News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, that is strange. Its a big event, but no bigger than many football matches or pop concerts?

Exactly - also it is in May.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Is it the notion that folk might congregate to watch it? The UK has an oddly standoffish attitude towards Eurovision, so it's hard to contemplate here, but... well?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Old enough to remember when it was quite an event on television(monochrome), sort of a European variety show. Technology wasn't what it is today it was quite an achievement linking all those national broadcasters together live.
Went on a bit, so usually sent to bed and missed the result.
Tragic.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
People really go nuts here. The next case is still miles away in Uetze (about 50 km) and its a single person right now.

But guess what: Toilet Paper has become a rarity. (Exactly the thing I have forgotten to buy twice now since returning to Wolfsburg)

I have no idea why people need so much toilet paper when they :censored: in their pants. Diapers would be a better choice.
You have this problem too. We are in a feedback loop at the moment with a lot of people stocking up. The factory has even ramped up production.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Technology wasn't what it is today it was quite an achievement linking all those national broadcasters together live.

Yeah, especially also many different technologies - the EBU started long before even the EC.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed.
Most were PAL, France of course developed its own system SECAM.

System Essentially Contraire to the American Method.

Also the USSR before they fell out with the French, though they may be back in.

History of television isn't my thing, I think NTSC was only used in North America and Japan and their colonies?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Interesting. I thought PAL and SECAM were similar and or compatible, since TVs over here offered "PAL/SECAM" and "NTSC" tuning.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Your tellies must have had multiple-standard tuners. Were they made for export and had the relevant tuners fitted for each countries standard?

PAL was 625 lines, NTSC was 525 and SECAM 819? from memory. Field rate was the mains frequency for each nation.

PAL and NTSC had the colour information amplitude modulated on the luminance signal.(simplified explanation. It was a suppressed-carrier modulation system, had to be compatible with the monochrome sets in use.)
Secam was clever and frequency modulated the colour signal. I can't remember the advantage of this. 800+ lines was higher resolution of course.

We had a big box made by Rhode and Swartz? that could handle standards conversion between the three when making overseas sales dubs.

Managed to keep out of that area, PAL was complicated enough.

Re. your original question.
The 525/625 and 50/60Hz are close enough that the tv time-bases could switch between these. Just remembered we had some Sony monitors that could handle that.
The 819/60 Hz, not sure. I think there were dedicated monitors for that.

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
COVID-19 put the nail in the coffin for Flybe, who was responsible for some flights I was taking later this month for a family vacation in the UK...
Losing that money and having to come up with a new itinerary.

Meanwhile my job is requiring (self)-quarantine of anyone coming from China, Japan, South Korea, Italy, or I think also Singapore.
Hoping they don't add too many more countries while I'm away.
But the spread for countries other than China has been consistently exponential so far, which would extrapolate to maybe a million cases by the end of the month.
I feel like at some point soon they should stop worrying about travelers because it will have hit every state in the U.S.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
PAL and NTSC had the colour information amplitude modulated on the luminance signal.(simplified explanation. It was a suppressed-carrier modulation system, had to be compatible with the monochrome sets in use.)
Secam was clever and frequency modulated the colour signal. I can't remember the advantage of this. 800+ lines was higher resolution of course.

I think NTSC was doing the color information different since the acronym meant "never the same color" because of its sensitivity to environment factors. In PAL, they swapped the color channels and inverted one, so the environment only affects saturation, not tone. Also, the previous line of the TV image was used to correct such errors in the following line in PAL .

But both NTSC and PAL used QAM to modulate the color information on the luminance channel at the same time. SECAM needed a higher number of lines on the other hand because the two dimensions of the color could not be modulated on the same signal by frequency, so they alternated lines transmitting either color tone and color saturation.

Actually the solution of SECAM wasn't that clever, because it made TV sets more complex and expensive at pre-digital times. But it protected the French electronics industry from foreign competition without violating EC regulations. SECAM = Système élégant contre l’Amérique :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
PAL was developed from NTSC, and designed to minimise the problem with multi-path reflections at the aerial that caused hue changes in the picture.
As you say it transformed a hue change to a saturation change that was less disturbing.

SECAM was technically clever, but I'm told it was a nightmare in any signal processing area. I was also told that some tv channels used PAL in their studios and converted to SECAM at the transmitter. May be apocryphal?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
SECAM was technically clever, but I'm told it was a nightmare in any signal processing area. I was also told that some tv channels used PAL in their studios and converted to SECAM at the transmitter. May be apocryphal?

Sure possible - while different modulation standards, they are based on a very similar monochrome standard. Many modern PAL TV sets also work fine with east european SECAM.

Its harder with NTSC - this uses almost the same modulation standard as PAL, but has a different monochrome format. The old solution for converting this must have been like what they did with the Apollo program TV images: Filming them off a special display with a NTSC camera to convert the image formats.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Sorry for the OT ;)

quite an achievement linking all those national broadcasters together live

Indeed. In the early days Portugal got the Eurovision signal through Spanish transmitters. I guess it came from France like that (point to point), all the way back to the organizing country. No satellites used!

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

PAL was 625 lines, NTSC was 525 and SECAM 819? from memory. Field rate was the mains frequency for each nation.

The 819 "high definition" was only used for black and white transmissions.

You can use PAL or NTSC with 625 or 525 lines, and with 50 or 60fps.
For example, Brazil used PAL-M.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
No satellites till Telstar I think? The UK site was at Goonhilly down in the West of UK.
Quite fun watching it arrive over the horizon and have its twenty minutes of fun and disappear!

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Maybe we should take the PAL / NTSC / SECAM discussion to another thread, folks, and keep this one on track?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, though I think its run its course!.

Health Minister says the government is working with supermarkets to keep the shelves stocked.
I think I'll go out and do some panic-buying.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

Health Minister says the government is working with supermarkets to keep the shelves stocked.

There's no pot noodles or rice left, apparently.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Too Late!

Down to my last Curly-Wurly.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

When I arrived at work, every corner inside the building was plastered with two posters of the German ministry of Health, reminding us in German and English about the safety rules:

"Who coughs gets shot."

:j/k:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Seems a bit harsh?

Status
Not open for further replies.