Can't Start Surface Base Wizard

Master of Blades

Reaction score
I've got a problem with Surface Base Wizard, when I start it, I get an error message saying: "Component "MSCOMCTL.OCX" not correctly registered: file is missing or invalid", and the program will not start.

I have followed the installation instructions, however, I did not understand the last bit, about making your computer use a dot as a decimal, and allow OCX file, how do I configure that?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I've got a problem with Surface Base Wizard, when I start it, I get an error message saying: "Component "MSCOMCTL.OCX" not correctly registered: file is missing or invalid", and the program will not start.

I have followed the installation instructions, however, I did not understand the last bit, about making your computer use a dot as a decimal, and allow OCX file, how do I configure that?

I have the same problem, with a different symptom. It tries to change the Outlook 2002 installation, for having this object. I can start it by hitting cancel fast enough... but it now eats my runways. :(

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Using dot as decimal symbol is a US setting for numbers, which is required by Visual Basic, therefor by my software.

If you do not want to mess with Control Panel, just run this in the background before running my program
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1057"]EU2US converter[/ame]
This will make a temporary change of settings for those who have European settings.

As for the OCX file, just put the file where you want it to be, and double click it to register it. OCX is a standard ActiveX control that is available in the net.

I do not have Vista, so I haven't tested it under such condition.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Double clicking OCX files does not register them on my PC. But the problem seems to be part of my setup anyway, it applies mostly to Pocket PC users.

I know why I hate OCX files... one of the worst ideas of microsoft to create another COFF executable, next to EXE, DLL, SCR, DRV and OBJ.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hav you tried registering it manually with regsvr32? Solved it for me.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hav you tried registering it manually with regsvr32? Solved it for me.

Does not fix the outlook 2002 problem, need to find the software CD of my mobile phone again...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
what are you doing with the surfacebase wizard on a cellphone anyways?? :lol::blink:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
what are you doing with the surfacebase wizard on a cellphone anyways?? :lol::blink:

It wants to install something from the outlook 2002 retail CD (OUTRET.MSI) when starting SWB. It does start when canceling this installation request...

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
It works fine for me (surface base wizard)

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
It works fine for me (surface base wizard)
Most of issues that are addressed when I release a program are more related to limitations of Visual Basic (like US settings) or Windows issues (like the use of OCX files) or compatibility issues of Visual Basic (this Outlook 2002 issue is new to me, I do not use Outlook 2002 anyway). In any case those issues are caused by Microsoft and not by me.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, you could also have too many assumptions of the availability of settings and OCX files in your programs, but I can't look in your code or tell you how to code VB better - I have no clue on VB.

I know that I rarely have such problems in C++, as it is a very explicit language, requiring you to exactly say what you are using and doing, making you

a) aware of what your program is made of.
b) annoyed by relying on too many external references and preferring simpler solutions.

I will look how the program fares when I can give it the Outlook 2002 CD it requests. I hope it is pleased and stops bothering me with such requests.

BTW, do you already use VB 2008?

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I get odd notices saying not all planetary data found when I try to look at some bases with it. Does Orbiter need to be running in another Window or something ?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
and is there a tutorial on how to setup runways in surface base wizard ? ?

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
You create runways in the object browser.

To find instructions, in the HTML manual that comes with the program, use CTRL to search for Editing a runway (or another object)
Those instructions tell you how to edit a Runway.

Manual has a section called RUNWAY SEGMENTS SCREEN that explains runway segments.

Notice that if you click on the grid you get some coordinates, you can use the END1 or END2 button to paste the coordinates as End 1 or End 2 for your runway.

Surface Base Wizard is a tool for users who know how to manually edit a base.
I would advise newbies to read this tutorial on bases
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2733"]Tutorial: How to create surface bases[/ame]

I get odd notices saying not all planetary data found when I try to look at some bases with it. Does Orbiter need to be running in another Window or something ?

No, it probably means that you have an old addon for Orbiter 2005 or earlier, for those bases did not have latitude and longitude.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Notice that if you click on the grid you get some coordinates, you can use the END1 or END2 button to paste the coordinates as End 1 or End 2 for your runway.

Is it also possible to include a bitmap as reference image?

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Is it also possible to include a bitmap as reference image?

One of the runway object properties is RWTEX which is the texture you use. My program uses a texture directory and this is where you should put your texture so you can see it when you run the program.

In the object browser you select the runway and there is a button that has a runway on it. This button allows you to edit segments and this is where the runway texture would appear.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
One of the runway object properties is RWTEX which is the texture you use. My program uses a texture directory and this is where you should put your texture so you can see it when you run the program.

In the object browser you select the runway and there is a button that has a runway on it. This button allows you to edit segments and this is where the runway texture would appear.

Not the runway texture - I mean a reference bitmap for placing buildings and runways. Extracting a good satellite image from Google Earth or NASA World Wind is no problem, processing it to show more contrast is also pretty straight forward.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Not the runway texture - I mean a reference bitmap for placing buildings and runways. Extracting a good satellite image from Google Earth or NASA World Wind is no problem, processing it to show more contrast is also pretty straight forward.

Look for TILE VIEW SCREEN in the manual.
I recommend to convert tiles to 2048x2048 before using it in my program, for better precision positioning.

Also you might like to look for TIP: FOR ADVANCED USERS in the manual and then look for the link to exercises, and look for exercise 4.

Notice that you need Orbiter tiles, not just a sat photo.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
No, it probably means that you have an old addon for Orbiter 2005 or earlier, for those bases did not have latitude and longitude.

I edited all my Base configs so that they included Lat. and Lon. points in them but it looks like some slipped by me somwhere. Thanks for the tip.
:peace:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
damn... i did not want to take the effort of making tiles. well, then the hard way.