Cool Photography

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Oh my god, I can't believe that this thread can be dead for so long, I think another year is an apt time to revive what is a magnificent and should be a lively thread

I don't know if this is cool by your definition, but I found these gems among hundreds I shot last Sunday (coincidentally an exact year after Andy's post) with my new spanking Canon G15 (yay, finally, a proper camera with some manual control!)

IMG_0140.JPG

Waiting for the world to change

For some people, traffic jam is notorious for the stress and is hated because of it. But I see differently. For me a traffic jam is like having the whole road posing for you, it's an entire scene in which slow motion you can capture many emotions. In this picture, which I composed purely by instinct (that's what 4 years of oil painting did to me) I managed to discard all the anxiety that is usually invoked by the activity of having to wait for your turn to move, instead I centered upon the direction boards and an outdoor ad, which have this particularly fitting portrait of a woman who seems to be waiting, but in an expression that is so serene. A very unique thing that I have managed to found out about traffic jams as I have 23 years of experiencing it is that, when the jam moves, the whole world moves with you, and so it gives the illusion that as you are changing, the world follows you with it, or the other way around. So this picture, at least for me, invoked a feeling that rather than rushing all the things around and being impatient, we can just be happily waiting, for the world to change.

IMG_0143.JPG

In Line

The separator line, which here is very long like a snake, in a rare moment before one of those cars would try to slip into any space that they can find, which would have ruined this kind of composition, but luckily I captured it right in that moment, and with the motorcycle in the edge acting as if it's the head of the snake. And of course, the wet asphalt and the diffracting red light of the lamps from the windscreen adds a particularly beautiful ambiance.

IMG_0147.JPG

Infiltration

Some people just can't wait, in this particular situation, the whole gap which purpose is for a safety net is being used by impatient drivers to go their way, and the effort to drive in one of those is like climbing up the mountains of troubles that is in front of you, a stark contrast to my previous photo which captures the sereneness of traffic jams, this one, just 15 minutes later, captured the hurrying folks who just can't wait.

IMG_0165.JPG

In anticipation

I captured this particular frame in what is near the end of the jam, there's a crossroad ahead of this picture, an exit from the torturous hell of a journey for many, leaving them in anticipation of what's ahead, and this particular composition left me a little bit of the feeling.

IMG_0209.JPG

Three's A Company

I was aiming for shooting the ambiance created by afternoon lights peeking through the clouds and along came these three motorcyclists. I was walking and they were moving through, and luckily my hands were fast enough to half-click the shutter and expect them to come in this formation before they all exit the junction, and their movement, and regularity were thus frozen forever in time.

And my favorite amongst them all

IMG_0170.JPG

The Daily Confrontation

I have always liked to capture the life of everyday working people, whenever I'm on the shuttlebus or just in the commuter cars seen in this picture, I've always been imagining myself capturing the moment, to spill it out later when I have the time (and the urge) to work it on my canvas. 5 years later, when my brush is all dry and I still can't bring myself to take all those toxic paints into my small habitat, I finally got myself a camera, and when I brought it to this trip here, I was blessed with my favorite lighting. The contrast and bluish hue brought in by the foggy sky and the reflecting surfaces made by rain water just after a rain is just beautiful and within this perfect environment, I found this gem.

all except for the "Three's A Company" were shot from inside a shuttlebus, and I was lucky enough to have the front seat available and yes the distortions which came from the wet windscreen are particularly pleasing for me. I tried to as much as possible to shoot at aperture wide open and minimal zoom, to maximize my camera's potential, since it doesn't have a fancy APS-C sized sensor. I still don't know which's the better photographer in here, the camera, or me, but we should learn to know in the next month or so :) .

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So, since we left off a year ago not much changed with the camera.
I built a 3D printer around the new year, and redid all internal mechanics, replacing scrap with purpose-printed parts.
That made it up to 10 times faster and more robust - only 5 minutes per HD shot instead of an hour and a half!
Add to that a 3D printed ZnSe lens assembly, and the picture gets better.
You can see darker parts, however the focus range gets very short.
iron-130326.jpg

The intersection of art and engineering at its best.
What i hoped to do when i started that project was to make pictures that are art from technology.
In the thermal bands, humans and other things essentially emit light.
I wanted to make pictures of everyday things in the light of a human body, a kitchen lit up by a boiling water kettle, a hair dryer blowing luminous air into your face, etc.
To take pictures like that you need a high resolution direct-sensing camera in these bands, something you can only find on space telescopes and in military stuff.

