New Release D3D9Client Development

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, couldn't see it. How can I tweak the .cfg file to raise up the runway tile?

It's noted in "Doc/OrbiterConfig.pdf" page 16.

The (V)ector for END1 and END2 define the location of the runway end-points (center line).

The coordinates are in local coordinates of the surface base I think.
Note that the y-coordinate is the elevation above ground.

/Kuddel

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I set the texture heights to 10m above the ground, and still couldn't see it. I figure I've got a screwed base configuration in any case.

fort

Reaction score
orb, kuddel,

I wanted to thank you very much now for your messages and I'm looking at what it can bring me to a little work I started there long time ago on nightlights. I'm a little short on time right now to write more but I would this weekend.

Thank you again,

fort

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I set the texture heights to 10m above the ground, and still couldn't see it. I figure I've got a screwed base configuration in any case.
Well I forgot to mention that all the things I've written about RUNWAY
configurations were just from reading the Docs. I did *never* make any attempt to try it ;) So it might not be 100% accurate what I've written.

Maybe someone else (with experience) can say something about this or correct me if I've written nonsense.

/Kuddel

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Only 4 FPS

I have seen all these posts about how this is super cool and super good and what have you. I am using the firefly currently and I switched over to this client because of the hype about it. I am now getting between 2-4 FPS

laptop is crap I know that but still 4 FPS thats crazy when everyone is saying that people are getting 200+ or what ever. And they say the systems are just like mine. Not the best in other words.

Maybe its just me. I'm not smart with this stuff by any means. Maybe I got the config wrong or maybe my system is config'd wrong I don't know

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I remember there have been few (very few) reports of such a lousy performance with this client...They are maybe lost somewhere among these 2700+ D3D9-related posts.
But 99,9% of D3D9 users are more than satisfied with it.

I don't remember the cure (if it exists at all).
One of the not-satisfied user is at FOI - Forum Orbiter Italia. I'll try to ask him when he shows up.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I remember there have been few (very few) reports of such a lousy performance with this client...They are maybe lost somewhere among these 2700+ D3D9-related posts.
But 99,9% of D3D9 users are more than satisfied with it.

I don't remember the cure (if it exists at all).
One of the not-satisfied user is at FOI - Forum Orbiter Italia. I'll try to ask him when he shows up.

I was blown away. People have been helping me with various different things on here and Yah I see all sorts of these posts saying nothing but amazing things thats why I think it may be me or something. cause there is no way if everyone else is saying its perfect then my dumbness is like ya 4fps

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Last edited:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
GDI was un checked from the get go (D3D9)
window XP S3
1 GB of ram
4GB of virtual
intell 945 mobile chip set DIRECT 3D (runs orbiter not bad but nothing great by all means)

Not to sure about the direct X version

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

UPDATE

I tried to install the newest Direct X as sujested and It did tell me that I am fully up to date when it comes to that. I really hope its not my laptop. I have ran games on it before nothing super crazy but like First person shooters etc etc so that would really suck if it is the laptop.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Did you try using something, other than the firefly ?

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
no actually I have not. Didn't think it would matter to much. The firefly is DLL based rather then SC3 so I don't know if that makes any difference or not or how it works really

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
no actually I have not. Didn't think it would matter to much. The firefly is DLL based rather then SC3 so I don't know if that makes any difference or not or how it works really

Framework doesn't really matter (sc3 or dll) until vessel's dll itself performs some heavy calculations. It's more matter of texture sizes and mesh polygon count.

Your GPU is Shader 2.0 compatibile so D3D9 should work relativelly fast. Did you set up it to use this model in Video->Advanced->Shader Set ??. By quick look at your GPU I see it tries to emulate Shader 3.0 with software which will slow you down.

I'm not sure what Firefly you're using - link will help others to evaluate add-on performance impact.

First of all remember that modern web browsers can eat lots of memory - close them befvore orbiting (especially any flash/html5 video).

In BIOS set up maximum possible value for GPU memory

Close any uneeded software running in background (Skype, Messengers, Winamp Agents, resident printer "wizards" etc.)

Make sure your system drive ( C:\ ) is properly defragmented and you have at least 10gig of free space there before defrag (so swapfile can be a continuos file).

