Cycling / Running - Logs, Stories, & Pictures (any fellow cyclists or runners here?)

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I did my first 6k today (well, 5.89k) in 37:06. I just wanted to meet that goal before I went off to Canada to go skiing for a week.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just managed to run the 4.5 km distance without having to walk at the steeper grades, the training finally shows small successes. And not using the elevator for the 6 levels at work seems to be a nice extra factor.

RAF92_Moser

Reaction score
Man, I am jealous. I definitely need to get out and exercise more. I remember not long ago when I was in high school, I ran the 5K in 17:30 minutes. Came out to something like 5:36 per mile pace.

FADEC

Reaction score

Awesome!

My last ~91 miles ride was a decade ago (as I mentioned earlier I believe). I am still planning the exact same ride again, but not until July/August this year. I wish I had a better bike. But since I am doing the same records right now with a worse bike than year before, I guess I'm in good shape.

For now a 24.7 miles ride will do it next thursday. I'll visit my brother, and I will have some things in my luggage, such as a 17 inch notebook etc. I got a nice new backpack which includes a detachable 17 inch notebook bag.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I decided to join a cycling club in my area. I figured everyone here being into space and all would get a kick out of this. The club is called, Space City Cycling Club. A little history...

Space City Cycling Club was originally founded as the JSC Bicycle Club in 1979 by employees of the Johnson Space Center. It's original purpose was to promote two-wheeled transportation. By 1995, the club had expanded to include cyclists from throughout the Clear Lake area. In recognition of its more community appeal, the name was changed to the Space City Cycling Club.

I rode with them both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. It was a blast! Here is a video from Saturday's ride:

And here is a video from Sunday's "coffee ride" where 4 of us broke away from a group of 10 riders when we started pushing the pace faster. We didn't intend to break away, it just happened before we realized we had dropped everyone:

FADEC

Reaction score
Seems that you are going to become a professional cycling freak, Tex :thumbup:

Well, I returned home from my test route just 20 minutes ago. Today I got my new backpack. My 17 inch notebook fits perfectly into the detachable notebook bag. I packed the backpack full with everything I am going to take along on thursday. It weighs about 8-9 Kg. Including another few Kgs in the pannier bag. I drove 16,4 miles with that baggage today. Wasn't a problem at all. The backpack is padded very nicely / very comfortable, and my average speed did not decrease. I had to pedal just a little more. And I think I should take a shower now :)

The last time I drove with baggage was many years ago. I'm glad to know that I did not lose any stamina. So ergometer training at home might be very effective. I can only hope the weather will be nice on thursday...

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqWkm-s0yw"]Cycling: Downtown Houston - YouTube[/ame]

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/173883279

Here's a reasonably long video covering this Tuesday's Paperclip ride. Yesterday was a good day on the bike for me. I felt strong all day and never got dropped. This video picks up as we're still heading south into the wind. Watch for the guys up front to put the hammer down picking the pace up to 30 mph at 8:30 when we u-turn heading downwind. There were sprint attacks all over the place in the closing parts of the ride. At 17:22 I had worked my way up to second wheel and realized a small group of riders had broke away and were just up the road. I felt like I could catch them, so I stood up and went for it. Of course everyone then caught the next red light, so that ended up being a huge waist of energy.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I've recently taken up cycling on advice of my pulmonologist (I've had mild asthma in childhood, seeing some symptoms again). I never even knew the countryside around here was so beautiful until now. The climbs are killing me though, there's hardly any level ground outside the city.

3k9gC.png

L6iNe.png

Kr0Or.png

wuuHf.jpg

0ou9H.png

Z52nY.jpg

T7dfj.jpg

F5fJR.jpg

Lswon.jpg

rY9CJ.jpg

GGPbV.jpg

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Oh man, what great roads to cycle! I am jealous of that for sure. We have nothing but flats here and lots of cars to share the road with.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Nice pictures! Those mountains remind me of the Missouri Ozarks.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nice pictures! Those mountains remind me of the Missouri Ozarks.

Both Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado), mixed with the Black Hills National Forest (southwest South Dakota) for me.

Those pics are amazing. :)

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Both Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado), mixed with the Black Hills National Forest (southwest South Dakota) for me.

Those pics are amazing. :)
Yeah, the picture overlooking the town kinda reminds me of some views of Estes Park like you find in RMNP. I'm actually planning a trip out there this summer to climb Longs Peak.

The roads do seem a bit like the Black Hills, although nowhere is quite like that place with the pigtails and one lane tunnels.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I've completed a ~60km trip today but had poor GPS reception due to thick woods and overcast clouds. Had an intense cynical realisation when I caught myself feeling sad about not being able to unlock a distance record achievement and brag about it on social networks.

On the other hand, I saw a real cow.
Oh3sq.jpg

By the way, this is my bicycle, I got it used for €150.
EO7uA.jpg

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
That bike is looking nice, that seems like a pretty good deal if I'm guessing the exchange rates right. I got one of mine for free, it's a Schwinn Road Bike from the mid 1980s, I'll post pictures later.

In other news, I'm about to go for a 6 kilometer run, this will be the first time I've done that twice in a week.

I've been trying to keep to 3 days per week running schedule more closely after a recent Doctor visit. I gained about 20 pounds in the past year (partly due to the fact that I stopped taking Methylphenidate). Since I'm still growing, I'm not trying to lose weight but instead keep at the same weight. Another goal I have is to stay in good shape for mountaineering.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I'd say I got a pretty good deal. I don't know much about bicycles, but the gears shift smoothly after some oiling and the brakes are strong enough to maintain grip even when going steeply downhill on gravel roads.

Although, the one thing that the previous owner neglected to inform me of is that this kind of bicycle is apparently considered "male", while "female" bicycles look like the one on the right, with the supporting tube connected in the middle of the aft body:

1977_male_1967_female.jpg

I've gotten some weird looks over this, but nothing compared to the disgraceful act of walking into a grocery store in cycling shorts.