Cycling / Running - Logs, Stories, & Pictures (any fellow cyclists or runners here?)

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Climbing the local bridge again, this time with a sprint to the red light at 35 mph. Speed through the climb was 15 mph and top speed on descent was 38 mph:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That was a mile for me today at the Y in a little over an hour. Comfortable pace, 3.5 mph at varying inclines. Wasn't pushing it hard, and didn't feel like I was ready to try actually jogging it (like I could have when I was still in high school and just as lazy as I am now).

Went for a few laps at the pool though, so I got my upper body workout. Ten minutes in the whirlpool and I feel like a wet noodle. :)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I've done it!

I need some kind of a miracle to finish my first ever half-marathon next Sunday! :shifty: (the time limit's 3 hours)
Thanks to my tight schedule in college, I didn't train as much as I would like, and I believe there's a 50/50 chance that I wouldn't finish it. So.......

I can't believe I've finish it! Despite cramping both feet and calves towards the end of the race, I manage to finish it in just under two and a half hours. :banana:

If I could get my weekly training on track, I will consider trying for the full 42.195 kilometers in 2-3 years.

FADEC

Reaction score
I used to drive a lot for many years. About between 300 and up to 800 km a month at times. I still do, but more often at home on my ergometer, 30 minutes a day, on the highest level @~145 heart rate, which burns about half a pizza :) I also use my bike for shopping. Always. But currently it's not really fun. This morning we had an outdoor temperature of -14°C, and I don't have a cap. At least I wear gloves (would be impossible without). But, damn, my nostril hairs and beard was frozen after one kilometer. I looked like a frozen Jack Sparrow.

Anyway, the other 30 minutes of my daily exercise is a mixture of athletic sports (pushups, situps & a few exercises with my 15kg dumbbell) and yoga. But yoga not the spiritual way. I just do it for my flexibility and I am not too far away from performing a split finally. It feels good, but mostly afterwards. You know, sports also is a little masochism :lol:

By the way: don't ask me why, I don't remember why, but I came across this one recently:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-TASvIxY"]TEDxCopenhagen - Mikael Colville-Andersen - Why We Shouldn't Bike with a Helmet - YouTube[/ame]

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I ran 5km (actually a little bit farther) for the first time on Wednesday, I did it in 28:10. Not great, but not bad at all considering how often I run. Right now pretty much all of my exercise is coming from running and rock climbing. my first climbing competition soon.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I ran 5km (actually a little bit farther) for the first time on Wednesday, I did it in 28:10. Not great, but not bad at all considering how often I run.

Congrats, that's not bad at all! :thumbup:

My PB 5K is just 23m 48s.

my first climbing competition soon.

Good luck!

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I haven't ran for a while because I've been sick/busy for a bit now. I'm not sure if I should start at two miles or jump straight into running 5k again.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
My half-marathon is almost here, just a few weeks away now. Today I ran 12.9 miles at near race pace, finishing in 1h 58m. First time to pass 12 miles and first time to run so far at near race pace. Did better than I thought, so I'm looking to finish the full 13.1 on race day around 2 hours flat, maybe just a little under if I'm lucky.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score

FADEC

Reaction score
I just got home from my standard 22 km trip downtown (including the way back). The total travel time was 1 hour and 5 minutes. The route includes a ~2 km slope which can be quite challenging depending on how fast you want to climb it of course. ~11 mph is enough for me. The headwind really sucked today :beathead:

The route (blue = way back):

xh0xf72gbty.jpg

I don't have a good camera sadly. So I will post a few impressions from Google Streetview...

It starts at home of course:

1d40glb1f9r.jpg

Way there:

2s49kt52y1u.jpg

3oshtqgyuim.jpg

41hn87wp0a5.jpg

5wgsrzj9och.jpg

Way back:

6fx50izvcow.jpg

8mnikax2oly.jpg

7mk6rynao7e.jpg

9pbyfxgjl9h.jpg

And home again:

1097kdxpb8oj.jpg

And this is what I like to enjoy afterwards:

13ibf5ay8cl.jpg

3nc2mdk4wrf.jpg

It's soy milk (macchiato) with banana, tofu and agave syrup :cheers: I'll get another one after my athletic sports this evening :)

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I installed Dashware which let me import data from my GPS on my bike ride to a video I shared recently. Here it is testing Dashware. Note, I don't have cadence or heart rate sensors yet, so those gauges don't do anything in the video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhV-wjF0HvQ"]Cycling: (Dashware Test) Kemah Bridge Sprint - YouTube[/ame]

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Much better camera mount, under the stem now, with some foam padding. Fixed all vibration issues! From today's 45 mile bike ride with Dashware. Cloudy day and GPS in my pocket led to some shifty signal coverage:

FADEC

Reaction score
Meanwhile I have to say: thanks, for this thread. It made me change from ergometer training to real biking again after years :) I'm just back from my 22Km trip. I do it daily again. So now I consider to sell my ergometer...

By the way: how do you mount your camera Tex?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
By the way: how do you mount your camera Tex?

I used tie wraps and some foam, mounting it under the stem. See pics attached below.

Attachments

• DSCN3969.jpg
    DSCN3969.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3970.jpg
    DSCN3970.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 11

FADEC

Reaction score
I used tie wraps and some foam, mounting it under the stem. See pics attached below.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking about, except the foam. Nice solution. Can't wait to record my route sometime in the future :)

By the way: awesome signature :rofl:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Happy to help and I look forward to seeing your route! I enjoy seeing footage from different places. :)

More from yesterday:

FADEC

Reaction score
I'm currently planning an old route to visit old friends which I haven't seen for many years. The last time I took the route was in 2001. So it will be the first time for more than ten years. Luckily these days we have Google Earth. Back then when I was driving it the first time in 1997 I used a road atlas for planning :) But nothing has changed so far in terms of traffic / roads.

The route is 91 miles / 147 Km and it's mostly lowlands except for my home town at the beginning. The last part of the route is just a few hundred meters next to the Dutch border. I hope that cops won't stop me and look for some "weed" :lol: I remember the last time in 2001 there was a large number of police cars and blue lights at 05:00 a.m.

Yes its a night ride. I love to ride at night in the summer. So I'm planning it for late summer this year. And I hope to get a nice camera to record parts of it (my financial situation is not the very best currently). My bike is just a usual trekking bike. So I think it'll take between 6 and 7 hours with one short break inbetween (about 10 minutes to buy water and relax my legs). I remember my average speed on that route was about 16 mph. But it was a different bike though. Let's see...

I wish I had a "premium" racing cycle. Maybe I should get one as soon as money permits.

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I did a 67 mile training ride with a friend today at the same time a charity bike ride was going on. Here's some video with Dashware, the first going over a bridge and hitting 43 mph on the descent: