Cassini pictures of Saturn system

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Yeah. That are very nice pictures of saturn.:speakcool:

MAraujo

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the whole hexagon! It shouldn't be more than a couple of months until the terminator unveils it completely.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So, did anyone tried a radar on that giant, to make sure there is no solid surface?

The northern clouds in one of the pictures is just one of the best space shots i've ever seen.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
I don't know if they made radar checks but I that saturns middel density 0.7g/cm3.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, did anyone tried a radar on that giant, to make sure there is no solid surface?

Why would they want to?
It should be pretty clear that Saturn is a gas giant and has no solid surface in the conventional sense.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
As I said before he must be a gas gigant because he has an density of 0.7g/cm3.;)

MAraujo

Reaction score
If you look at an adiabatic profile of the gas giants, its pretty clear that there has to be a solid metallic inner-core surrounded by a liquid metallic outer-core. Even though there is a lot of heat, there is simply too much pressure for the giants to gas all the way through.

As Punk says, we know the density of Saturn to quite low, suggesting a very small core (somewhere in the size range of the inner terrestrial planets, but without the heavier metals).

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Yes saturn must have a solid core.
The value 0.7g/cm3 is only a avarage value. The atmosphere is very light and the core is very hard. Saturn can't have the same density everywhere because of its mass.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
As I understand it, they would have a solid core but the transition between solid, liquid and gas layers would be quite gradual, or blurry. Like (from inside out): solid->graduated density supercritical slush->supercritical fluid->liquid?->gas.

Pquardzvaark

Reaction score
Those are some really nice pictures. I really liked the ones where Saturn was viewed sort of through Titan's atmosphere, and the one of the trajectory of the particles in one of the things being disrupted by the Moon.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As I understand it, they would have a solid core but the transition between solid, liquid and gas layers would be quite gradual, or blurry. Like (from inside out): solid->graduated density supercritical slush->supercritical fluid->liquid?->gas.

If there was liquid at any point, there would be a clearly defined surface. Liquids tend to create oceans...

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
If there was liquid at any point, there would be a clearly defined surface. Liquids tend to create oceans...
Only if they have something stable to sit on, which a supercritical fluid does not provide.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
How hard is it to make a solid state compressible probe, with a camera and a transmitter with enough penetration for Cassini to hear it thru a few Mm of gaso-liquid?

Send it on a rocket like the one that pushed New Horizons probe, and it will be there before we see Pluto.

If they are so scared of nuclear rockets, shouldn't they at least provide some close-up pictures of what we lost?

I wonder what these clouds look like from inside, that is:
article-1172205-049200E9000005DC-236_964x593.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wow...that is impressive.

Ark

Reaction score
Awesome. Cassini is probably my favorite of the outer planet probes.