Comet NEOWISE

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This night the sky was not quite clear. Took camera and tripod to a car park on a hill. There were ~6-7 people waiting to watch the comet. Later a young father came there with his two sons who were really excited to see a comet for the first time in their life!
Again shot with 60mm focal length on a crop sensor which is too short.

Attachments

• 2020_07_18-23_01_57_DSCF2254_RT-kl.jpg
    2020_07_18-23_01_57_DSCF2254_RT-kl.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hurray for the great advances in mobile phone cameras - strange how pics like these now can even be considered "not so good" as they're taken, whereas a curiously not so long time ago, such as back when I was last up in Europe, most digital camera hardware (including most devices intended to be used exclusively as cameras) were barely able to keep up.

Lucky us in the various hemispheres of the world where stuff like this cannot be viewed no matter how far one bends his neck - anyone who sees it most likely can share a reasonably decent shot.

This is not to belittle the photography skills of those of you who did get the shots - on the contrary: Great work, guys! thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Again shot with 60mm focal length on a crop sensor which is too short.

How much brighter does that make the image? We took a drive to a find a dark location tonigh,t and under rural skies well after dark it was only visible in averted vision, but you seem to have it clearly visible in twighlight.

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How much brighter does that make the image? We took a drive to a find a dark location tonigh,t and under rural skies well after dark it was only visible in averted vision, but you seem to have it clearly visible in twighlight.

The photos were taken 1 1/2 to 2 hours after sunset.
If you don't own an astro tracker, longer exposure times can be used with shorter focal lengths. I had 5 seconds and ISO 3200.
In direct view the comet was barely visible. I only found it after a probing shot at 12 mm :lol:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Managed to take a picture in which it's barely visible:
R68tiua.jpg

Same pic with the comet highlighted:
Ou7N0hk.jpg

It ain't much, but it's honest work.

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
Here are some photos I've managed to take :) 350 mm focal length with an APS-C sensor, 2.5 seconds exposure, ISO 1600 (only the first one is 5 seconds with ISO 800, IIRC): https://imgur.com/a/bVsdbtB

Also, I've made an attempt to use these shots to estimate the comet's orbit, just to see if I could do that myself - and much to my surprise, I've managed to get results quite close to the official ones :) Even though these are hardly precise astronomical observations.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm very much enjoying seeing all the photos - thanks for sharing :)
I had another good view night before last just before 1AM. At the same time I saw the ISS go right overhead, blazing bright gold, followed by a meteor! Top notch :thumbup: