General Question Calculating total dV for a mission?

Scattykat

Reaction score
Is there a way to calculate, in the mission planning stage, the total amount of dV required for a mission - say Earth to Mars and return?

I've become quite confident in performing missions in the DGIV, XR2 and Arrow Freighter and now I want to make the missions as efficient as possible and calculate the amount of fuel needed for the whole mission prior to launch. Once I have the dV data for the whole mission, I can fuel up using the burn time calculator, which tells me the total amount of dV the ship has.

I have a sneaky suspicion the only mfd which might be able to do this is TransX, which I am not familiar with at all and can't seem to get my head round - I use Imfd for all navigation but it only does one stage of the journey at a time.

Any advice would muchly be appreciated.... thanks.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
How about [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5418"]this[/ame]?

That, TransX and IMFD are the only ones I can think of that would do it, and AFAIK they will all tell you the deltaV requirements from orbit. No addons tell you how much extra fuel you will need to overcome air resistance and gravity-drag in your initial launch.

Scattykat

Reaction score
Thank you both agentgonzo and francisdrake - both of the links provided have been very helpful. I've downloaded the Trajectory Optimization Tool and taken a look at the Atomic Rockets' page, which offers dV values for round trips, launch and deorbit burns ... very handy! :)

Thank you!