewhere in the scenario.

Other than that, I like this launch vehicle. It has a good mesh and textures (although there is a hole in the mesh when looking up the engine bells from the rear, but that's trivial) and is very convenient to edit. The lack of autopilot is awkward but not terrible; it just takes practice (and it looks like you'll include one in the next release anyway.) Very nice! :thumbup:

virii2k

Reaction score
I have fixed the edit lines to accept charecters other then numbers, I dont know how it got changed but it will be fixed with the next release.
Ill look into the issue of ctd when the launchpad isnt there.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Just for reference, these are the texture parameters I used for the Delta 4HV.
The comments explain which number is for what parameter.
The length of the firetrail was a compromise between realism and having not too many texture objects on the screen, to keep the framerate up.

Code:
	SURFHANDLE tex_contrail  = oapiRegisterExhaustTexture ("D4HV_contrail");
	SURFHANDLE tex_firetrail = oapiRegisterExhaustTexture ("D4HV_firetrail");

// PARTICLESTREAMSPEC typedef struct {
// flags, srcsize, srcrate, v0, srcspread, lifetime, growthrate, atmslowdown, LTYPE, 
// LEVELMAP, lmin, lmax,
// ATMSMAP, amin, amax,
// tex };

PARTICLESTREAMSPEC firetrail = {
	0, 2.2, 30, 150.0, 0.1, 0.3, 8, 0.1, PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::EMISSIVE,
	PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::LVL_PSQRT, 0, 0.05,
	PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::ATM_PLOG, 1e-6, 1,
	tex_firetrail
	};

PARTICLESTREAMSPEC contrail = {
	0, 6, 2, 150.0, 0.1, 1.0, 14, 0.1, PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::EMISSIVE,
	PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::LVL_PSQRT, 0, 0.05,
	PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::ATM_FLAT, 0.1, 0.1,
	tex_contrail
	};

virii2k

Reaction score
Update

Well, its taking longer then expected to work out the bugs in the autopilot, but I am still working on it and hopefully will have it all uploaded in another month or so.

virii2k

Reaction score
Well, Im still working on the autopilot ,its getting close to being finished. I was going to have it where you could select the heading, but I decided to make it so you can select the inclination. I am shooting for the next release to be ready in the next 2 weeks.

virii2k

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5155"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5155[/ame]

Uploaded new version