News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Another relevant xkcd

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Sigh.
The spidery one is a bacteriophage.
They are good guys.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Friendly fire, happens in all conflicts unfortunately...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They are good guys.

Yes, but one big research problem for using them as replacement for antibiotics is the short lifetime of them inside the human body because of the very rapid immune system reaction to them.

The comic isn't wrong there.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Strangely, even though the Romans got here some 2000 years ago, there is no history of Pasta. I guess they couldn't get the flour?

The northern frontier of a mighty empire that once covered the known world.
For around three centuries, Hadrian’s Wall was a vibrant, multi-cultured frontier sprawling almost 80 miles coast-to-coast. Built by a force of 15,000 men in under six years, it’s as astounding today for its sheer vision as it is for its engineering. Milecastles, barracks, ramparts and forts punctuate a diverse landscape that provides a dramatic backdrop.
Explore bath houses, turrets and shrines, visit galleries and museums and watch live excavations uncover fresh details of ancient Roman Britain before your eyes. However you discover it, Hadrian’s Wall is a unique, must-see monument and a remarkable place to experience.

https://hadrianswallcountry.co.uk/

https://hadrianswallcountry.co.uk/visit/housesteads-roman-fort-museum

What did the Romans ever do for us?

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Summary
Trump on social distancing rules: "Challenging times are ahead for the next 30 days."
US death toll - 3,415 - now larger than China's
US Navy captain pleads for help over outbreak on aircraft carrier
A 13-year-old boy has died in the UK after contracting Covid-19
Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, from Brixton in south London, died in hospital early on Monday
American Airlines, one of the world's richest carriers, to apply for $12bn (£9.7bn) in government aid
Global cases more than 800,000, with 38,000 dead; 170,000 have recovered
Spain records highest number of fatalities in a single day - 849

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52101615

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Doc here breaks it down Barney style for us. A few language bombs here and there, but the best explanation I've heard so far.

[ame]http://youtu.be/4J0d59dd-qM[/ame]

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning I have to go to work as medical transportation driver. Driving non-emergency patients to/from offices for things like therapy, CT scans and surgical repairs. Apparently operating on joints is considered essential in Chicago.

I drive the company Kia Forte. No masks or anything from them. Luckily I have a box of gloves and I have a cloth mask. No idea if it actually offers protection or not.

I figure I'll catch it eventually, probably sooner than later.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Luckily I have a box of gloves and I have a cloth mask. No idea if it actually offers protection or not.

Gloves: Only a minimal protection, as long as you don't touch your face with them.

Mask: Only good if you can change the mask every hour or so. Once it is wet from your breath, it is no longer a protection.

I figure I'll catch it eventually, probably sooner than later.

Same here. I just prefer later, because the more is known about the disease and how to treat it, the better my chances to survive it...

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'd say it was in bad taste, but it probably isn't!

fort

Reaction score
Meanwhile in Portugal,

Amália Rodrigues - Coimbra
Renowned in France and possibly in Portugal: April in Portugal. Here we are.

Renomado na França e possivelmente em Portugal: abril em Portugal. Nós estamos lá.

:tiphat:

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys, for those who knows something about this i have a question relvant to masks: we are running short of them here at home and it s basically impossible to find new ones in like less than 2 months. Maybe some basic surgery ones but we all know that they don t protect you very much. We have some ffp2, but as said we will be out of them.
Now i have a 3d printer, or at least amazon says that it s arriving sometime next week and i gave a thought about producing the masks for the family at home, since it seems like it s a new fashion to do something like that around here. The issue is the filter. Everybody produingly announce to have a wonderful stl file for a new fantastic mask, but in the end no one explains how to make the filter or what material could be really efficient.
Around the net i found that the swiffer (the dust collector) material and oven paper could be somewhat effective, but to be honest i have so little trust of this kind of things found around in the net.
If i were to produce a filter with the swiffer cloth and with the oven paper i would probably use many layers of them compressed. Basically the paper would make some kind of barrier and the swiffer uses its electrostatic power to grab particles, like many normal masks do.
As said i am not really the do it yourself guy instead of using certified products, but there is no availability of certified products at all so i need to find a way... does anybody know if this could work or have ideas or reference material which i can refer to?

Thank you in advance guys

Fred

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Coffee filters work perfect, as I was told.

Status
Not open for further replies.