Poll Browser Wars Take 2!

Which web browser do you use most often?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • Apple Safari

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opera

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Some other minor competitors that you think should be mentioned...

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Can't make up your mind...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
IE9 blows everything else out of the water in terms of speed. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself. The "Galactic" speed test is particularly fun.

Also, Tex, blocking IE is pretty lame, although I can work around it easily by using the developer toolbar to change the user agent string to something else.
Will test it as soon as Xmarks comes out for it, but I've tried the beta and it seems quite a lot better than the previous editions.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Haven't tried it yet. How's the interface in your opinion?

Talked to a fellow tech today. He's been running it on his work laptop (we're an IE shop across all our segments). He said he's about ready to go back to IE8. Hates the interface.
The only difference in the interface between IE8 and this one is that the search and address bars are combined...pretty much everything else can be configured to look the same as it did in IE8.

Thanks, I'll stick with Windows XP for now and other browsers, which I can at least run on it:
Well yeah, if you want to continue using an OS that was developed ten years ago (pretty much an eternity in computer terms), I can't exactly stop you.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
IE9 blows everything else out of the water in terms of speed. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself. The "Galactic" speed test is particularly fun.
I have IE9 for a while now, just to try it. It is faster, but it still has the same problems why the most people are avoiding Internet Explorer at all

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have IE9 for a while now, just to try it. It is faster, but it still has the same problems why the most people are avoiding Internet Explorer at all
Such as? I've used it pretty heavily on a daily basis as my only browser for several months now (starting with the beta), and I haven't needed to use any other browsers...

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
There are some script it just can't handle while others have no problems with them. I do not have a example for you right now..

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Also, Tex, blocking IE is pretty lame, although I can work around it easily by using the developer toolbar to change the user agent string to something else.

Just as lame as when certain sites block everything that *isn't* IE.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just as lame as when certain sites block everything that *isn't* IE.
Places do that?
Heck, even the Windows Update site for XP supports Firefox, I think.

The difference being that places blocking things other than IE are just ensuring that what you see is what they intended you to see, because they didn't have time to test it in all browsers.

Places blocking IE specifically are just being spiteful.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Firefox with adblock. I don't need anything more fancy

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Places do that?

Yes, but windows live hates Firefox. Also the ICQ homepage does not work properly on Firefox as well.

It is mostly a problem of both browsers using non-standard tags, though mozilla didn't add many of them since it separated from the Netscape horror.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Firefox 4. It's a bit different, but I like what I see thus far. :)

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Mine main browser is Opera,lately I use Google Chrome.
Firefox rarely use,what IE still exist?

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Firefox 3.6.15 currently, used IE before (and still hate IE-bashing). Maybe it will change again, Firefox and Orbiter somehow don't like each other on my PC...

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I primarily use the Chromium Project browser. It's basically Chrome with Google branding, user tracking, phone-home routines and non-Free plugins removed, making it pretty much the best 100% GPL-compatible browser that respects your privacy and your freedom.

Of course, my bank insists on their clients using IE6 if you want access to their online services. And it's no half-assed useragent check, either. For some reason it doesn't fall for any of the IE-faking addons for Firefox or Chrome.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
*Waves a large flag with the Google chrome logo emblazoned on it* Though, this Chromium you speak of sounds interesting...

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
Chrome - It's really fast, simple, and best of all, it works.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Mine main browser is Opera,lately I use Google Chrome.
Firefox rarely use,what IE still exist?
IE still exists and is used by something like 45% of users: http://gs.statcounter.com/

Of course, my bank insists on their clients using IE6 if you want access to their online services. And it's no half-assed useragent check, either. For some reason it doesn't fall for any of the IE-faking addons for Firefox or Chrome.
IE6 specifically? Newer ones like IE8 don't work?

Sounds like the sort of thing you need to take up with your bank, IE6 has been obsolete for years...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Places do that?

I don't have much trouble with any Microsoft sites on Opera. I've run across a couple US Govt. sites that would block anything but IE, and one other site (a travel itinerary site that my home school wanted me using for emergency contact purposes when I did my year abroad) that badly misrendered on anything but IE.

Unstung

Reaction score
Chrome is the cleanest-looking browser that I've used and the most compatible. I use it often, but I cannot live without NoScript for Firefox so Firefox will remain my default.