Auto Landing MFD?

joejccva71

Reaction score
I know there is LOLA which is what I use to land on bases on the Moon, etc...but what about something that automatically lands on Earth? Like for instance on one of the runways at Widewake International?

Is there an MFD that I can use once I complete re-entry and am about 20-25km altitude that will work to guide my DGIV to the runway?

Thanks.

Ark

Reaction score
Landing at an airport in atmosphere isn't very hard, I find it a lot easier than trying to do a zero-atmo landing manually.

joejccva71

Reaction score
The problem is I'm not sure when exactly to start my de-orbit burn. I use BaseSync MFD and Aerobrake MFD, and I can do my re-entry without burning up but I'm like 2 miles away from the runway by the time I finish my re-entry.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The retro burn window is quite wide. You can start as early as when you're on the other side of the planet and as late as 12 000 km away. However, you're gonna need to adjust your AOA to meet the target.

If you start your burn early, you're gonna fly a longer path through the atmosphere, so you'll have to lower your AOA to increase lift and decrease drag. If you start late, you're gonna have to increase your AOA so you increase drag and decrease chances of burning up. The problem appears when you increase your AOA too much and your lift falls, that means you're gonna sink into the deep part of the atmosphere quicker and increase the heat load...

In any case, the change in AOA is a matter of a few degrees. I like to stick between 35 and 42 degrees. Go lower then 35 and you risk losing your high AOA (lowest you can go is like ~29°, but keep safe). Go higher then 42 and your gonna start sinking faster... which is bad. I only use higher AOA, up to 45 in an emergency.

In a DGIV, I usually do my burn when I'm around 16 000 km away from the target and from a somewhat circular orbit of less then 200 km in altitude. That ensures an AOA of around 40°. This way, I don't end up with a boring reentry where nothing can go wrong, and still end up with an angle that I have to keep alert so I don't die.

Just keep in mind: Lower AOA gives you longer range. Higher AOA gives you shorter range. Once you're back to conventional flight after reentry, fly at the AOA which gives you highest Lift / Drag ratio. For a DGIV, it's at around 7 degrees if memory serves... look at AeroBreakMFD for that. This way you can extend your glide if you're coming up short.

rrichard

Reaction score
AUTO Landing MFD

I've put together a nice routine in Autopilot 1.7 MFD that takes me to Rwy 33 at KSC once I'm below 50,000 feet. With some work it may be adapted to any runway. I wish I had it with me now (at work :)) so I could post it. If there is any interest, I will post it...

Zane

Reaction score
works only with the shuttle

you will have to flight it yourself ;) with the help of the DG-IV autopilots...

AutoFCS works for me with the XR vessels, so although the DGIV's aerodynamics aren't as friendly as the XR series vessels, it could probably work.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've put together a nice routine in Autopilot 1.7 MFD that takes me to Rwy 33 at KSC once I'm below 50,000 feet. With some work it may be adapted to any runway. I wish I had it with me now (at work :)) so I could post it. If there is any interest, I will post it...

Does it fly the HAC ?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually, for a lifting reentry Reentry MFD is the best general purpose tool I've found for getting to my field for a runway landing. GPC MFD works with most winged vehicles, but it's trickier to use and there's a risk of CTD whenever you use it for non-shuttles.

For a ballistic vehicle like a capsule, Aerobrake MFD is the best. You can watch it as you do your deorbit burn and if you're good, you can come down within a few miles of your landing site. If you're really good, you can land in the parking lot next to the control tower! (Yes, I've done it once or twice, but it took lots of re-tries).

rrichard

Reaction score
Does it fly the HAC ?

I can track the approach path using the GPC MFD. Is that what you mean? Anyway, here it is:

// -----------------------------------------------------------
// Flightplan for the orbiter space simulation
// for use with the Autopilot MFD
//
// AutopilotMFD (c) 2005 by R. Bumm, Munich
// Modified by Randolph Richardson (2007)
// -----------------------------------------------------------
// small flightplan routine (Deltaglider) for landing at KSC RW33
//
wait altdesc 15200
set apcontrol airfoil
run apv
set speed 270.
// continous speed control througout this flight
// to: Orlando (ORL), and begin descend
waypoint 5700. 250. ORL
// further descend back home
waypoint 1500. 220. Cape Canaveral
// into left circuit RW 33
waypoint 1500. 220. DM002
waypoint 1500. 200. DM003
select DM004
wait distin 3000.
set alt 0.
set climb -10.
set speed 220.
select DM005
wait distin 1000.
// gear down
operate gear
// simulated 'ILS' landing
select RW33START
set alt 10.
set desc wp
wait distin 3000.
set speed 190.
head 330.
wait altdesc 20.
// flare ...
set alt 0.
set climb -2.0
set speed 150.
wait groundcontact
// avoid 'jumps' post landing
elv down 20.
set speed 15.
operate wheelbrake
wait speedless 20.
elv neutral
release wheelbrake
set speed 15.
// taxi circuit
waypoint 0. 15. RW33END
waypoint 0. 15. TAXI01
waypoint 0. 15. TAXI02
waypoint 0. 15. TAXI03
waypoint 0. 15. TAXI04
waypoint 0. 15. TAXI05
waypoint 0. 15. TAXI06
waypoint 0. 15. TAXI07
waypoint 0. 15. TAXI08
waypoint 0. 15. TAXI09
select TAXI10
wait distin 80.
set speed 0.
operate brakes
wait 10
select Cape Canaveral
// wait is important to receive a free pad
wait 4
select freepad
release brakes
set speed 5.
wait distin 10.
set speed 0.
operate brakes
// you must stop the ap speed engine to enable
// to shutdoen all the engines and enable refuel
stop aps
burn main 0.
wait 3
stop engines
end

A steady glide with a smooth turn (if necessary) to KSC avoids porpoising.