Computer Specs for Hi-res?

Danny Ramone

Reaction score
Hey,

Just looking through some of the add-ons and i have seen quite a few hi-res textures. Just wondering what kind of specs my comp would require to run these at a minimum? My computer is better than required for basic orbiter but im thinking i may have to upgrade in the near future.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
For Seth Edens earth and mars L10 textures to run at the same time you'll need at least 1GB of RAM. What video card do you have now?

Danny Ramone

Reaction score
Im not gonna lie, right now im using on board graphics as my old card blew up. Even then I only had a Gforce 4. Im thinking my ram needs to jump up into the GB's

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
You'll never make the hi res textures work without more ram and at least a decent video card. I mean they may work, but frame rates will be terrible. Gforce is a good card, but you'll definately need something with at least 256mb onboard, preferably more.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Why not try and tell us? :)
In fact, what about starting a table of performance as a function of hardware and installed addons, to give other users an indication of what to expect? This would also point out critical parameters, e.g. if what types of graphics cards do well, or which addons are frame rate hoggers ...

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
but be warned the intel Video cards are crap

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I run lvl 10 on my machine with 2GB ram and two Nvida 8800's SLI. Getting about 200 fps.. No problem.