:thumbup:

This one is the most powerful:
s640x480

large: http://pics.livejournal.com/sergey_larenkov/pic/000029eg

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
About historical processes, here're a couple of videos showing the Daguerreotype process, which was one of the first photographic processes. The first video is a French animation with no sound, and shows it step by step:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I got some interesting shots from my flight home yesterday - the horizon was very hazy, and the gradient from white to light blue to dark blue gives the illusion that we are a lot higher than 36,000 feet:

P1000437.png

P1000418.png

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Shooting out of jetliner windows is always tough. You are confined, the wing or engine is often in the way, and of course the windows are scratchy and produce flare. But it's nice when you can capture the awesome view.

More on Daguerreotypes: Click this link and read the article.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/07/ff_daguerrotype_panorama/

That series of images was shot in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1848 and is the equivalent of 140 thousand mega pixels! Dust specks smaller than red blood cells actually hurt the details!

And the science and tech behind how they are restoring it is very neat, too.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Shooting out of jetliner windows is always tough.

You can still take pictures of the sky from inside a plane? Surprising. I thought that as soon as the camera comes out, the crew and other passengers would scream "ZOMG! A TERR-OW-RIST! He's planning to BLOW UP THE CLOUDS!" and then they would shoot antitank rocket launchers all around to the cry of "SAVE TEH CHILDREN!".

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
IIRC I heared that some people even ask to take out that dirty inner windows and that it's possible. Should be OK for the plane, but today everyone can fly, so there are propably many ignorant people that think that the plane will crash.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You can still take pictures of the sky from inside a plane? Surprising. I thought that as soon as the camera comes out, the crew and other passengers would scream "ZOMG! A TERR-OW-RIST! He's planning to BLOW UP THE CLOUDS!" and then they would shoot antitank rocket launchers all around to the cry of "SAVE TEH CHILDREN!".

I also thought that the rules would be a little more restrictive, especially since you can't take liquids on board unless they are in a bag that has certain dimensions, etc..., but I filmed the takeoff and landing without trouble. Also, they let me go in the flight deck (after landing) two years ago, and I was even allowed to take pictures:

SANY0272.jpg

SANY0271.jpg

Also, here's a similar fascinating picture from 60,000 feet in the Concorde:

fl560.jpg

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Back on topic:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/13888708"]Journey through Canyons on Vimeo[/ame]

Unstung

Reaction score
Shooting out of jetliner windows is always tough. You are confined, the wing or engine is often in the way, and of course the windows are scratchy and produce flare. But it's nice when you can capture the awesome view.
Just get as close to the window as you can, with the camera's lens on the glass, and set the focus to infinity. Also use a lower f-stop. You can zoom in to get rid of the wing, around 100mm will do the trick.

http://unstung.deviantart.com/art/Freezing-the-Rain-174573365
http://unstung.deviantart.com/art/Lucky-Sky-174576857

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Here is a cool photo by iconic Australia photographer Max Dupain, of an iconic Sydney building (Australia) square, designed by iconic Australian architect Harry Seidler:
C1.9a_Max_Dupain_7987-14.A4.gif

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
That canyon video is absolutely STUNNING!

I recently got a new camera - a Canon T2i with a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. I am hoping to get a 70-300mm IS lens around Christmas, and maybe a a macro lens in the March. I hope to post many of my images here as well as look in awe at others' work. Here are a few from a local airshow.

747lcfpano.jpg

Dreamlifter
IMG_3321.jpg

Harrier transitioning from hover to level flight
IMG_3169.jpg

Dreamlifter
IMG_3178.jpg

Wing
IMG_3410.jpg

F-15 with Afterburner
IMG_3606.jpg

F-18
IMG_3659.jpg

F-18 Climbing with the Dreamlifter in the foreground
IMG_3748.jpg

Thunderbirds
IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3869.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

You can view the rest here - http://picasaweb.google.com/102290390373829549121/RockfordAirFest#slideshow/5500877246917817810

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
A recent trip to Cumberland, Maryland, yielded these 35mm images printed on 8x10" paper and scanned in via my junky Lexmark:

The two images of the locomotive passing under the overpass show the difference between using regular B/W developer vs. lith developer. The effect is stunning, although these two lost a lot in the scan.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
FSXHD: I like the perspective in that under-the-wing shot :speakcool:

Andy44: I especially like the last one. Feels very...powerful :)

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
So a page ro two ago I was making test cell phone photos of my laptop screen as part of a project to photgraph my add-ons and other futuristic subjects using primitive photographic processes.

Lately I've struggled hard to do something special; I've managed to capture some images of the Lunar Transfer Vessel Allegheny using a hand-made 4x5 camera and glass plates with hand-coated emulsion. Many hours have gone into this, and I've finally gotten somewhere.

These look like they were shot through H. G. Wells' telescope:

atomicmoonship1a.jpg

The first one was very overexposed, as my meter lied to me about how much light my laptop screen emits. By partially washing it down with hot water, I was able to bring out some of the lost details, which is why it looks so beat up, but I tried a few more times and adjusted the exposure times to do a better job. Here are two more attempts:

atomicmoonship2a.jpg

atomicmoonship3a.jpg

I'm pleased with the results: a primitive photo of an atomic spaceship.

Although I think I could do better, by not smearing the emulsion so much.

These are 4" by 5" glass plates scanned in on a flatbed scanner. Lots of hard work and anxiety go into this sort of thing, but it's really somthing when it works right!

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
They look really nice Andy. The wide field of view you are using in Orbiter really enhances the size of the ship.

This shot from APOD is awesome (click to read description):
I've been to Loch Ard Gorge and it is one of the most beautiful places I know. A shot of mine from a little further along the coast:
S7303380.JPG

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
They look really nice Andy. The wide field of view you are using in Orbiter really enhances the size of the ship.

Well, I think it's just the standard 40 or 50 deg FOV. I used a +1 close-up lens attachment so I could get the camera in close to the screen. You know, I meant to get the limb of the Moon in the shot like I did on the first attempt, but somehow I got caught up in positioning the view so the ship fills up the screen at a cool angle that I forgot the Moon. Still looks cool.

I think the streaks might be from water that got trapped under the emulsion when I was spreading it onto the plate. The emulsion comes as a hardened gel inside a light-proof bottle. You submerse the bottle in hot water for a few minutes to liquify the emulsion, and then, under a safelight, you pour some of it onto the support plate and spread it with a fingertip (using a glove if you're smart). Some of the hot water might have dripped off the bottle when I was doing this; I noticed it happening the other day and caught it. We'll see how the next batch of plates turns out.

One of these days I'll have to show off the camera I built.

This shot from APOD is awesome

Sure is. I'd love to pull that off some day if I ever get into that sort of thing. When I first started with the photography obsession I wanted to do some astro but I didn't have the telescope and associated equip. Plus I got interested in other subjects which don't require all that gear and expertise.

The movie that picture links to is stunning.

Last edited:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I tried my first timelapse tonight, and I took a photo a minute for approximatley an hour facing south. For my next one, I would like to continue the photo into the night while switching to timed exposures to show the stars moving across the sky.

Also, I am getting into the more technical side of astro-photography with my first landscape shots in the astro-photo thread. I used multiple exposure times in layers to give the foreground and stars, and tried using dark frames to remove some noise.

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cool video George! In the 2x time lapse part (00:21 to 00:23), you can clearly discern the Earth shadow approaching from the left. Nice!