News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have 2 daughters, 2 and 1 years old. They were both starting to enjoy activities like ice-skating, music courses

Wow... that's two very talented kids you have there if they can participate in those activities at that age!

We'll see how it goes here... School just got cancelled for the next 2 weeks, so we'll find out. It's only shortly after vacation, and only shortly before the next. I expect the shutdown to continue until easter vacation if the situation doesn't get better, which would mean they'll be at home for almost 2 months straight.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Ardoin said several polling locations are located in nursing homes.

Really?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Don't be surprised if Portugal surpasses Italy in the next 2 weeks: factories where infected people are being discovered are still open with hundreds still working, and very very few are being tested. Supplies for testing pacients are very low (3000 tests went missing in a French airport).
There are 112 confirmed infected, but over 1300 "suspected infections" and over 5600 "under watch". Even if only half of these are infected, and still walking around... :picard-facepalm:

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
They just shut down the schools here in Wisconsin.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Europe is now the "epicentre" of the global coronavirus pandemic, the head of the World Health Organization says.
Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged countries to use aggressive measures, community mobilisation and social distancing to save lives.
"Do not just let this fire burn," he said.
His comments came as several European countries reported steep rises in infections and deaths. Italy has recorded its highest daily toll yet.
There were 250 deaths recorded over the past 24 hours, taking the total to 1,266, with 17,660 infections overall.
Spain, the worst-affected European country after Italy, reported a 50% jump in fatalities to 120 on Friday. Infections increased to 4,231.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51876784

Meanwhile, at least 10 other countries in Europe are enforcing border closures, including:
Denmark: Closes borders to foreign visitors from Saturday
Czech Republic: Bans all foreigners from entering the country, except those with residence permits. Bans most of its own nationals from leaving
Slovakia: Closes borders to all foreigners except those with a residence permit.
Austria: Closes three land border crossings with Italy to all foreigners, except those with a medical certificate issued within four days. No restriction on Austrian nationals
Ukraine: Closes border crossings to foreigners (except diplomats) for two weeks
Hungary: Closes land borders with Austria and Slovenia
Poland: From Sunday will close borders to foreign visitors

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Well, my college just sent all of the students home and we have a week to figure out how to deliver online instruction. It will be fascinating to see if Blackboard can actually handle every college simultaneously transitioning to online instruction.

I'm reasonably well prepared to do this and briefed all of my students, so it's now in IT's court. I'm rather disheartened as I really like teaching in person. I got into teaching to interact with people.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
From 1C Game Studios.

A MESSAGE FROM THE STURMOVIK TEAM
Dear Friends,
As you already know the world is dealing with a health emergency and viral pandemic that we haven't seen in a hundred years or so. It will likely reach every part of the world eventually. We hope none of you catch it and if you do, we hope you have a fast and full recovery. Our first priority is to the health and well-being of the Sturmovik Development Team and their families. 1CGS has taken steps to keep the work environment in Moscow healthy and hopefully virus free. Many of you are dealing with the same thing at your place of business and in your own homes. It's a crazy time to be honest. This event has already disrupted our team and not allowed Jason to travel to Moscow and meet with the team to plan the future development of Great Battles. If it becomes necessary, most if not all of the team can work remotely from home and we can continue making progress on our development goals. Nevertheless, some disruption to our plans may occur. Let's all hope this damn virus goes away and effective treatments and a vaccine is developed quickly.
And we must keep the proper perspective, we make a video game, there are many other more important matters in life to worry about, so for anyone in our community that may be in a part of the world that has already been hard hit by this virus know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. And if any of you are on the front lines as nurses or doctors or emergency personnel please be safe out there! Everyone, please exercise good common sense and practice good hygiene to help slow the progression of the virus.
It's possible that many of us will choose to stay indoors or may be forced to be indoors and IL-2 may be a good activity to pass the time. So, with that in mind, we have placed a couple of Promo Codes into everyone’s profile on the IL-2 website. They are for 50% Off Battle of Bodenplatte and Flying Circus Vol.1 and 75% Off all other previously released content. Pre-Order (Battle of Normandy and Hurricane, Yak-9 and Yak-9T Collector Planes) and Early Access content (Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka) are excluded. The codes are good for 30 days. We have also put the entire Rise of Flight catalog on sale at 75% Off for the next 30 days.
Due to Steam rules, we cannot offer a sale on Steam at this time, but you can always link your accounts if you’d like to take advantage of this offer on our website.

