News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Their parents and grandparents that they live with on the other hand... :facepalm:

MIT did a study of the COVID-19 virus load found in the Boston sewage system and inferred an infected population of approximately 115,000 for a system that serves about 2.3 million. There are only 650 confirmed tested cases for that same region.
Also, I think schools have these adults who work in them. I can't remember what they call them... teachers, maybe?

So Ron DeSantis says, "Educators are disposable in Florida." COVID-19 is a sickness. The GOP is a cancer.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
TL;DR: "The reason for the discrepancy is not yet clear, and until further experiments are complete, these data do not necessarily indicate that clinical estimates are incorrect."

So let's not fall into the hands of a much more lethal disease called optimism.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
TL;DR: "The reason for the discrepancy is not yet clear, and until further experiments are complete, these data do not necessarily indicate that clinical estimates are incorrect."

So let's not fall into the hands of a much more lethal disease called optimism.

Optimistic about what? They are presenting information about the prevalence of the disease in the population possibly being higher than that captured by testing. It's neither optimistic or pessimistic - it addresses the need to determine the prevalence of this disease by a different means.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Optimistic about what? They are presenting information about the prevalence of the disease in the population possibly being higher than that captured by testing. It's neither optimistic or pessimistic - it addresses the need to determine the prevalence of this disease by a different means.

Still, it could be wrong. Remember the early research, that the virus survives very long on certain surfaces? The detection method actually caused this, it was impossible to infect cells with the material found on the surfaces, it was just particles of a virus, but no complete virus.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Also, I think schools have these adults who work in them. I can't remember what they call them... teachers, maybe?

So Ron DeSantis says, "Educators are disposable in Florida." COVID-19 is a sickness. The GOP is a cancer.

The following doesn't apply to DeSantis, who is 40, but the attitude of a fair portion of the older conservative population is "I've enjoyed my life, I'm not afraid to die, so why screw things up for the young folks to keep me alive?"

Of course, filial piety is also one of the traditional virtues, so even if the old folks are raring to exit stage left, it's not entirely a conservative thing to do for the younger folk to push them, and not *all* of the older folks will want to exit, so it isn't great for the older folks that are fine with the prospect to pull them, either (c.f. Dan Patrick here in TX, age 70, who has said some things that are rather ghastly, and would be downright monstrous if he were much younger).

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Still, it could be wrong. Remember the early research, that the virus survives very long on certain surfaces? The detection method actually caused this, it was impossible to infect cells with the material found on the surfaces, it was just particles of a virus, but no complete virus.

Agreed, but they are pretty forthright about that. It's an interesting idea though. In-line monitoring of a sewer system for viral load could be a useful proxy measurement for the temporal status of a disease in a large population. Individual testing is rarely going to be comprehensive enough in time or space resolution to capture how endemic a disease is in large populations.

richfororbit

Reaction score
The figures so far, are quite high, there are a number of recoveries from this virus.

It is a big possibility that stability will be achieved by october. Some experts have said up to a year, until the current situation changes. I thought five months when the lock down began, and that wasn't based of numbers or academic study or anything like, just the knock on effect, debt, and all the rest of it.

I guess the governments will continue to pay wages until perhaps october.

Screamer7

Reaction score

Very interesting. My biggest concern was to catch the virus from contaminated surfaces. So airborne particles are still the biggest source of catching the virus. Like somebody is couching or sneezing?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Remember the early research, that the virus survives very long on certain surfaces? The detection method actually caused this, it was impossible to infect cells with the material found on the surfaces, it was just particles of a virus, but no complete virus.

Can I have sauce with that? Most FAQs I can find still suggest to disinfect frequently touched metallic surfaces.

fort

Reaction score
Can I have sauce with that? Most FAQs I can find still suggest to disinfect frequently touched metallic surfaces.

By the fact and for all that I have read, and I have read a lot, nobody really knows what to think about all this, in terms of duration, and in terms of contagiousness. Duration: from a few hours to two to three days, depending on the materials, but the few studies produced did not use the same experimental conditions. Contagiousness: we should say "virality" and almost "viral quantity" (... of virus). So yes, as Urwumpe says, rather fragments of virus, like those found by those who had tried to detect it in the air *. Notion of: "viable virus".

But a little alcohol or bleach on surfaces like taps, door handles (all doors), switches, it can be useful.

* https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1.full.pdf

and

* https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v2

Ah and, another subject:
https://www.skylinewebcams.com/

Good day

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Contagiousness: we should say "virality" and almost "viral quantity" (... of virus).

Yes, nobody knows the amount needed to get you infected.

So far it seems that you reach the needed amount faster on surfaces through touching.
Some surfaces are touched by many people repeatedly, and you touch you face/mouth all the time without noticing.

Through air it will be a random spread, so unless you are in a place full of infected people coughing all the time, the load should be lower.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Summary
A further 737 people have died with coronavirus in UK hospitals, taking the total recorded death toll to 10,612
Health Secretary Matt Hancock calls it a sombre day and says future of virus is unknowable
UK PM Boris Johnson is discharged from hospital after being in intensive care with Covid-19
Christians are celebrating Easter, despite lockdowns that have left hundreds of millions confined to their homes
Pope Francis broadcasts Easter Sunday Mass online from empty St Peter's Basilica
Italy records its lowest daily death toll in more than three weeks
Some 1.8 million cases have been confirmed globally, according to Johns Hopkins University
More than 112,000 people have died while 415,000 have recovered

PM BJ is out of hospital. Unless he is a very good actor he seems to be a bit humbled and grateful to be here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52259683

fort

Reaction score
Boris Johnson. As we say for a boxing fight: can be a little "sounded" ? And part of the world with him. And the economy as much. Next ? India? Africa, but which one? It seems here that things are calming and that the progression of the Covid has slowed down for a few days. Around 100,000 confirmed cases (severe cases diagnosed in hospitals) but many others, less serious, untested, and around 15,000 people died (hospitals, retirement homes). It is likely that full containment will be extended from 15 days to a month from Monday. But: it seems that the disease has currently affected only 10 to 15% of the population. And for the moment we have only few screening tests, few seropositivity tests (detecting antibodies / anticorps), few masks beyond hospital needs. Therefore a return to the "open air" will take time. The decompression chamber is not ready.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
The decompression chamber is not ready.

Public perception can change in a day.
When the public became aware and scared, politicians closed everything the next day. The threshold was different for each country, but the change was overnight.

The reverse will be true.
When the public thinks "let's move on", and accepts nn deaths per day as normal, politicians will follow. Again, it will be overnight.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Public perception can change in a day.
When the public became aware and scared, politicians closed everything the next day. The threshold was different for each country, but the change was overnight.

Not really overnight here, unless you think Germans consider a period of four weeks "overnight"

Even for my employer it took us effectively three weeks of transition from the first health recommendations to the current state of 80% of the employees working from home.

fort

Reaction score
Public perception ...

I keep a little astonishment as to the speed with which, here, the idea and the putting into practice of containment was accepted. It seems to me that it was the people themselves who were more persuaded of this than anyone's speech to that effect.

How will we look at this in ten months, in two years ?

On the other hand, when I see how the shops were invaded from the first day - but curiously still the shelves of toilet paper robbed - I can believe that in the minds of some people, things, far from being looked at with reason and pragmatism, should be seen as a remake of the war years. It is true that this is the very word that the President had just used. But from there to understand it thus ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.