News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
In response to protestors in Michigan state.

This hospital worker who couldn't get to work today sums up my feelings about these people gridlocking the roads (47 seconds into the video is the main part):

[ame="https://youtu.be/1t-GzuZukQs"]https://youtu.be/1t-GzuZukQs[/ame]

These people "protesting" by deliberately clogging up the roads in a public health emergency are endangering other people's lives: other people who did not choose to buy into this stupidity and blatant disregard for their fellow human beings.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Quoting from nbcnews.com:

More information in the full article here.

There is also this:

The climate scientists are going to be busy with this data for the next several years. It's the closest thing to a step-change in human activity that might go a long way to validating climate models. It's going to be fascinating.

I'm wondering if Mauna Loa observatory will see this is their CO2 data?

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

It is chilling to see how deserted Boston is right now.

In 10-20 years people will see these sorts of videos and won't believe it happened.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Summary
Wuhan, where the virus emerged, revises its death toll up by 1,290 to 3,869 - an increase of 50%

Chinese foreign ministry says statistics have been reviewed and denies any cover-up

Meanwhile, Chinese economy shrinks for first time in decades due to virus impact

French President Emmanuel Macron joins those questioning China's handling of the outbreak

In the UK, shortages of protective equipment for health workers continue to be reported

The US, with more than 32,000 deaths, announces plans to start opening up its economy again

There have now been more than 2.15 million confirmed cases worldwide and 145,000 deaths

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52319956

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I read that these tracing solutions will mark google searches for symptoms as a positive ;) At least for the Google/Apple operating system solution that seems to be true.

Other studies (European Commission ?) indicate that governments would give cell phone companies a list of infected, and that would power the apps.

Of course, we know from history how lists start, and how the end...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

Very disturbing developments...

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org

mythbusters-31.tmb-1920v.png

I'm no UV expert, but I find at least strange that this happens even with these authoritative sources.
Does UV light work or what?

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Shot answer: Yes, UV kills the coronavirus. but also damages your skin in the same way the Sun damages your skin but in larger doses.

Long Answer: All materials get damaged/changed by exposure to any frequency of light, it is a matter of time, intensity and the materials involved. UV light will kill most viruses but the same exposure will also damage the DNA in skin cells leading to other medical conditions over time.

Using UV as part of a process to sterilize equipment is fine, but using it on your body is just going to cause problems.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Using UV as part of a process to sterilize equipment is fine, but using it on your body is just going to cause problems.

I was wondering if UV light could be used to break down viral matter in the workplace after closing for the night. :hmm:

In other news: We must have been quite successful in the combat against the virus, because the authorities have stopped reporting on recoveries. We haven't had a single new case in over a week, and the number of infected patients has been dropping fast. We were down to a total of 18 cases on April 14'th, and then the daily updates just stopped.

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone is trying to extend the restrictions by hiding data instead of using arguments. Not a good way to win people over to your side IMHO.

The chair of the (advisory) national health board was on the radio today and practically nuked any sport and tourism for the rest of the year. It will be interesting to see how people will react, but I fear it will split the population further into two entrenched camps.

richfororbit

Reaction score
What the liberty people and who ever is against this because of the long term economic impact. Ron Paul mentions the long term problem with keeping societies the way the have been for the past number of weeks as going to cause more serious cases that aren't yet seen.

It is a terrible situation. I haven't yet checked to see the liberty report channel.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What the liberty people and who ever is against this because of the long term economic impact. Ron Paul mentions the long term problem with keeping societies the way the have been for the past number of weeks as going to cause more serious cases that aren't yet seen.

No economic profit can bring the dead back to life.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No economic profit can bring the dead back to life.

Is there any amount of economic losses that would justify loss of life?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is there any amount of economic losses that would justify loss of life?

Not in my moral system. Maybe others think that loss of life is just an economic aspect more.

But who has the right to choose, who may die and who not? Shall only the poor people die?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In other news: We must have been quite successful in the combat against the virus, because the authorities have stopped reporting on recoveries. We haven't had a single new case in over a week, and the number of infected patients has been dropping fast. We were down to a total of 18 cases on April 14'th, and then the daily updates just stopped.

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone is trying to extend the restrictions by hiding data instead of using arguments. Not a good way to win people over to your side IMHO.

I wonder if someone local is lurking on this forum. :lol:

The data has been updated. It was probably some issues in collecting the data. In small cohorts any error can skew the results quite badly.

We're now down to 11 active cases.
https://corona.fo/statistics?_l=en

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Not in my moral system. Maybe others think that loss of life is just an economic aspect more.

But who has the right to choose, who may die and who not? Shall only the poor people die?

How does motorized transportation fit into your moral system?

Humans are fallible, and the cost of freedom is risc. IMHO a 100% would be dehumanizing.

The problem is judging when your right to safety infringes too much on another person's liberty. I bet all societies have had that discussion for millenia, and I don't expect we'll reach consensus anytime soon.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How does motorized transportation fit into your moral system?

Not very good, while the very detailled German drivers licence only tests the technical ability to drive, the mental ability to understand the responsibility of transfering many Megajoules of chemical energy into a projectile of more than a ton mass is never a question.

I know a few who even passed a third psychological examination despite being caught by the police three times threatening the lifes of others with a very risky way of driving, while also being intoxicated with legal drugs.

While I can't fully support violence is tool of teaching, it worked great when a tractor driver was again driving too fast with two trailers and the frontloader down...only a week after he killed a boy from the village that way. He got pulled from the tractor GTA style, when the others in the village saw it.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...And now I wonder which kind of treatment was reserved for the tractor driver...

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not very good, while the very detailled German drivers licence only tests the technical ability to drive, the mental ability to understand the responsibility of transfering many Megajoules of chemical energy into a projectile of more than a ton mass is never a question.

If people knew how many ways 3x400V electrical power can hurt you, they would be more careful in their daily life. And we can go on forever like that.

I'm not that interested in "corner cases", but safety is similar to comfort temperature. If you can get 40% of people to agree on the correct level, it's perfect! You will never get above 40% ... Ever! ... Unless you use tyranny.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Things are a bit better in France those last days, the "first wave" seems more or less under control. The situation is still critical in nursing houses, because very old people can't be admitted in intensive care (well, technically it is possible, but the prognosis is very poor).

The CVN Charles de Gaulle is back to her homeport in Toulon. More than 1,000 sailors are infected on a crew of 1,600. The navy is being highly criticized.

And here in Morocco King Mohammed VI ordered to extend the curfew to the 20th of May as the count of infected people is rising. The Ramadan celebrations will begin soon, and it will probably be difficult to prevent people from gathering and celebrating. Marocco is quite in trouble given that the economy relies on mass tourism.

Status
Not open for further replies.