News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Its having quite an effect on the Stock Markets.
Oil and power companies are about 20% down today.

Not just because of that Virus, but also because Russia is having some beef with the USA and Saudi-Arabia about the production rates in the OPEC. Saudi-Arabia wanted to reduce the oil production to keep the prices up, Russia refuses, so Saudi-Arabia is now flooding the market with more cheaper oil, for making Russian oil less profitable and make Russia agree to a mutual reduction to make production profitable again.

Of course, assuming that Russia does blink first and not lets Saudi-Arabia drain its already limited reserves....

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Our PM has just spoken on all national TV channels:

"Red Zone" concept extended to the whole national territory (!);
no movements allowed, except due to "good reasons" (work, medical emergencies, food shopping, etc.)
all schools and universities (already closed) will stay closed until the 3rd of April;
all gatherings prohibited;
gyms, swimming pools, skiing tracks, all closed;
restaurants and bars closed (from 18 p.m.);
major football league championship halted.

That's some major :censored: happening.

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The number of verified cases is so high compared to other countries since they swabed way more people (tens of thousands) in Italy.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
The number of verified cases is so high compared to other countries since they swabed way more people (tens of thousands) in Italy.

That's interesting information.

The U.S. has tested relatively few people and individual states did not begin testing until a few days ago.
And many of the first tests were invalid.

Only 50-60 people had been tested in my state of 7 million as of yesterday.

Today, a case has been confirmed in my county.

I am still traveling to the UK next week, but I honestly expect that the chance of exposure in travelling may not even exceed the chance if I stayed in my home city.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Everywhere the coronavirus has spread, it's growth has matched the logistic curve very well.

Not just that, it's still very much in the exponential part of the curve.
An almost perfect fit.

Despite all factors of increased testing and increased precautions, it's exponential.

Extrapolate to one million confirmed cases in a few weeks if we don't reach the "knee" in the curve.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I think we are being prepared for a similar restriction to travel as Italy. PM BJ is keeping a low profile and appearing with the Chief Scientist and Chief M.O.

Talk of playing all football(Soccer) in closed stadium. Just mentioned stopping all horse-racing events. That's big business here.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Makes sense that they try to slow it down a bit, not to have the hospitals rushed with severe cases on a single day.
So restrictions are understandable, if you start to have symptoms you are better at home comfortable than working somewhere (and infecting others fast).

In my country it's still very contained but I can see that they have restrictive measures prepared and are expecting much more cases.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I think we are being prepared for a similar restriction to travel as Italy. PM BJ is keeping a low profile and appearing with the Chief Scientist and Chief M.O.

Talk of playing all football(Soccer) in closed stadium. Just mentioned stopping all horse-racing events. That's big business here.

Serie A (and I assume lower leagues as well, though I'm not positive on that) have stopped all matches, after the last few were allowed to happen but without any spectators: the last time such matches didn't happen was during the war.

On a more personal note, today I had a long-scheduled appointment to request my passport, and after confirming that this would be the case today I went to the Questura in Como and the passport office was almost completely deserted and you could smell that it had been disinfected recently.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
There is a strange conversation going on about the Government forcing SKY and BT(who own various TV rights to football) to show matches for free.
To avoid riots in the street and people gathering in pubs to watch games there.

Not interested in footie, so don't know why its an issue. Will be for the clubs of course, they'll lose gate money.

Nobody died through a lack of football?

Quarantine help notes:

British Airways has cancelled all flights to and from Italy, 60 per day.
EasyJet too now.
Foreign Office is saying only travel to Italy if essential.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I went to the Questura in Como and the passport office was almost completely deserted and you could smell that it had been disinfected recently.

But aren't you guys on lockdown ? So how was that office open ?
Just trying to balance what I see on the news with your report from the ground :hello:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The state government of Bavaria has now banned all public events with more than 1000 visitors. Includes football matches.

Other states will likely follow.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Spain's top 2 leagues will be played behind closed doors for the next two weeks. As well as Barcelona's Champions League match with Napoli. According to the BBC.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
But aren't you guys on lockdown ? So how was that office open ?
Just trying to balance what I see on the news with your report from the ground :hello:

Technical it is not a lockdown. People CAN go to work or go to doctors/hospitals or go to buy food. Shops and commercial activities can stay open, if and only if they limit the number of people inside together and they provide an organization that allows people to stay at at least 1 meter one from each other. Some are going out anyway also to have a walk, given that they comply with the distance. But the point is simple: stay home as much as you can... i am behind closed doors with my wife and our 2 daughters since around 10 days. It s hard, but it s the only effective way.
The news of today is that for our area (lombardia) the governor is asking to the central government for a complete lockdown for 2 weeks, meaning cosing everything apart from supermarkets hospitals and chemistries. I personally agree with this because it will finally give a quite certain time frame to.the emergency. What i am worried is that we are a bit ahead chronologically in this, so if we adopt hard measures we will likely get out of the emergency before others, but then the risk is that the emergency spreads over the others and we will have to keep the measures in order not to fall in the crisis again... that woudl be hard: i can do 2 weeks at home, i can do 1 month at home. But if it becomes 3 or 4 months it will become difficult. Today anyway milan is a ghost city, and i am pretty happy about it. The more ghost it is the more likely numbers will get better

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ryanair is also shutting down all flights. Domestic have already been cancelled and from midnight Friday 13 all international flights to/from Italy are also cancelled. Better late than never!
As Fred said The governor of our region (Lombardy) has asked for a total shutdown of shops and public transport/offices; let’s see what the central government will say about it.
I have many foreign colleagues who are now likely to be stuck here for weeks and away from their families; I am so sorry for them but I think these measures are necessary. Our epidemiologists have been asking for this for many days

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Fred & Wolf, thanks for the updates.
Hope all goes well for you and your families.

Here football games will be behind closed doors this weekend. Government considering full closure of all schools. Number of cases is 41.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wolfsburg has now adopted the recommandations of the state of lower saxony regarding public events, naming a number of no-go criteria that the organisators of the event should consider themselves. When more than 200 people attend the event and even just people of an endangered group (old people, heart diseases) could attend it, it should be cancelled, also if people from outside Germany or people from an infected region visit it.

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

The football match between the national teams of Germany and Italy in Nuremburg will take place without spectators

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This sounds like quite soft measures. 200 people is a huge number; even 20 would be quite hazardous. I really hope they know what they are doing..

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This sounds like quite soft measures. 200 people is a huge number; even 20 would be quite hazardous. I really hope they know what they are doing..

They try to ride the red line I think - on one hand convince the people to play safe, on the other try to be as restrictive as possible without having to pay compensation. Right now, the people who order events banned are also responsible for paying the compensation to the organisators. There is no law yet that handles that and no attempts by the federal government to take that responsibility.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

And the next one - the German ice hockey season has been terminated early before the play-offs, there will be no German champion this year.

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

The match between Union Berlin and Bayern Munich will take place next Saturday, because the football club Union Berlin wants it to take place and the health agency of Berlin-Treptow does not want to ban it.

That is one factor in Germany - we are highly federalistic, which means, decisions are often done locally. This is often an advantage, especially in catastrophic events. But also means that in complex situations before the catastrophe, egoism often wins.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
he Bank of England has announced an emergency cut in interest rates to shore up the economy amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Policymakers reduced rates from 0.75% to 0.25%, taking borrowing costs back down to the lowest level in history.
The Bank said it would also free up billions of pounds of extra lending power to help banks support firms.
It comes as the chancellor is expected to announce further measures to support growth and jobs in the Budget later.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51831004

Didn't see that coming, presume he's told the Chancellor?

Status
Not open for further replies.