News Changes to the SpaceX BFR rocket.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now there is a "Elon Musk gives away fake money ad" embedded shortly before launch on SpaceX official stream. ouch

(And it absolutely not looks like AI at all.... )

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Lots of plumes visible.... speed stopped at 24000km/h... MECO?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Now there is a "Elon Musk gives away fake money ad" embedded shortly before launch on SpaceX official stream. ouch

(And it absolutely not looks like AI at all.... )
That is not the SpaceX channel...
@iventspacexstarship2
🤦‍♂️

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So, it looks like there is a fake SpaceX account on Youtube, 100000 subscribers might be a hint.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
LOS from Starship near the end of the burn... it seems to be kaput

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That is not the SpaceX channel...
@iventspacexstarship2
🤦‍♂️

Yeah, was not visible at first glance. I didn't see a SpaceX livestream for today except on X, the scammers simply used the vacuum on Youtube

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks like some dent in the tank farm again.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Yeah, was not visible at first glance. I didn't see a SpaceX livestream for today except on X, the scammers simply used the vacuum on Youtube
The visuals didn't match the sunrise I was watching on the EverydayAstronaut stream, and it seemed very much like the first launch.... plus the clock didn't match. For some reason I couldn't get the official stream working, so this ended up being a late-minute distraction.
Anyway, still watched everything in the EA stream. Now showing tracking replays!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, I wanted to switch to the SpaceX stream when they are in flight to get some better insider data.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I'd like to see the pre-staging seconds again, as it seems some sideways venting was going around the middle of the vehicle.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
F_OEPhhW0AApPr-

Lots of debris, but nothing like the shower of rocks of the first one

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Replay:
Indeed venting visible before staging, plus a considerable yaw...

Seems like 2 shutdowns, and then AFTS ending it.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Did Starship make it to suborbit or did it RUD as well?

SH looked pretty clean, all 33 engines did well until the flip and boost back. I think the hot staging ring was an afterthought and the top of SH really wasn't designed or capable of taking thrust like that. I wonder if Starship took damage as well during staging.

I also wonder about the aerodynamic stability of the stack. I would expect that Starship is pretty light for these tests, with no payload and minimal fuel. As the fuel in the SH burns down, the center of mass would be pretty far aft. Not impossible to fly, but aerodynamically it would need very active pitch and yaw control to fight the tendency of flying backwards.

They have some fixing to do, but now they have actual flight data up through ascent and staging at least. With the high altitude hover tests they have done, the remaining flight regimes where they are lacking flight experience are mostly on-orbit and re-entry.

steph

Reaction score
I wouldn't have expected it to fail so far into the flight. At that point , even cutting the engines would have yielded useful info. Perhaps fear that it would survive reentry and fall on land? Steeper descent than nominal would make that unlikely, I guess...

That vent that was there even before separation makes me wonder if there wasn't some shockwave damage during launch. What looks lile shockwaves could be seen hitting the tank farm during launch, and those probably reflected back. Makes me wonder if the N1 launchpad, with radial flame trenches and the rocket launching upright, without a launch tower or mucj of anything around wouldn't have been a better idea. That, and hot staging making booster return quite unlikely

diogom

Reaction score
Did Starship make it to suborbit or did it RUD as well?
Seems like FTS triggered not long before planned SECO. Jonathan McDowell put it at -1740 x 150 km.

That vent that was there even before separation makes me wonder if there wasn't some shockwave damage during launch.

This one? That's ship engine chill, it gets redirected from the ship's engine bay down a pipe extending through the hot stage ring and is vented at the booster interstage level. It takes long enough that it starts before liftoff to be ready at stage separation.
1700325952553.png1700326268646.png

Honestly exceeded my expectations, no scrub on a short window, sticking with 33 from the start and all the way up. Though I had also figured if the ship made it off, SECO would be a safe bet and its death would be during reentry, that was a tad disappointing. We have a clearer picture at the hot staging sequence, reducing to 3 at half thrust on the booster was known, but how many they relit for boostback and how many the ship ignited in one go wasn't certain. My armchair take would be maybe some pressurization issues during that flip for the boostback, only because it kinda reminded me of SN8 and SN9 not managing to relight. Pad seems relatively fine, having people back so soon is a good sign, there's a fresh dent on one of the tanks though, so something large enough still flew off. Aerial photos shouldn't take long.

Interesting to see what the next steps are. As the meme demands, B10 and S28 are/should be ready for engine testing and S28 at least is one step above 25, and if there's nothing new on the regulatory side for the ground systems or FTS, a January flight doesn't seem impossible. On the other hand, they were seemingly waiting on this one to install a new (horizontal) tank farm on the old landing pad area, and the existing tanks also have new pumps and subcoolers waiting to be piped in (to reduce prop loading to under an hour). But then this past week, pieces for a second tower started to arrive on site, so it might recontextualise that new tank farm they've been waiting on. IIRC there's room for some 9 horizontal tanks.