Heat is ever a problem - the semiconductor sensors that can pick up these waves are cooled down to LN2 temperatures and below for a reason.

Just today i got a new sensor - the same InGaAs photodiode, but in a solid enclosure and with a thermoelectric cooler in it.
If the TEC can cool it down enough, i might just get my pictures.
If the TEC is not enough, with that solid enclosure i can go up to eleven with dry ice, and get the pictures.

So, either way, more pictures are coming.

Meanwhile, some old ones from the rig:
120416-sunset.jpg

120426-window-night-10.jpg

sitha241

Reaction score
Nice pictures Artlav..
I saw on your page numerous projects..
Do you plan to put how you made 3d printer? :)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
damn artlav, I think I have to finally ask you this, what in the name of the seven probes is your day job? and how did you gain so much skills in so wide an area? :lol:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Although done with cellphone I found them interesting:

pl-03.jpg

pl-04.jpg

Unstung

Reaction score
I will get training on how to calibrate the MER's Pancam soon, so there's that. I wonder if any pictures from Opportunity could be considered as my work in the future, but I don't even remember the tiny amount I read about calibrating the Pancam.

Butterflies from a few days ago:
orange_against_turquoise_by_unstung-d65886o.jpg

bright_flight_by_unstung-d6578fn.jpg

vertical_vertigo_by_unstung-d653tm6.jpg

ready_for_takeoff_by_unstung-d657a0y.jpg

zebra_eagle_by_unstung-d65863k.jpg

racing_stripes_by_unstung-d65863u.jpg

Unstung

Reaction score
The lack of activity in this thread disappoints me.

I've recently complied all my photographs taken at or around ASU that I've edited and uploaded to the web. It's been just over a year and 25 photos.
Album here, oldest to newest

Some of the photos:
mammoth_bw_by_unstung-d5fos6e.jpg
(September 2012)
walking_by_unstung-d5n3psc.jpg
(December 2012)
blue_evening_by_unstung-d5u6v5f.jpg
(February 2013)
lac_noir_by_unstung-d5ub54e.jpg
(February 2013)
geometry_by_unstung-d5zmvb9.jpg
(March 2013)
quasi_symmetry_by_unstung-d64mbks.jpg
(May 2013)
orange_sky_bridge_by_unstung-d6kpofc.jpg
(September 2013)
shapes_by_unstung-d6oz6ey.jpg
(October 2013)

The photos in the post above were captured with a DSLR (Nikon D3100), while these were taken with a point-and-shoot (Canon PowerShot S90).

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The photos in the post above were captured with a DSLR (Nikon D3100), while these were taken with a point-and-shoot (Canon PowerShot S90).

I prefer the latter, but I'm into architectural and street photography.

The lack of activity in this thread disappoints me.

Sorry... Let's see some more 35mm monchrome film.

These next two are from an old prison in Lorton, Virginia, which has been turned into a county park. They are demolishing some of the structures while others are fenced off. Meanwhile, there is a gated community next to it, which I find ironic.

picture.php

picture.php

This next one is from the waterfront in Alexandria, Virginia. I used a Lensbaby lens to get the distorted edges.

picture.php

All these were shot on Kodak TriX film, which I believe just got sold, but the new owners say they'll keep making it thankfully.

All three of these were printed and developed in "lith" developer, which gives them that grain and color. The first two were on Arista EDU brand paper while the last is on Fomatone MG Classic paper. Different chemistry in the different papers yields very different results.

I prefer the Arista for that gritty dystopian look, and the Foma paper for that dreamy look. By changing up the developer chemistry I can get even more control.

E

ex-orbinaut

Posted this one on a drawing thread over on another forum some time ago because it inspired me to do some "sketches". It is my ex-bike, taken circa 1997, at 6:45-ish AM, from the outskirts of Tabacundo village looking towards the Cayambe volcano. It was one of a series of three test photographs taken at different shutter speeds with my Pentax MG SLR, this being the most underexposed of them. I did not see the strange effect until it was developed. Strangely, I find females don't see it as readily as males. Something in that?

picture.php

Sorry about the scan quality. BTW, it is NOT a photo-shop job, do whatever analysis you like. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Look at the mountain near the summit, I think.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
What is the strange effect??

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Oh is it the green lights?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
By the power of Grey Skull!! How did I not see this sooner?? amazing!

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
It's probably compression artifacts or lens aberrations