News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Euromomo data is a bit misleading sometimes - the yellow prediction for the unreported cases does currently not fit well to the real data. The prediction always talks about dropping mortality for the past days, in reality, it keeps on climbing. :(

fort

Reaction score
Don't stand so close to me remix. Preferably between Morden and High Barnet, or on the line 13 terminus Gabriel Péri, or even the AAR.FRBG in the direction of Winchester, Ashuelot, Nashua or Keene ( that maybe no longer exists ) or any other ... Don't stand so close to me.

"We must stick together to fight it," says Harry Billinge, a D-Day veteran last month.
A possible translation in French would be "se serrer les coudes": tighten the elbows. In the sense of "make body", form only one body, elbows to elbows.

And: Kim Jong-un is alive (but I guess he doesn't take public transportation, him)

:blink:

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Mass gatherings are still in limbo although there is a big difference between the footy on a cold July night and a music festival in the middle of January.

I know enough about geography and climate that this shouldn't cause cognitive dissonance, but it does. Every time.

fwd0502

chinese boy,the heir of dragon
Reaction score
Hi my friends!Long time no see,since my acdemic burden is heavy,which has deprived me of time to surf the internet.Corona Virus is a global disaster,it first broke out in my country,and really made my life messed up.People are confned to their homes and most entertainment like shoppingmall,cinemas,ktv etc are closed.Situation in WUHAN was really not good at first,but after three months' hard works,the spreading of virus in my country is controlled and nearly stopped.Peoples' lives tend to recover what it used to be.Workers go back to their works,students go back to scools.However,its really sad to hear that Corona Virus began to spread in your countries,and situation is even worse than my country used to be.I hope sincerely you will defeat Corona Virus eventually,and make your life go on the right track again!

Feel free to discuss with me!All friendly comments are welcomed!

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So most Australian states have now had multiple days in a row with no new cases. We now also have a 15 point plan for the relaxation of restrictions. 11 have been satisfied.

The remaining 4:
  • More PPE (gown & gloves)
  • 2 items relating to policy and resources for detection and managing localised flareups
  • A good percentage take up of the tracking app

It is probable that international travel will remain banned, although travel to NZ can probably happen (I have also heard Singapore mentioned).

Mass gatherings are still in limbo although there is a big difference between the footy on a cold July night and a music festival in the middle of January.

At this point, you all have to act as if everyone's infected for another month. That gives enough time for everyone that was infected but not detected to get over the illness. After that, watch your borders and you're clear.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The results of the Heinsberg study from Germany are now published. Not too many good news, but since Heinsberg was a Superspreader event, it is not too surprising that the infection risk was much higher for those who attended the carnival session.

15.5% of the population there had the virus, 5 times more than in German average. Again, superspreader event. Its likely similar for those people who visited Ischgl. The lethality averages at 0.36% there. That is not too good, but not bad as well.

Still, 0.36% would mean 250,000 deaths in Germany this year until we reach a possible herd immunity, ten times more than a bad influenza season. We should better hope for a vaccine.

https://www.ukbonn.de/C12582D3002FD...on_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf

Maybe also interesting: Only one fifth of all infected people had no symptoms at all (including loss of smell and taste as symptom there) - the older number, that about 80% of the cases might be asymptomatic, does not hold water there.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The German football league (DFL) has published the results of their tests of players and coaching staff. Out of 1700 tested, just 10 infections had been found.

This data might not be published without conflict of interests though, since the clubs represented by that league have a huge interest to start playing again.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Slovenia has had its second straight day with no new confirmed infections. Though our testing rate is very low, at only 500 to 1000 tests conducted per day in a population size of 2 million.

Still, encouraging news. We shut everything down very early and never went through an explosive exponential growth. We just had a very long tail. Now we just have to make sure that it doesn't repeat.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Summary

The worldwide Covid-19 death toll is now above 250,000, according to Johns Hopkins University

Nigeria, India and Israel are among the latest countries to start easing restrictions

New Zealand prime minister discusses "Trans-Tasman travel bubble" with Australian cabinet

Later on Tuesday, the UK is to begin testing a new contact-tracing app on the Isle of Wight

The US records 1,015 virus deaths in 24 hours, the lowest one-day tally in a month
The number includes those who have died with the virus and not necessarily because of it
The US Treasury will borrow a record $3tn (£2.4tn) between April and June

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52539905

Linguofreak

Reaction score
In TX back in the mid 2000s, we were allowed to do a parent-taught driver's ed program that included the parent administering the final road test. It's not as crazy as it sounds: any parent willing to put in the effort to participate in such a program is likely to scrutinize their kid's driving much harder than a DMV examiner will.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
At this point, you all have to act as if everyone's infected for another month. That gives enough time for everyone that was infected but not detected to get over the illness. After that, watch your borders and you're clear.

Testing is ramping up including testing random people. They found one such outbreak over the weekend. I think there is at least 1 more out there.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The German federal government and the responsible state governments have agreed on keeping the social distancing rules in place until 5th of June.

What had been allowed now are also contacts between people of two different households in all of Germany. Also the area limit of maximal 800 square meters for shops to open had been removed, it was nonsense anyway.

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

The UK is now officially the country in the EU with the highest number of reported deaths:

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Schools fully reopening on Monday in Switzerland, many businesses (including restaurants) with some limitations. Many other regulations still in place though. Sports may only be conducted if safety distance can be guaranteed and there is no physical contact.

Which kinda sucks. My prefered sport happens to be full-contact, but there isn't an inch of exposed skin, but that possiblity was not considered... :huh:

Still, looking forward to putting the kids back to school. *Somebody* might die if this went on for much longer, though not of the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.