Again, hope everyone will be able to stay safe and healthy!
Best Wishes,
The IL-2 Sturmovik Team

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
My wife is a teacher and she will be working from home this month. Since I also work online, we can stay at home.

But some friends and family are going about as before, and some are even having a birthday party today...
Of course, I'm the weird one for staying at home, but frankly I don't care.

---------------------

Some statistics of the Portuguese cases ( https://www.sapo.pt/noticias/covid19 ) :
Male - 60%; Female - 40%
Most cases - 30 to 59 years old

So it's not old guys at all.

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Yes it's serious in Spain, full quarantine measures - you can only go out to work or essential shopping.
There's talk about some European wide border /sanitation control measures being decided Monday.

(Family / friends are waking up to the situation because TV has canceled the normal live entertainment shows)

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I came across a good article explaining the difference between the "normal flu" and COVID-19 in this article by former CDC Director Dr. Tom Friedman. Exceprt:

Symptoms. Some symptoms of flu and Covid-19 are similar: a dry cough and fever. Covid-19 more often causes shortness of breath and difficulty breathing -- a sign to seek immediate medical attention. Influenza causes aches, fatigue, headache and chills; these appear to be less common with Covid-19. Flu symptoms tend to come on abruptly, getting worse in a day or two. With Covid-19, symptoms may be more gradual and take several days to get worse. If you are sneezing, or have a stuffy or runny nose, the good news is that you probably just have a garden-variety common cold -- ironically, one possibly caused by a different coronavirus.

Covid-19 is more infectious than flu. It appears a person who is infected with Covid-19 spreads it to more people than the flu, so it may spread farther and faster than flu.

Covid-19 is more likely to kill than flu. On average, about 1 in 1,000 people who get flu die from it -- mostly the elderly and people with underlying health conditions, but flu sometimes kills healthy young people and pregnant women. We don't know the precise case fatality ratio for Covid-19 because of incomplete testing of possible cases and insufficient information about outbreaks. But so far, Covid-19 appears much deadlier than seasonal flu, and quite possibly deadlier than the flu pandemics of 1957 and 1968, each of which killed more than 1 million people around the world. Those pandemics had estimated case fatality ratios far below 1% -- and Covid-19 may kill more than 1 in 100 people who get sick with it. This is not as high as the 1918 flu pandemic, which has been estimated to have killed 2.5 of 100 who it made sick, killing an estimated 675,000 Americans at a time when our population was one-third what it is today. As with the flu, older people and those with serious health conditions such as heart or lung disease, cancer or diabetes are at much higher risk.

And there is a fundamental difference in how flu and Covid-19 kill. Many deaths from flu are caused by secondary bacterial pneumonia and heart attacks that develop after the flu has weakened someone's resistance. With Covid-19, most deaths are caused by acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), which causes already-damaged lungs to fill with fluid, and makes breathing difficult. Unlike pneumonia, there is no pharmaceutical treatment for ARDS. That is why a potential shortage of ventilators is so dangerous: They are the last-ditch supportive treatment for Covid-19 while the body heals itself.

Another article that I found helpful is here: [URL="https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/13/elderly-relatives-coronavirus-advice"]How to give your elderly relatives coronavirus advice: a doctor’s view[/URL]

Please be careful, everyone!

EDIT:
Informative video here:

Ending quote: "My job is not to scare you out of your wits, it's to scare you into your wits.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
---------------------

Some statistics of the Portuguese cases ( https://www.sapo.pt/noticias/covid19 ) :
Male - 60%; Female - 40%
Most cases - 30 to 59 years old

So it's not old guys at all.

The elderly aren't necessarily who it's infecting most, but they are the population with the highest percentage mortality rate. It's not killing many younger people.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Re: Epidemic of coronavirus

I forgot to say that I have a cough and cold. Don't know whether it is coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.