If you have single drive divided into partitions, don't run Orbiter from second partition. Run it from C: instead.

In Windows XP turn of your Luna GUI and set it to classic windows (turn off all shadows under windows etc.)

Start with light Orbiter installation:

- Orbiter2010-P1
- D3D9
- Orbiter sound
- Firefly

check performance

Then clone it and add higher res textures. Check performance then.

Try adding add-ons one by one to determine what causes most performance loss.

Beauty of Orbiter lies in its elasticity so problems like that can be solved. I sucessfully ran Orbiter with d3d9 at reasonable 25FPS on Pentium 3 800Mhz, 1GB RAM and old low end GeForce (5000 or 6000 family) with 128MB VRAM and XP SP3

Report back.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Your GPU is Shader 2.0 compatibile so D3D9 should work relativelly fast. Did you set up it to use this model in Video->Advanced->Shader Set ??. By quick look at your GPU I see it tries to emulate Shader 3.0 with software which will slow you down.
According to this post, "heavy stuff" works slower on D3D9Client for Intel GMA 945 than with inline client, and if the D3D9Client was set like I instructed in that thread, it should already use SM 2.0.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I have the shader set from default to 20 as I was told to on the forum. as for the HD. orbiter is installed on the c drive and only one partition on the HD. In my background I generally don't run much. basic system tools. No skype or messenger or anything like that. I hate messengers. My orbiter is a little jammed up with stuff as I have been testing it to try and find the best convo of ship and tools to get ready to fly the ship that is being built for me. I only came to d3d9 cause everyone said it was killer.

windows has been set to best performance so none of the BS things that are stupid nor do i have it set up on the windows for kids theme. Classic all the way.

this is the link to the base firefly.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3198"]Firefly "Jumbo" Transport 2008 Edition[/ame]

this is the link to the update.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2869"]Firefly GreyGoose Update[/ame]

as for the GPU...I have no idea what that is. I assume graphics processing unit. Is there a setting for it in the bios. I dont know.

like i said I do have a rather jammed orbiter but I know the stuff that I want to keep for sure

hoverMFD
RwarpMFD
the firefly

And the ship that i am getting built. All other stuff don't matter much that I have on currently..I am also using the base maker as well but I don't think that would do it.

I hope this answers your questions. If it doesn't work thats ok I can deal with the way I had it but like i said I have heard so many good things I mean how many pages is this now. But my computer is what it is....CRAP

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

UPDATE

so back to basics.

basic orbiter
no added textures except for the planets and bases packs (basic system textures)
firefly greygoose
hoverMFD
RwarpMFD
and the sound

nothing else was installed..no others ships nothing.

installed the D3D9 client. Configured to level 20 shader as instructed here.

firefly on D3D9 4 FPS a little gittery
firefly on stock 10 FPS to start and gets better.

both have been tested from take off to leaving atmo. same conditions for both flights.

so that being said. I am forced to stick with the stock client as I cant seem to have the same joy as everyone else. I don't know what else I can do. Ive removed everything and started fresh and the same result as before I did it. I'm on D9 orbiter verified this upon first start up again. so I don't know.

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
10 FPS is still VERY low, all things considered. 20-30 FPS is preferential.

What's your PC loadout like?

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
10 FPS is still VERY low, all things considered. 20-30 FPS is preferential.

What's your PC loadout like?

I have no idea what that means I just use them. I have gotten stock to get up to 60ish but never the d3d9

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How does the D3D9 client respond with stock vehicles, like the DeltaGlider?

If we knew what your computer's hardware was, it might be a bit easier to diagnose the problem.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I honestly think it is the firefly. I gave for giggles a test of the DG and it seemed to run fine. the FF is a Dll vs SC3 so that could be a issue with my computer well laptop. honestly I just think I am gonna give up. it doesn't like that addon that changes the landscape to something a little more real its called o something. Anyways I had to turn that off to. Its just a bummer thats all. I see everyone loving the HD stuff and my crap box can't handle doing it.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ourlex is the addon that adds landscapes on planets (terrain to be exact). But it is old, and you shouldn't run it with the computer you have.

What version of OrbiterSound do you run?