Update Deepstar development

predattak

Reaction score
Will the mini shuttle have any kind of attitude hold autopilot or we will have to land it the same horrible way like we do with the vanilla DG?

Pioneer

Reaction score
Will the mini shuttle have any kind of attitude hold autopilot or we will have to land it the same horrible way like we do with the vanilla DG?
Yeah that's a good point. Maybe have attitude or hover control autopilot like the ones in the XR2 and XR5? You could probably get the code from dbeachy1 if you asked nicely.

predattak

Reaction score
Yeah, something like xr2 would be ideal.
DG 4 also has a mode that lets you control bank, pitch and AoA XR style but a bit less accurate. Still great compared to standard.

In my opinion these semi autopilots are the best compromise between full automation and you doing something instead of total boredom during reentry. They are also more flexible than fully automated APs because if by some reason an error in the glidepath occurs you can quickly change the attitude and recover instead of shutting down the ap and reconfigure the whole thing.

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Isnt there an attitude hold MFD?

predattak

Reaction score
There is but it's really bad and doesn't work well. For an autopilot to work decent it needs to take into account and use everything trim, control surfaces, RCS, center of gravity and so on. those MFDs only use control surfaces and rcs if i remember correctly and because of that they can't really hold attitude well = death or really really bad flight path with giant s turns and big inaccuracy.

Think of it this way .. if there were good universal attitude hold MFDs Dan and Dbeachy wouldn't have spent tons of time coding new ones.
At least it's how i see it, i may be wrong and if any of you know some good attitude hold MFDs that work at least decent please tell me about them!

Last edited:

Pioneer

Reaction score
There is but it's really bad and doesn't work well. For an autopilot to work decent it needs to take into account and use everything trim, control surfaces, RCS, center of gravity and so on. those MFDs only use control surfaces and rcs if i remember correctly and because of that they can't really hold attitude well = death or really really bad flight path with giant s turns and big inaccuracy.

Think of it this way .. if there were good universal attitude hold MFDs Dan and Dbeachy wouldn't have spend tons of time coding new ones.
At least it's how i see it, i may be wrong and if any of you know some good attitude hold MFDs that work at least decent please tell me about them!
I do believe that there is a decent Hover MFD though, which works well with the regular landers.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
Just to reiterate, this is all sc4.dll based. I just make models :).

I'd like to learn some coding, or maybe use vessel builder in the future, and I'm always open to collaboration with coders. But for now you'll just need to use MFDs which will work with any vessel.

For landing on planets without atmosphere I use BaseLandAutopilot MFD. In recent testing I've had it become unstable at the last moment, but it's no trouble to finish manually.

For atmospheric pad landings I've been using glidescope mfd, then hover braking and using Alt-hold before a manual touchdown.

Look's like Dan is making a VTOL MFD too.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If this vessel is supposed to use bimodal NTR for propulsion, I can maybe provide a simulation model there. I am planning to put a first version on github in Q1/2021.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
If this vessel is supposed to use bimodal NTR for propulsion, I can maybe provide a simulation model there. I am planning to put a first version on github in Q1/2021.

That would be cool.

It seems crazy that it was a year ago today I announced I was working on this new version.

I'd really hoped I might be able to do a xmas day release, but I'm still applying some final touches.

In the meantime here's a picture of roving in Stickney Crater :)

phobos_rover.jpg

Merry xmas!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well...plans. Without 2020 I wouldn't even have thought about taking a look at the NASA paper behind TTM24.

Pioneer

Reaction score
That would be cool.

It seems crazy that it was a year ago today I announced I was working on this new version.

I'd really hoped I might be able to do a xmas day release, but I'm still applying some final touches.

In the meantime here's a picture of roving in Stickney Crater :)

View attachment 23548

Merry xmas!

Merry Christmas! Looking forward to the fully polished product!